Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Maybe the world is ending if Benny is saying, be calm all will work out shortly.

Post WWI/Pandemic inflation explained.

Wikipedia

"Severe hyperinflation in Europe took place over production in North America. This was a brief but very sharp recession and was caused by the end of wartime production, along with an influx of labor from returning troops. This, in turn, caused high unemployment."

Seems Apples to Oranges. Both are fruit.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

Wikipedia

"Severe hyperinflation in Europe took place over production in North America. This was a brief but very sharp recession and was caused by the end of wartime production, along with an influx of labor from returning troops. This, in turn, caused high unemployment."

By all accounts we are overdue for the next recession. Will it be right after the Fed stops pumping billions a month into QE?

That action would reduce the supply (money). That would reduce consumer spending? Your guess is as good as mine.

Recession def. - Your neighbor loses job.
    Depression def. - You lose your job.

When I was a rep in a highly elastic consumer product, woman's clothing, I saw smaller orders about 3-6 months before the word "Recession" got into morning newspaper.

After 9-11, in one of his first addresses to the public, the president told Americans that a patriotic action they could take for the country is the go the the mall and but stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Maybe the world is ending if Benny is saying, be calm all will work out shortly.
    Well, it's ending for all of us, eventually, but, yeah, for me, a bit sooner than most.

Wikipedia

Um, reparations and the gold standard.

That inflation started well before the flu pandemic. It is arguable how much the pandemic contributed. The govt had fewer means to understand and mitigate the business cycle. I could still happen. Or not. (There was a clever ad for some investment firm a few years ago. The interviewer asks some older, esteemed economist from someplace like Harvard--"Can you tell when the current bull market will end and when we should switch from stocks to bonds? " "No." end of ad.

That action would reduce the supply (money). That would reduce consumer spending? Your guess is as good as mine.

Recession def. - Your neighbor loses job.
    Depression def. - You lose your job.

When I was a rep in a highly elastic consumer product, woman's clothing, I saw smaller orders about 3-6 months before the word "Recession" got into morning newspaper.

After 9-11, in one of his first addresses to the public, the president told Americans that a patriotic action they could take for the country is the go the the mall and but stuff.
    Highly elastic consumer product--women's clothing. You sold pants to fat women?

The inflation where?

I had the stitched crease double knit pull on pant market cornered. All the way up to a 60" waist. Made in Medford MA and the perfect pant for church or the Grange meeting. They retailed for $15 then. That would be $50.35 today. Same pant today from Asia, $24.99.

I had the stitched crease double knit pull on pant market cornered. All the way up to a 60" waist. Made in Medford MA and the perfect pant for church or the Grange meeting. They retailed for $15 then. That would be $50.35 today. Same pant today from Asia, $24.99.
    I can only imagine what the people in Asia who make them think about American women and their 60 inch waists.

Excellent piece about real inflation that has been devastating the middle and lower classes for decades.

https://www.profgalloway.com/inflated/

"The best things in my life — kids who made headslist this semester, a supportive mate, and financial security that (generally) enables me to do whatever I want, whenever I want — are a function of one thing: 74. Specifically, in the eighties, UCLA had an acceptance rate of 74%. I (no joke) had to apply twice. I was the first person on either side of my family to graduate from high school, much less get to attend amazing institutions for undergraduate and graduate degrees. The cost? $7,000 (total) in tuition for a BA and an MBA.

In addition, I was presented this opportunity as a function of being good, not great … much less remarkable. Higher ed catalyzed an upward spiral of prosperity for me and my family that’s been good for the commonwealth — we love America and are good citizens.

Today the acceptance rate at UCLA is 12%. Since I graduated, the number of graduating high school seniors in California has grown nearly twice as fast as the number of undergraduate seats at UCLA. To its credit, the UC system has announced plans to add 20,000 more seats to the system by 2030."

My first pair of skis, boots and poles cost about $36 in the 1955 Sears catalog. That would be $375 today with inflation. The premium tech of the day, "Laminated" skis, cost more.

My first pair of skis, boots and poles cost about $36 in the 1955 Sears catalog. That would be $375 today with inflation. The premium tech of the day, "Laminated" skis, cost more.
    The 1955 gear was a lot more expensive if you factor in hospital bills.

Did you have a silk neckerchief to wear like an ascot under your ski sweater?

Looking at the video, no ski sweater or neckerchief. Cotton Webelos sweatshirt and jeans.

That is some solid stoke right there. And shot in color too.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

So the supply/demand curve thing we learned about in Econ 101 works?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Did they come in Beige? Taupe?

Those pants have camel toe written all over them.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    So the supply/demand curve thing we learned about in Econ 101 works?
    Did your class end in “and it’s the feds fault” like bunny’s did?

The best deals appear to be at Alfa Romeo, which is averaging the lowest transaction price versus MSRP of any automaker at $3,421 under. Nobody else is close...

I guess people are desperate but not that desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    The best deals appear to be at Alfa Romeo, which is averaging the lowest transaction price versus MSRP of any automaker at $3,421 under. Nobody else is close...

I guess people are desperate but not that desperate.
    Haha, yeah, my same thought.