Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Meanwhile I'll be doing some rallycross in a privately owned Honda Fit across the state of MT.
    I'm beginning to believe that you really are DJSapp.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Smartest guy I ever listened to was a ditch digger, he said you made all that money in RE/ being too stoned to spend it, sooner or later you gotta buy something cuz they are printin it

So I got back into RE ... smart move
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    A bubble. Similar to steel prices in the early 2000's when China was building like crazy. Not all bubbles pop, some just deflate. Demand will wain as people find other places to spend their money giving supply a chance to catch up.
    bubble implies some misallocation. This is just a period of higher prices.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    bubble implies some misallocation. This is just a period of higher prices.
    That and in some areas, labor shortages. Right now in this area any carpenter, equipment operator or even concrete truck driver that is worth a shit can name their price. Problem is, little to no available housing and what is available is expensive as hell.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    That and in some areas, labor shortages. Right now in this area any carpenter, equipment operator or even concrete truck driver that is worth a shit can name their price. Problem is, little to no available housing and what is available is expensive as hell.
    it isn't just skilled labor here. sales positions, fast food, gas stations etc. can't find anyone either.
    swing your fucking sword.

Same here.

I’m short one skilled and one unskilled

No one applying for job ads.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    it isn't just skilled labor here. sales positions, fast food, gas stations etc. can't find anyone either.
    shit jobs with shit pay can’t hire boo fucking hoo

Turns out the magic solution is pay more (but not that much more) money
    https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2021/05/04/how-local-companies-are-filling-open-roles.html

no different than before the pandemic. Target doesn’t advertise pay raises in October because they give a single fuck about their slaves, they do it because the free publicity gets them thousands more applicants

No shit. 'No one wants to work' really means 'no one wants to work for what I'm willing to pay.'

Worth the watch:

shit jobs with shit pay can’t hire boo fucking hoo

Turns out the magic solution is pay more (but not that much more) money
    https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2021/05/04/how-local-companies-are-filling-open-roles.html

no different than before the pandemic. Target doesn’t advertise pay raises in October because they give a single fuck about their slaves, they do it because the free publicity gets them thousands more applicants
    I mean, I don’t really disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The local Subway is paying $22.00 an hour, from what I heard today.
    Make of that what you will.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Sign me the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    No shit. 'No one wants to work' really means 'no one wants to work for what I'm willing to pay.'
    Either work @ $20/ hr, taxed or make $16/ hr with stimulus $ + unemployment, untaxed. Same difference.

That free money will run out eventually and things will level out. There’s a balance between what companies are willing to pay vs people taking advantage of what’s being given to them for free.

Article in the Detroit Free Press this weekend about servers making $70k/ in Traverse City, MI...which is hard to believe.

Yeah, it’s all the stimmy

which is why the same shitty bus8nesses that were hiring for the same shitty jobs for 5 years are still desperate. Oh, and the cranks who ran covid farms for their employees are bitching on Fox no one wants to work for them

Either work @ $20/ hr, taxed or make $16/ hr with stimulus $ + unemployment, untaxed. Same difference.
    Not so sure about your numbers.

Well, we are about to test that theory.

Governor just announced an end to the $ 300 a federal week supplemental and is offering a $ 1200 bonus for anyone who gets a new job and holds it for a month.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

It was like that before the pandemic. It's stupid that we push everyone to go neck deep in debt to go to college while building trades, mechanics, truck drivers, and tube amp technicians* are in short supply.

*personal peeve

Yeah, it’s all the stimmy

which is why the same shitty bus8nesses that were hiring for the same shitty jobs for 5 years are still desperate
    It’s not all the stimulus money but it has an impact. We have warehouse workers making >$25/hr quitting on the spot. When asked, they tell us it has nothing to do with our company (which I would argue treats its employees pretty damn well) and they can make almost as much money by claiming unemployment along with their stimulus check and not have to do anything.

Take it for what it’s worth but it wasn’t happening pre-stimulus checks or pre-covid.

Turns out “essential worker” = disposable.

Well, we are about to test that theory.

Governor just announced an end to the $ 300 a federal week supplemental and is offering a $ 1200 bonus for anyone who gets a new job and holds it for a month.
    what’s there to test? Unemployment and the unemployment rate in Montana is back where it was
    https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LASS...de_graphs=true

LFPR is down, but people receiving unemployment don’t count for pushing that down.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    It’s not all the stimulus money but it has an impact. We have warehouse workers making >$25/hr quitting on the spot. When asked, they tell us it has nothing to do with our company (which I would argue treats its employees pretty damn well) and they can make almost as much money by claiming unemployment along with their stimulus check and not have to do anything.

Take it for what it’s worth but it wasn’t happening pre-stimulus checks or pre-covid.
    quits rate is essentially unchanged from precovid
    https://www.bls.gov/news.release/jolts.t04.htm

warehouse jobs suck balls, not saying they haven’t said that, just don’t see where this aggregate of anecdote is in the data.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post

You guys down south can quit a job for no good reason, and then still collect the pogey? That's fucked up. Need to be fired/ laid off/quit for reasons of health or safety up here to go on the dole.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    You guys down south can quit a job for no good reason, and then still collect the pogey? That's fucked up. Need to be fired/ laid off/quit for reasons of health or safety up here to go on the dole.
    State laws vary, but generally you are not eligible for unemployment benefits if you are fired for cause or quit willingly.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    My first thought was that Subway seems rather low-brow for Jackson these days.

@ BCmtn: Around here, a pogey is a fish. But yeah you don't get unemployment benefits if you just quit in this state at least. Not sure how it works with all the covid stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    @ BCmtn: Around here, a pogey is a fish.
    Heh, well the term pogey up here originated with the newfies, most often associated with layoffs around the fishing season, so maybe there was a connection?

Kinda funny, the BC govt rebranded it Employment Insurance several years ago. Seems some folk complained of the stigma associated with calling it Unemployment Insurance. Been almost 2decades since I applied for the dole, but I still remember the answers 'No, No, No, Yes, No' even if I can't remember the questions. Back when it was all submitted by paper, and not searchable against airline bookings.