Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talk me out of trying to privately rent out an extra car in MT this summer.

There are ZERO car rentals available in western MT this summer in most places. I happen to have a perfectly respectable Honda Fit (haha) with 60,000 miles on it that is going in for a detail next week and then some new tires with the idea that we were going to do a private sale.

But now I'm wondering if I shouldn't rent this fucker out to people for $250/day or $1000/week or something crazy like that and then sell it at the end of the summer.

Obviously I have collision/comprehensive plus an umbrella policy. I am sure this is shady af in like 100 different ways, but I can't really put my finger on why. If this is not 100% fucking insane, where should I advertise it?

Somebody would pay $250 a day to drive a Fit?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Probably not, but there are literally zero cars available for rent. Serious, check kayak or whatever. Zilch. I have been reading that people are cancelling trips. Maybe my price is too high but I am never personally driving this thing again so should we try to make some extra $$ before we sell it later this summer?

I just found Turo. Experiences with that? Good/bad? Is there any reason we shouldn't do this? People are fucking desperate right now.

If you google "car rental by owner" there are a couple sites that look legit. I've thought about doing something like that with my travel trailer. Don't want it to get trashed though.

Edit: Yeah, Turo is one of them. If you're going to go underground, I'd think Craigslist might work. I've seen people on there renting out their tent trailers, etc.

This is probably covered in a podcast.

Genius!

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    People are fucking desperate right now.
    Can you insure it enough that these desperate people won’t leave you with a completely destroyed vehicle inside and out?

Sounds like a headache to me honestly vs. selling it.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Don't rent to a college group trip. Field trip for one of my classes involved 10 days in AZ. The backseat of the car looked like a crime scene thanks to Massive Headwound Dave. And the van had some weird dents in the roof. The point is, the big chains can deal with breakage better than an individual.

I say go for it. Exercise complete discretion in who you rent to and make some cash.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

As someone who knows first hand that you can really only do good donuts in a front wheel drive rental car in reverse when you're in a muddy cow pasture, I'd discourage you from renting your car out to strangers.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Obviously I have collision/comprehensive plus an umbrella policy. I am sure this is shady af in like 100 different ways, but I can't really put my finger on why. If this is not 100% fucking insane, where should I advertise it?
    Would your insurance cover it if it was being rented? Just because you "have insurance" doesn't necessarily mean that the car or you are covered in the event of loss. That said, no harm in looking into Turo, I am sure that their model addresses insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    This is probably covered in a podcast.
    Brilliant.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    As someone who knows first hand that you can really only do good donuts in a front wheel drive rental car in reverse when you're in a muddy cow pasture, I'd discourage you from renting your car out to strangers.
    This. Also everybody knows rentals are best for catching air. They fly better.

Given Turo will rent to 15 year olds without a license, what could go wrong?

I've never rented a Honda Fit, but I would love to rent the car to review!

Previous car rental reviews:

Mazda3: one of the easiest vehicles to get airborne that I've ever driven
    Grand Caravan: with traction control disabled, will do burnouts on dry pavement at whim
    Jeep Liberty: can drive approximately 3 miles at 50mph with the parking brake engaged before the rear brakes fail completely. Handles square edged curbs at high speeds poorly.

Please let me know when I can stop by to rent your car!

If someone needs to rent a car and it’s a business expense they aren't paying themselves then $200 a day in a market where there are no other options just might work.

But if Dirty Mike and the boys have a soup kitchen in your little Honda the steam cleaning and stain removal fees are gonna eat into any profits.

Insurance follows the car and yours would be primary. So, I rent your car, get drunk and hit a family. Your kids didn't want a college fund anyway right?

Maybe the car renting sites have a way to insure it but seems like the risk is greater than the reward here.

Thanks for the F Shack

Love, Dirty Mike and The Boys

edit: dammit Benny

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    one foot on the brake & one foot on the gas is how them scanda hovians get the tails to hang out on front wheel drive cars

Last year I rented out a small fibre glass trillium traler to a buddy who was giving me 100$ a week for some workers to live in, I found dozens of weed contianers so they hot boxed it BIG TIME and it stunk badly but a guy wanted to buy it really bad cuz they are pretty rare so in the end i made 1300 $ more than I paid for it

BTW the FIT is a pretty good car you can even sleep in them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

BTW the FIT is a pretty good car you can even sleep in them
    sounds like he could put it up on Turo and Airbnb then.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Seems like it would be better to take advantage of high prices in the used car market now before letting a bunch of renters run up the miles and beat on it all summer. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered etc.

Idea is not insane and Turo works well from a logistics standpoint, if you're willing to take the risks and decreased future resale value.

Hey Rooty - Surveying in remote Alaska, I rent trucks and suburbans and ATVs and sleds from private parties as a matter of course. Even in places like Bethel and Kotz that have airport car rental [It's good business in Indian Country, as your wheels [boats etc] are a lot less likely to go missing if they belong to a local resident who knows everybody.]

I pay some in cash, but a lot of folks who rent vehicles have Square accounts and card readers. There's some fuckedup junkers, but most will crank and drive the 10 miles of local roads just fine. Never had trouble with vehicle owners, even when a truck picked up some damage one night at the Unisea in Unalaska...

At Smith, we used to have a fun rental car game called Gassey/Brakey. Hammer the brakes as hard as you can at a stop light. Keep the pedal down, now start smashing the accelerator--now let off the brakes! Good times and fun to watch the expressions of motorists around you.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    At Smith, we used to have a fun rental car game called Gassey/Brakey. Hammer the brakes as hard as you can at a stop light. Keep the pedal down, now start smashing the accelerator--now let off the brakes! Good times and fun to watch the expressions of motorists around you.
    Most modern cars seem like they don't let you brake torque them - computer controls.

Not that I've ever done that in a rental car or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

For me, I keep going back to Massive Headwound Dave. You do not want your car back with blood all over the back seat, doors, floor and probably the headliner. That right there is all I need to talk me out of it.

Top speed of the Fit is about 80 and it definitely sounds like it's gonna explode in that range so what's the worst thing that could happen?