Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    It’s all pink.

And blues are fun. I’m always up for a lap or two with greenhorns. Just to be social. Then I ditch them.

OP. Just be you. And accept the fact that you suck when you get ditched.
    We’ll meet up at the mahogany ridge
    Unless its a pow day i have no problem skiing all with a buddy who is an intermediate on terrain of their choice. If it is a pow day, ill probably take the first 3 laps solo and then meet back up with that buddy to watch him flounder around for the rest of the day haha. A sign of a good skier is getting in enough pow days consistently that missing pow laps to hang with a buddy isnt a big deal... there will be more snow and more pow days ahead... i ski more pow days in a year than that intermediate buddy gets ski days in 5 years.

Best way to tell others you suck - show up with shitty binders on beacoup/or new skis. Or just showoff all your cool stickers on your gear - as seen in this thread:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...08#post6220208
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

All TGR members are trophy husbands that are expert skiers with great technique who mount their own skis, BBQ beef brisket perfectly every night, do all maintenance on their 20 year old Toyota.

What's the best way to tell others you suck?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    All TGR members are trophy husbands that are expert skiers with great technique who mount their own skis, BBQ beef brisket perfectly every night, do all maintenance on their 20 year old Toyota.
    Sounds exhausting

To the Op’s question, everyone here gives the impression they are better than they are, or they don’t really talk about it. The latter skiers make you embarrassed at your lack of proficiency when you first ski with them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Correction, my Toyota is only 17 years old.

As an Intermediate recreational skier is Mahogany Ridge a ◇ trail? Asking for a friend.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Sounds exhausting

To the Op’s question, everyone here gives the impression they are better than they are, or they don’t really talk about it. The latter skiers make you embarrassed at your lack of proficiency when you first ski with them.

It is not that exhausting because our technique is so perfect from the snow to the pit to the wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    As an Intermediate recreational skier is Mahogany Ridge a ◇ trail? Asking for a friend.
    Depends on the conditions. Shirley Temple is green, wine and beer is blue. Whiskey shots are black diamonds.
    Double black usually involves hookers and blow in addition to the aforementioned.
    . . .

Too many Face plants or Bloodies may cause a prerelease. Do we have an Experts here that could guide my friend?
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Correction, my Toyota is only 17 years old.
    Sorry, maybe you could check back in three years when you qualify.

That's amazing. I've always thought I'm mediocre!
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    looking like a big dork helps.
    wtf that was uncalled for.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Whether or not you stink, taking equipment advice from a fellow skier is a waste of time and potentially money, whether or not they stink. Use a good ski review site--I like Blister--or demo. As far as reviews go, the most useful compare a ski to something you have already skied on. As far as whether you should ski with someone or them with you--whether or not they are a good companion is much more important than ability. In the BC start slow and easy until you figure out if your risk tolerance, judgement, and dependability are compatible.

At the top of a hike to a cliffed-out cirque: "Hey have you skied this run before? Is it hard?"

I had this conversation on a low-viz day halfway across the Breck peak 6 ridge traverse this year. Low tide with no way out from where we were standing that didn't involve getting air. Turns out the whole group saw people hiking and just decided to follow without thinking or reading any of the signs...

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Turns out the whole group saw people hiking and just decided to follow without thinking or reading any of the signs...
    texans. classic breck.
    swing your fucking sword.

Tell them you post on TGR. Has that not been mentioned yet?

What color is the off ramp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    I ski the blacks
    This nails it. Whenever someone says something along those lines, I know they definitely aren't even close to as good as they pretend to be. Because no one who actually skis (enough to be good) would ever say something like that.

Or really just talking about ski ability in general is a red flag. Most of the best skiers I know are super humble about it because what the fuck do they care?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    At the top of a hike to a cliffed-out cirque: "Hey have you skied this run before? Is it hard?"

I had this conversation on a low-viz day halfway across the Breck peak 6 ridge traverse this year. Low tide with no way out from where we were standing that didn't involve getting air. Turns out the whole group saw people hiking and just decided to follow without thinking or reading any of the signs...
    I deal with this on an almost daily basis during ski season. Standing on top of Microwave Bowl and some rando asks”what’s the best way down?” “do you ski out here a lot?” Etc. They just see people hiking and follow. Usually when asking this question they’re standing on the ridge line looking down a 45-50 slope with cliff bands, rocks and trees lower down. Of course they could just take their chances and follow some track the other direction but that could draw them into the next drainage miles from the road.

I ski where the good snow is. That is my ability.

I once had a father and teen son follow me out into a clogged out zone at KW. When I saw they were coming my way, I waited to see if it was someone I knew. It was not, so I asked them if they knew where they were going and they told me the just followed me.

The hit I was checking out was not in, so I traverse to a different zone that I knew was filled in. Told these two that they were in a pretty challenging zone but they could watch and see where I was going to head in.

The teen was like two seconds behind me, and he was a solid skier. Dad was more tentative, but had skills.

I ended up touring them around my hill as they skied the same pace. I would send Dad down the easier lines and kid would just follow me. I did at least explain to the Dad that his kid could get seriously hurt. Dad seems okay with this.

I basically skied with them until the end of the day. When I was splitting off and saying goodbye, Dad pulls out $80 and hands it to me and says Thank you, that was our best day in years.

Sometimes it is fun to show people around your one knock of the woods. And sometimes it pays off.

A couple of years ago I invited a buddy of mine who I never skied with to get together with my old gang . In the phone conversations leading up to our day trip he kept asking " Are you sure they're good skiers? Because I don't want to be waiting around for stragglers" I said no worries .

My one friend placed 3rd in the last bump contest he entered . The rest can keep up with him for a while but prefer groomers as we're old guys . After our first run " My friend" says ......Oh man my knee really hurts, I must have pulled something ...He was last all day .
    "It's only steep if you're backseat"

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I ski where the good snow is. That is my ability.

I once had a father and teen son follow me out into a clogged out zone at KW. When I saw they were coming my way, I waited to see if it was someone I knew. It was not, so I asked them if they knew where they were going and they told me the just followed me.

The hit I was checking out was not in, so I traverse to a different zone that I knew was filled in. Told these two that they were in a pretty challenging zone but they could watch and see where I was going to head in.

The teen was like two seconds behind me, and he was a solid skier. Dad was more tentative, but had skills.

I ended up touring them around my hill as they skied the same pace. I would send Dad down the easier lines and kid would just follow me. I did at least explain to the Dad that his kid could get seriously hurt. Dad seems okay with this.

I basically skied with them until the end of the day. When I was splitting off and saying goodbye, Dad pulls out $80 and hands it to me and says Thank you, that was our best day in years.

Sometimes it is fun to show people around your one knock of the woods. And sometimes it pays off.
    Oh, I’ve had random people tag along and been cool with it but I don’t always want to do that with someone I don’t know.

I enjoy showing friends and FOF around he mountain and them having a great day showing them stuff they might otherwise miss If they can keep up well, I will do it again with them.

OP, just loudly proclaim that I only boot up in the lodge and everyone who’s in the know will catch your drift.