Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leavenworth WA

Leavenworth WA

Hey Maggs

I might have an opportunity to move to Leavenworth.

Does anyone have any insight in what it’s like to live there. Skiing, climbing and general recreation seems great, but my German is pretty poor and I don’t own any lederhosen.

Thanks

It's crowded AF, Seattle found it.

There's a reason I'm a former artist.

But bring your sprinter, bring your yeti bike, bring your DPS, bring your rescue mutt, you'll fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by Larix View Post
    German is pretty poor and I don’t own any lederhosen.
    Yer fucked.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Marry a rich fraulein and buy some lederhosen.

And I'm guessing like every other beautiful mountain town housing will be the crux
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Marry a rich fraulein and buy some lederhosen.

And I'm guessing like every other beautiful mountain town housing will be the crux
    Cant be any worse than the current town I’m in

Is the hot sauce shop looking for an assistant manager?

Its an expensive, ugly town that gets overrun with Seattle tourists that also happens to be in the best location in the continental US for hiking, ski touring and climbing. The Enchantments and Glacier Peak are some of the best places. If I ever had an opportunity to move there I'd do it and get a place outside of town.

Seems no town is safe from the tourist and social media these days

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    But bring your DPS, you'll fit right in.
    hey now
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Did they build the roller coaster yet?

There is the rift between those who make their money from the tourist economy (tend to be the long time locals) versus those who make their money in other ways (tend to be new transplants). Each has a different idea of what they want the town to be.

Leavenworth WA

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post

But bring your sprinter, bring your yeti bike, bring your DPS, bring your rescue mutt, you'll fit right in.
    Sounds like Sandpoint. The town is pretty busy and lame but the surrounding area is great. Most people are bilingual so your lack of German fluency isn’t a problem. If you want easy access to anything you want to do outdoors it’s hard to beat. Personally I live in Wenatchee and it’s more practical but with the same easy access. It is pretty expensive but no more so than any great place to live.

TAFKALS is just bitter because he couldn’t fit in and his adhd makes him rash and impulsive. I’d take the Wenatchee valley over Sandpoint any day, better access on all accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post

TAFKALS is just bitter because he couldn’t fit in and his adhd makes him rash and impulsive. I’d take the Wenatchee valley over Sandpoint any day, better access on all accounts.
    Omg. you. may. just. be. on. to. something.

#hiswanderingeyeisalreadylookingforthenextShangri-La

Live in Plain, just N of Leavenworth
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

Takes 45 minutes to get through town on the weekends. Kind of defeats the purpose imo .

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

hit me up if you like to climb
    i could use a couch now and then

Attachment 373154
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2641.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	373174  
    Last edited by romeo tango; 04-30-2021 at 11:03 PM.
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Takes 45 minutes to get through town on the weekends. Kind of defeats the purpose imo .

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    If you live around there it’s a non issue. There are alternative routes

Town itself is very strange and not my thing, but I’ve been living there for 8 years and won’t be leaving any time soon. Yes, the high profile venues are crowded, but nearby wilderness is outstanding, and finding quiet spots to do the things i love isn’t hard. It has most of the pluses and minuses of great locations. Climate, year round recreation, access, politics, vibe and mountain friends are all spot on for me. I live out of town proper, of course. If it pencils out and you want a change of scene, why not?

Gravity always wins...

If you live around there it’s a non issue. There are alternative routes

Even I know those and I’m a tourist there. 🤫

Bouldering is world class and easily accessible. I lived near Estes Park for ten years and Leavenworth has a much more tolerable touron situation. I’d definitely check it out, as it might not be your cup of tea but if you can swing it financially it’s worth trying.

Leavenworth WA

Really getting through town isn’t a big deal, don’t travel east on Friday and don’t travel west on Sunday. Avoid holidays altogether. I never really stop in Leavenworth. We make the trip between Wenatchee and Lake Wenatchee weekly and the traffic is never too bad. Only reason I will stop is for the curry wurst and a beer at Cured, only midweek.

Never let anyone talk you into seeing the lights in Winter, never.

Yeti and dps are so 10 years ago. You wouldn’t believe it but all the townies have traded their sprinters and Stevens passes for diesel trucks with campers and his and hers sleds #powalliance. Also you better be riding a transition and team lithic or you might as well be living in Wenatchee, loser.

It’s a fake Bavarian town created by business owners from Seattle in the 60’s so your lack of German fluency isn’t a problem. If you want easy access to anything you want to do outdoors it’s hard to beat.

TAFKALS is just bitter because he couldn’t fit in
    TAFKALS speaks some truth though there’s certainly a townie mold and if you don’t fit it you’re treated as such. Passing through to the lake off-peak you might not pick up on it.

Sandpoint seems friendlier, the lake is gorgeous and the skiing isn’t Vail.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Yeti and dps are so 10 years ago. You wouldn’t believe it but all the townies have traded their sprinters and Stevens passes for diesel trucks with campers and his and hers sleds #powalliance. Also you better be riding a transition and team lithic or you might as well be living in Wenatchee, loser.

TAFKALS speaks some truth though there’s certainly a townie mold and if you don’t fit it you’re treated as such. Passing through to the lake off-peak you might not pick up on it.

Sandpoint seems friendlier, the lake is gorgeous and the skiing isn’t Vail.
    I’ve lots of Der Town friends, what it seems like mostly is that they’re unenlightened. Like most people they don’t understand quality over quantity. It’s equidistant from LW to Mission or Stevens really. Some figure it out, some don’t.

Sandpoint sucks too, but I prefer it greatly over Leavenworth. The skiing splits the difference between the depth of Stevens/Quality of Mission, the mountain access (IF you want to ride bikes) is significantly better, we get rain, we have a big ass lake with amazing access, we have a super active trail building org (built 7 miles of new trail already this spring) and lots of other great parts. But you also literally cannot buy a house here right now, unless you've got a 130% of asking cash offer. Glad we got in when we did.

Idaho and Sandpoint have their own problems for sure, and in general every "mountain town" at this point is either a) "ruined" or b) something is off.

For instance...
    Libby- great mountain access, but asbestos and some seriously odd hill people.
    Silver Valley/Kellogg - tram to nowhere, lead in the water, lead in the dirt, meth.
    Leavenworth - "ruined"
    Winthrop - "ruined", isolated AF.
    Cle Elum - on path to ruin, share lifts with all of Seattle.
    Bozeman - "ruined" x2
    Wenatchee - full of sanctimonious know-it-all medical professionals and vegans that freeheel.
    Missoula - "ruined" + crappy ski infrastructure.
    Kalispell/Whitefish - more of the same kooks in Libby and Sandpoint + Californians + mountain that somehow has more cat tracks than runs.
    NE Washington - meth, mining, more of the same people as Libby. No lifts.
    CDA - hottest spot in the US, reality has left the real estate market. When the prices in the Sun Valley area start appearing to be reasonable, you know something is wrong.

Every spot is a trade-off, and you just gotta pick what you want to compromise on.

I gave the Wenatchee valley a solid 10 year run, and it's a great place. If the job I had at the time was staying, I likely would still be there. The trouble with Washington is that there are limited easy winter recreation resources (especially lift served skiing) and there is no way the situation will improve with time. Idaho probably is a little too eager to develop things, but at least there's some room for folks to breathe if you get off the beaten path ever so slightly.

There are lifts in NE Washington. 49 and a short distance away across the border. But ya, you will probably have lead in your water and your house will get burglarized by the local meth heads.

Leavenworth WA

Sandpoint sucks too, but I prefer it greatly over Leavenworth. The skiing splits the difference between the depth of Stevens/Quality of Mission, the mountain access (IF you want to ride bikes) is significantly better, we get rain, we have a big ass lake with amazing access, we have a super active trail building org (built 7 miles of new trail already this spring) and lots of other great parts. But you also literally cannot buy a house here right now, unless you've got a 130% of asking cash offer. Glad we got in when we did.

Idaho and Sandpoint have their own problems for sure, and in general every "mountain town" at this point is either a) "ruined" or b) something is off.

For instance...
    Libby- great mountain access, but asbestos and some seriously odd hill people.
    Silver Valley/Kellogg - tram to nowhere, lead in the water, lead in the dirt, meth.
    Leavenworth - "ruined"
    Winthrop - "ruined", isolated AF.
    Cle Elum - on path to ruin, share lifts with all of Seattle.
    Bozeman - "ruined" x2
    Wenatchee - full of sanctimonious know-it-all medical professionals and vegans that freeheel.
    Missoula - "ruined" + crappy ski infrastructure.
    Kalispell/Whitefish - more of the same kooks in Libby and Sandpoint + Californians + mountain that somehow has more cat tracks than runs.
    NE Washington - meth, mining, more of the same people as Libby. No lifts.
    CDA - hottest spot in the US, reality has left the real estate market. When the prices in the Sun Valley area start appearing to be reasonable, you know something is wrong.

Every spot is a trade-off, and you just gotta pick what you want to compromise on.

I gave the Wenatchee valley a solid 10 year run, and it's a great place. If the job I had at the time was staying, I likely would still be there. The trouble with Washington is that there are limited easy winter recreation resources (especially lift served skiing) and there is no way the situation will improve with time. Idaho probably is a little too eager to develop things, but at least there's some room for folks to breathe if you get off the beaten path ever so slightly.
    It might be time to grow up Woody. We spent all of last year wandering around in the mountains with no one, yes even this winter. There’s over 20 miles of new trail 10 minutes from my house built in the last couple years. That’s just up #2 Canyon, not counting the rest of the valley.

If I found myself living in Sandpoint I would make the most of it, but I live here and the grass is never really greener no matter where you live. It’s really about making the most of what you have. 10 years is nothing if you are really trying to establish yourself. There’s no easy or quick way to become a “local”.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    There are lifts in NE Washington. 49 and a short distance away across the border. But ya, you will probably have lead in your water and your house will get burglarized by the local meth heads.
    if you don't get bit by the rattlesnakes first.