Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Leavenworth WA

I mean honestly this doesn’t all sound bad. For reference, I’m being forced out my housing in Jackson the 2nd time this year. And I was living in Yakima before here. I’d working for the Forest Service as forester in Leavenworth. Tourists, ridiculous housing and population growth is just the name of the game in mountain towns. Leavenworth/Wenatchee seems a bit more tone down to the post capitalist wasteland Jackson has become

Quote Originally Posted by Larix View Post
    I mean honestly this doesn’t all sound bad. For reference, I’m being forced out my housing in Jackson the 2nd time this year. And I was living in Yakima before here. I’d working for the Forest Service as forester in Leavenworth. Tourists, ridiculous housing and population growth is just the name of the game in mountain towns. Leavenworth/Wenatchee seems a bit more tone down to the post capitalist wasteland Jackson has become
    I will also be getting kicked out of my house here in Jackson over the coming months. Moved out here for my dream job but the housing options are slim to none, so chances are I will be quitting that job because of the housing/rental market. It's pretty awesome seeing 10-12pgs worth of employees looking for staff for the summer in the newspaper and 1 rental in Wilson, Wy for 20k a month.

And no grizzly bears!

I've been here for about 6 years now and I like it here. Most of what everyone else said is true. I think it's a bit less desirable if you're a weekend warrior and have to fight "traffic" and crowded places to recreate on the weekends. With a little creativity I have found it totally possible to get away from crowds regardless of the day of the week, skiing, climbing and biking. I don't really enjoy riding lifts at Stevens anymore (that's mostly a Vail thing) but I like touring and sledding around here more and more every year. Mission is great on weekdays, but it does get crowded on weekends. I live in town a bit away from bavarialand and like it. I'd also be happy out of town. You'll have to plan around the weekend crowds regardless, but being able to ride my bike from my front door to a handful of 5 star trails and also good bars and food in town never gets old.

Fire season can suck, but that's true everywhere in the west now.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    If I found myself living in Sandpoint I would make the most of it, but I live here and the grass is never really greener no matter where you live. It’s really about making the most of what you have. 10 years is nothing if you are really trying to establish yourself. There’s no easy or quick way to become a “local”.
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    After 35 years of bitching about my hood, I finally figured out the grass is never greener. There are trade offs everywhere and if you're lucky enough to live where people want to come to visit or live, well, make the best off it, as it could be way worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I've been in Tahoe 27 years was considering moving to wenatchee leavenworth chelan area or hood river area because I was getting forced out of housing with no replacement here. But it became apparent that it was just out of the frying pan and into the fire with all of those so after a month of homelessness (in a sprinter) I moved into a place here for 5 months before it starts over again.
    Tonight a customer asked what I loved about here and the answer came to me right away. The public lands. There is literally nowhere around here where access is even remotely an issue. With livelifeoffleash dogs this is even more important. You can park on the side of any road and go anywhere into the mountains. We are surrounded by national forest lands with almost nothing in the way of private land preventing access. Until the current housing squeeze set in it wasn't even that difficult to get a house bordering forest land so the dogs, you, your snowmobile/mountain bike etc. could just take off into the woods.
    Good news is when my 5 months at this place is over some short term rental regulations will have gone into effect which hopefully will increase the supply of long term rentals. We'll see.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    .... after a month of homelessness (in a sprinter) ....
    pftttt

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    pftttt

The horror….

yeah it worked out pretty well. An ex-gf was storing it at my place for the winter and she wasn't back until may. It was great for midweek but working on the weekends involved finding a shower or jumping in june lake before heading back to Tahoe. Having an old injured dog didn't help either since he couldn't get into the van and once in couldn't get up on a chair or the bed so i was his personal valet.
    there was also the having to move out of a place before having a place to move into, which sucked. as well as the fact that I didn't find the new place until i moved out of the old, so at that point i didn't even know if I was staying.
    but yeah, having a comfortable bucket to shit in for the month was nice.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    yeah it worked out pretty well. An ex-gf was storing it at my place for the winter and she wasn't back until may. It was great for midweek but working on the weekends involved finding a shower or jumping in june lake before heading back to Tahoe. Having an old injured dog didn't help either since he couldn't get into the van and once in couldn't get up on a chair or the bed so i was his personal valet.
    there was also the having to move out of a place before having a place to move into, which sucked. as well as the fact that I didn't find the new place until i moved out of the old, so at that point i didn't even know if I was staying.
    but yeah, having a comfortable bucket to shit in for the month was nice.
    You made lemonade out of lemons!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You made lemonade out of lemons!

More like brownies out of terds

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    More like brownies out of terds

Even better

Yessir. Paging in from the bought-and-sold "mountain towns" of the Rockies: The average single-family home price in Aspen in 2020 was $11,128,119: a 47% increase over 2019. Average single-family sold $/SF in Aspen was $1,840 versus $1,481 in 2019, a 24% increase.

We've kept an eye on the Leavenworth scene since we left Seattle 13 years ago. Friends and family in the PNW always bring up Leavenworth as where we could move to and be "nearby." We're not looking to move anytime soon, but who knows. The one thing I'll say is be happy that the town isn't (yet?) controlled by elite/global money: their developers/lawyers and the mass changes that follow. Clearly it's being devoured by the white collar weekend escape/WFH money from the region, but it's still decades behind what the situation looks like in much of CO.

If Yeti/Sprinter/DPS bros is the worst you can complain about, you've got it good. This is TGR, fwiw: we all essentially fit that mold, from a 50,000' view, right?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post

If Yeti/Sprinter/DPS bros is the worst you can complain about, you've got it good. This is TGR, fwiw: we all essentially fit that mold, from a 50,000' view, right?
    How dare you. I am a Rocky Mountain/Older 4runner/ON3P bro, bro.

Leavenworth WA

Lifetime/XJ/Dynastar here. The best part of the Wenatchee Valley is, aside from Leavenworth and Chelan, that we’re not dependent on tourism yet. There’s still a thriving economy of Ag, light industry, health care and public sector(county/state/federal).

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post

Yes but the idea is to deflect and point at others by changing the brands around a bit so you can feel superior.

Have we confirmed if it is a bike or a cooler yet? I'm hanging on the edge here..

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Yes but the idea is to deflect and point at others by changing the brands around a bit so you can feel superior.

Have we confirmed if it is a bike or a cooler yet? I'm hanging on the edge here..
    No doubt. The inverse of FOMO.

I see them as one in the same, but maybe I just got tired of the edge:
    If you're flexing the cooler game with the Yeti, you very likely have thousands invested in your rafting and/or fly fish and/or fish boat and/or 4WD/truck game.
    If your carbon sports a CO flag, then the thousands are on your person and between your legs, along with your sticker-clad, TGR-approved vehicle.

I have a Kong cooler, a Chevy Express with a TGR sticker and I frequently visit the Levenworth area. My bike is a Transition and I like On3p skis. Hope that helps.

Coleman / Huffy / Dodge Stratus

Do i fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Coleman / Huffy / Dodge Stratus

Do i fit in?

Only in East Wenatchee