Thread: Bike Pedal Help

Bike Pedal Help

Friend's pedal fell off on the way to work this morning. Looks stripped enough that I told her not to force it back on. Anybody got a quick quick fix? Smarter to trash it and buy a new one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jonna1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	663.9 KB 
ID:	373094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jonna2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	729.5 KB 
ID:	373095

Unfortunately the pedal itself rarely strips, but rather the softer aluminum crank. The bright metal embedded in the threads looks to be crank material. The pedal is fine, but the crank likely needs replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Looks like the pedal might be ok. It's the crank arm threads that are buggered.

edit: looks like riff beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Unfortunately the pedal itself rarely strips, but rather the softer aluminum crank. The bright metal embedded in the threads looks to be crank material. The pedal is fine, but the crank likely needs replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    What he said. A good mechanic may also be able to heli-coil the crank arm. It's not ideal, but it often works, and is worth a shot before you write off the whole crank arm.

That was my concern. Thanks for the quick response, everyone.

the threads in the aluminium pedal are only slightly fubared ( an oxymoran ? )

the threads are only fubared from riding the bike with a loose pedal which facked the outside of the
    thread as the pedal fell off

SO you screw that pedal in from the inside which will still have good threads, this will fix/straighten out the threads that got ruined then you CAREFULLY screw the pedal in from the outside trying not to fack the threads anyome and bob's yer uncle,

it works cuz I done this for some random milf on the trail back in the day
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    SO you screw that pedal in from the inside which will still have good threads, this will fix/straighten out the threads that got ruined then you CAREFULLY screw the pedal in from the outside trying not to fack the threads anyome and bob's yer uncle,
    Brilliant. So by screwing it in from the inside, you mean so that the pedal would be in between the spokes?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Brilliant. So by screwing it in from the inside, you mean so that the pedal would be in between the spokes?
    Or between the wheels near the ground, duh.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

yeah you will see the back of the crank arm has pristine threads its just the front side is facked

so you screw the pedal into the back of the crank which goes thru and straightens out/fixes the threads on the front side

then you screw the peadl back in the front side

the threads won't be perfect where some of them got ripped out so you need to be VERY careful you don't cross thread but once you hit the good threads in the middle you should be all good and the pedal should hold

if this doesnt work you probably need a new crankarm or insert or sft but i bet it works

tighten the threads on the other pedal as well eh

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Yeah. Screw it in from the backside of the crank. So you're basically using the pedal threads as a tap to clean up the threads on the crank.

If you have a good bike shop nearby, they might have the appropriate tap(s) on hand - you could have them clean the threads with the actual tap, which will work better. If they have the tool, it's a 30 second procedure.

if it works it works and I've done it > once

saturday morning post pandemic, thro it on the pile and we will get to it in 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If you have a good bike shop nearby, they might have the appropriate tap(s) on hand - you could have them clean the threads with the actual tap, which will work better. If they have the tool, it's a 30 second procedure.
    That's what she did. And to XXX below, yes, they are all pretty busy even during slack. People seem to have transitioned to mtn biking faster than ever. Sunday: lifts are spinning. Monday: lifts are closed for the season; everyone's instantly on a bike.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.