Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Fuck podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    When podcasts have production values and good content, like "Crimetown", they can be enjoyable but the only time I ever listen to them is on long drives when my wife wants to listen to one. If it's just some guy talking, fuck that. Although Bill Burr and Norm, I'd listen to a few minutes at least.
    Burr was half professional sports before the lockdown , especially the NFL, and huge hockey fan. Now he's just riffing bits a lot because I don't think he cares much for baseball. And, I'm not a fan of most these days, especially football, but he has almost had me driving off the road, twice, with his commentary. He has a future in sportscasting, I hope.

Up until recently, I would have 4-5 10+ hour drives per year for work. Yeah, I could fly most of them but with proper planning, there's some riding, skiing or fishing and sleeping in the back of the truck along the way. Now I love podcasts for drives more than an hour. Drives over five sometimes get an audio book too. You get to pick the topic, the podcaster, etc and you don't have to pay for it. Nothing wrong with that. I do switch back and forth to music though on those drives too depending on my mood.

And Rogan is a tool but he does get some really interesting guests on from time to time so I do listen there occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    This group is getting old AF.

Saying "I hate podcasts" is akin to saying "I hate internets" 20 years ago. It's consumable media covering infinite genres in an audio format. Hard to hate something so big, no? Maybe consider the possibility that there could be something "out there" that you would actually enjoy?
    Right? I love reading, but I have minimal time available to sit down and read compared to the amount of time I have where I can listen to something while doing an otherwise mindless task. Time flies by compared to music while driving. And, yeah, free.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Hardcore History is a great podcast for beginners. Super short and condensed.
    Heh. Carlin is an artist. Calling what he does a "podcast" is almost insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Cheap podcasts where people blab for 2 hours aren't really podcasts to me - they are talk radio.

The real podcasts IMO and produced radio shows with specific approach to the audio medium - not just something that would be the same if you read it. This American Life set the standard but there are so many other great ones out there. Ear Hustle is one of my favorites.
    Yes, definitely well thought out discussion and content is a must. Besides this American life, things like the daily, skeptics guide to the universe, in the bubble, wow in the world for my kids, etc. I will have to check out ear hustle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Who else could do a 13 hour podcast on the Achaemenid Empire and keep it fresh? He's a master.
    I'm looking forward to the next episode of Supernova in the East!

RTime flies by compared to music while driving.
    This is probably my hang up. I LOOOOOVE listening to music when I drive and I can easily keep myself totally entertained for hours and hours doing this. I suppose the fact that I am either driving 5 minutes in town or much longer in rural MT makes it different than if I was sitting in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.

Never been a fan myself. Driving back from the keys a few weeks ago my wife put on Smartless pod cast, after she got sick of my music.. It was pretty funny once I got into it. One of the better/funnier podcasts I’ve listened to. And yes I live an hour from Montreal, so we had some time to really take in some radio

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i like to cast to pods of fish
    but to a musical soundtrack
    i dont refuse but i dont waste time listening
    I was listening to a podcast while driving across North Dakota the other day and was amazed to hear an actual maggot from these forums being interviewed.

Podcast = Orvis
    Maggot = Underoos

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    This is probably my hang up. I LOOOOOVE listening to music when I drive and I can easily keep myself totally entertained for hours and hours doing this. I suppose the fact that I am either driving 5 minutes in town or much longer in rural MT makes it different than if I was sitting in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
    Then try music podcasts, like Broken Record.

That looks cool, thanks.

Right? I love reading, but I have minimal time available to sit down and read compared to the amount of time I have where I can listen to something while doing an otherwise mindless task. Time flies by compared to music while driving. And, yeah, free.
    Wish TGR had a simple +1 function sometimes. I know that is millennial bullshit. But I can't read while pulling weeds out of the garden.

What's particularly fascinating about Carlin to me is that -- if you read his transcripts...you'd find very little artistry. It completely undermines "just put it on paper/into written word" argument. The artistry is in the spoken word. And the podcast format enabled that.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    What's particularly fascinating about Carlin to me is that -- if you read his transcripts...you'd find very little artistry. It completely undermines "just put it on paper/into written word" argument. The artistry is in the spoken word. And the podcast format enabled that.
    Yep. Every episode is improvised on the spot. He has notes, but there's no script. He just has an idea in his head about what he wants that part of the episode to be like and he starts riffing. Incredible.

I listen to lots of audiobooks in the car, but the podcasts I've listened to are just too damn slow to hold my interest. Maybe I'll try a few of the ones mentioned here.

Fuck podcasts.

I listen to a few good industry podcasts (energy transition show, oil and gas this week etc) on maybe more peripheral shizz that I’m needing to stay up to date on for work while running or hiking*
    It’s true that reading is superior for retaining the info but it’s handy for sneaking in incremental info.
    I’m going to chk out some of the suggestions listed here too

*the well traveled trails where I’m less likely to be eaten by a wild animal. and only in one ear before I hear any guff
    skid luxury

Hard to find current events in an audiobook.

I'm not really a climber and it's been a very long time since I've considered myself one. That said I still really enjoy at least 50% of the episodes from The Enormocast.

I wanted to love audiobooks, but for the most part I find them too slow, and that listening to something meant to be read isn’t as satisfying as reading it. That’s why radio/podcasts works better as audio - it’s made to be audio from the start.

Some I am enjoying - old and new. Some are super obvious but whatever:

Snap Judgement
    How to Save a Planet
    Planet Money
    The Indicator
    Hidden Brain
    Radiolab
    Timber Wars
    Code Switch

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Then try music podcasts, like Broken Record.
    My issue with music podcasts is I don’t get to hear the whole song very often. I did really enjoy Chuck D’s Stay Free: The story of the Clash. No Dogs in Space was ok, I made it through. Despite my love of old school country I’ve struggled with Cocaine and Rhinestones.

Broken Record looks interesting. I’ll pop it on now and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    This group is getting old AF.

Saying "I hate podcasts" is akin to saying "I hate internets" 20 years ago. It's consumable media covering infinite genres in an audio format. Hard to hate something so big, no? Maybe consider the possibility that there could be something "out there" that you would actually enjoy?
    Seriously! I fail to see the problem. The amount of content out there is just absurd. Cross country road tripping has never been easier.

what the fuck is a podcast?
    ted talk? are you ted?
    people are so important these days they need to let you know how importanat they are
    social media? same shit pot
    the internet has fucked the human race
    excpet tgr this place is important

a podcasts? about fuck?

I'm in.

(tah-dum-dum)
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    what the fuck is a podcast?
    ted talk? are you ted?
    people are so important these days they need to let you know how importanat they are
    social media? same shit pot
    the internet has fucked the human race
    excpet tgr this place is important
    I vote for Fred to start a weekly all about Breck podcast.

always thinking about writing a column for the paper
    this weeks pod cast would be fuck the man
    in a huge dust up with the man right now kinda comical when you call people out on the small town bs
    I say I'll call my lawyer, customer says no we don't like to be like that, I say it'll be worth the money, lets do it
    the architect goes off the rails for twenty mins complaning about the small town bs I'm dying laughing
    and then I appreciate people who have millions and millions of dollars in the bank, especially people who were an average dipshit who came up with a stupid idea and got so rich they don't know what to do dropping 5 million on two houses just cause they have money to spend
    then my shrink says I should consider cbd

Music rules my world, fuck the jibber jabber.

I’d listen to a Fredcast.
    I still call it The Jake.