DPS skin gloppage?

Anyone else have problems with DPS skins. I got a pair of DPS skins with my Pagoda Tour 100s and I've been having some problems with gloppage recently, granted it's spring so I go from warm to cool snow so that might explain something, but I haven't had that problem with my BD Ascensions.
    I have glop stopper well imbedded into the DPS skins, but still getting plenty of glop both underfoot and spotty glopping along the rest of the skin.
    Solutions? New skins with a different mix of fabrics?

Try hot waxing?

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

I borrowed nikwax ski skin proofer at an event, I just sprayed it on a wet skin and my ass was saved

so I was sold on the product, I treat the skins once or twice a season and they don't wet out or glop up with snow

I also carry glopstopper wax but I haven't had to use it since going to skiskin proofer

I bet you spraying a DWR product would do the same thing but i havent tried it yet
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Anyone else have problems with DPS skins. I got a pair of DPS skins with my Pagoda Tour 100s and I've been having some problems with gloppage recently, granted it's spring so I go from warm to cool snow so that might explain something, but I haven't had that problem with my BD Ascensions.
    I have glop stopper well imbedded into the DPS skins, but still getting plenty of glop both underfoot and spotty glopping along the rest of the skin.
    Solutions? New skins with a different mix of fabrics?
    They are rebranded Pomoca skins.
    Every brand offers some kind of spring wax to combat glop.
    If helpful, one vote for high/pure mohair skins: Contour Skin Wax: https://skimo.co/contour-skin-wax
    XXX'ers recommendation on Nikwax above is pretty interesting too, I might try it as well, keeping the contour in the pack "just in case"

Also having this issue, and have a follow-up question.

With spring snow debris no embedded on the glue side of my skins, what is a good method to remove that small dirt/debris? In the past with G3 and BD skins I've used the paper bag/parchment paper trick, but can that same method be used with pomoca glue?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I think the hotmelt pomoca glue is very similar to the glues on the the other brands of hotmelt glue

I always reglue my skins with goldlabel glue in the tube cuz is by far the cheapest way to buy skin glue and it works

https://www.nikwax.com/en-ca/products/ski-skin-proof/

I sponged the Nikwax product on a wet pomoca that was building up 5 " thick wads of snow and experianced instant relief , it worked all night and the next day till noon, it also it worked for the rest of the season
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-04-2021 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think the hotmelt pomoca glue is very similar to the glues on the the other brands of hotmelt glue

I always reglue my skins with goldlabel glue in the tube cuz is by far the cheapest way to buy skin glue and it works

https://www.nikwax.com/en-ca/products/ski-skin-proof/

I sponged the Nikwax product on a wet pomoca that was building up 5 " thick wads of snow and experianced instant relief , it worked all night and the next day till noon, it also it worked for the rest of the season
    Have you tried that paper bag method in order to remove grit/dirt from the skin glue without regluing the whole surface?

www.experiencedgear.net

No ^^ you could probably use rags as well but whatever you used make sure it can hang togetehr when it gets saturated with glue

I have bro who tried to iron glue using a newspaper which made a huge fucking mess of glue & newspaper so he called and i went over heat gunned/ scraped it all off

At the time he was an MD so I took the piss out of him by saying " its a good thing some professions still make house calls"

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    No ^^ you could probably use rags as well but whatever you used make sure it can hang togetehr when it gets saturated with glue

I have bro who tried to iron glue using a newspaper which made a huge fucking mess of glue & newspaper so he called and i went over heat gunned/ scraped it all off

At the time he was an MD so I took the piss out of him by saying " its a good thing some professions still make house calls"

Thanks for the intel! Ill give folks an update after i give it a go.

www.experiencedgear.net

I recently ironed a few pomoca skins with parchment paper, and it seems to have worked well. The dirt and other items that are in the glue aren't gone visually, but the glue is sticky and smooth.

I've heard that regluing is awful, so I wanted to see what I could get done without having to go that far.

As for OP question, hot wax is the way and takes less than five minutes start to finish. Less messy than a ski wax. You could do it on your mother's white carpet and there'd be no problems. If you anticipate glopping at the TH and haven't hot waxed, try crayoning on a skin wax - I keep a small piece in my bag. If you're in the field, use a scraper, credit card, or ID to get all the water out of the skin before waxing.

Glue rejuvey for glue that has hydrolisized sometimes works but it usually means you will be reglueing soon

full reglue is only awful if you don't get setup right/ or do a chicken shit job

ime

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    I recently ironed a few pomoca skins with parchment paper, and it seems to have worked well. The dirt and other items that are in the glue aren't gone visually, but the glue is sticky and smooth.

I've heard that regluing is awful, so I wanted to see what I could get done without having to go that far.
    Full reglues really aren't that bad, the first one someone does will be a sub-optimal experience. But it is something that while easy I am glad people don't want to approach themselves, I've made quite a bit of extra cash this winter/spring.

If you're along the wasatch front and need it but don't want to hassle with it yourself hit me up I am happy to take care of you, and my rates are reasonable AF. It takes me about 40 minutes for a pair of skins, and turn around time is 48hrs Max most I get back to people the next day.

you need to know what you are gona do before you start, there are lots of good you toobes on regluing

secure the skin to a bench or piece of wood, you need a heat gun/ putty knife/ iron/ parchement paper/ somewhere to wipe your putty knife

I've done it for money but I don't want to, I don't think there is enough money in it

still fixing drysuits which is almost as stinky

Tried the paper bag trick today on my Pomocas, seemed to remove some of the smaller debris I was having issues removing with tweezers. Looks like some snow falling tonight. Will report back tomorrow.

www.experiencedgear.net