cover for bike(s) on hitch tray racks?

I see them around sometimes, the cover for a bike on a hitch rack. Basically my bike sometimes takes a beating on long trips from rain/sun/salt/criminal eyes/etc.
    I found some online info, but they seem to be more for parking your bike and covering. I want something that won't flap around. It's on a Thule T2 on an Outback if that matters. I put the bike inside when I can, but not always room.
    Last summer I drove down a road near the Maah Daah Hey trail after they watered it for maintenance. My bike (and car) were covered in bentonite cement.
    I am going to put some mud flaps on, too.
    I feel like a tarp is not easy on/off.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...BoCTjkQAvD_BwE
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I tried this for a winter with my fat bike to try to keep road salt off of the rotor and drivetrain. It worked marginally and the cover shook/rattled itself to shreds that winter. Cost was about $20, though. Bought it on Amazon. Doesn't appear to still be an option. Keep in mind that if you are using this on a hitch rack that it will obstruct your taillights. I ended up building supplementary tail lights that plugged into my 7pin on my truck so I had brake a turn signals. There's a thread on it somewhere.

There has been a cover that is advertised on facebook. I can't seem to find them now but it looked really well made and had built in tail lights similar to what I made but built into the cover. I'll post back if I find it. It isn't the "Skinz" cover I'm finding online...

I also just ran across velosock which now has a version that completely covers a bike for on road transport. Might be worth a look.

taking some touring bikes to go ride in yurp i just wrapped them with a roll of shrink wrap from the grocery store
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This was a question worth asking.
    I think you really need to keep bikes well covered if you want to keep them fairly clean. Putting a bike on the back of a car though any kind of weather or dirt is not going to be good for the bike. An enclosed trailer would not be overkill to haul$$$$ bikes to your adventure destination. I think that's what the smart one's are doing now
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    taking some touring bikes to go ride in yurp i just wrapped them with a roll of shrink wrap from the grocery store
    Keeps the bikes from getting chlamydia too. But not practical for on and off hitch tray
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

An inexpensive option that I've used is to find the largest low-end BBQ grill cover at Lowes/HD and secure it with boat straps & bungee cords.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Keeps the bikes from getting chlamydia too. But not practical for on and off hitch tray
    Its just one idea, on a 13hr drive to YVR we wanted to keep the bikes clean on the back of the car

it did work

once

edit: they call it skid wrap which makes sense cuz I have seen it stretched over boxes on a skid, 12$ for 1500 ft
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-28-2021 at 10:19 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Another possible source for bike cover -- get the smallest motorcycle or scooter cover you can find, and strap it down very tightly on the bikes. Flapping for hours at freeway speeds sounds like a great way to abrade paint.

Personally I wouldn't use a cover. I have used saran wrap or plastic bag wrapped tightly around the disc brakes, when I knew I'd be driving on salted/ slushy roads -- it helped, it wasn't perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    An inexpensive option that I've used is to find the largest low-end BBQ grill cover at Lowes/HD and secure it with boat straps & bungee cords.
    I like it. I can't see a big charge for a bbq cover. Good one

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

A quick search and 50cad with free shipping

https://www.wayfair.ca/storage-organ...394.html?piid=

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    quad covers work too, bonus is you can get them to cover a couple bikes in the rack (i've covered 4)
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

^^sick

Don't overthink it. A 6'x8' mini tarp is perfect for two bikes. The grommets are just right for parachord, making it really easy to sew up a cover with the cheapo look thief-conscious bikes crave.

Couple well-placed knots keep it from unraveling at the seams upon removal so it goes back on easy. Set one edge in the front tray (or both), place bikes, wrap tarp over the top, cinch the chords and tie/bungee behind. Bonus points for a tarp with dueling brown and green colorways, but if you have to buy new the Ozarks at Walmart should break in within a few trips.

Full disclosure: I avoid deploying for driving in the dry, but I've been known to sleep more soundly with everything covered.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."