Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I'd tell myself to keep with it and trust that the bikes would get better. My first MTB looked pretty close to this (including the superlong stem):

Get really good at BMX riding as a kid then start mountain biking,

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mountain biking hurts at first. You will go anaerobic and it will suck, if you push hard enough you will feel like your lungs are bleeding. After you get past that, all will be well. The only way to get past is to ride.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Like Hank said I really wish I'd ridden BMX as a kid
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    buy a sup instead
    the impacts from suckin
    are way softer
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Don’t run your tires at 45 psi.

Attention 1990 self:
    Don't try to set up your mountain bike like your road bike
    Don't buy the ultra narrow bars and 150mm zero rise stem
    Don't buy the Girvin fork
    Don't buy the Onza pedals

Attention 2000s self:
    Do give tubeless a chance
    Do try wider rims
    Never buy anything from Crank Bros
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    My first mt. Bike was a Univega Alpina, 1986 model.
    I would tell my young self to save up a bit more, and get the Mountain Cycle/stumpjumper/whatever.
    This.

I paid $550 for my 1990 Fuji Suncrest off the show room floor at Gregg’s Greenlake Cycles in Seattle. For a little more I could have bought a classic bike (Stumpy, et al) that would be worth that or more in today’s dollars.

Buy the Stumpjumper instead of the GF Joshua.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

My Univega was stolen out of my garage. I think I paid $700 for it, turned in the theft report to the police and claimed it on my homeowner's insurance. They asked for a cost for a replacement bike, which for what I wanted was around $1,000 and I got one of these. It was the hot shit at the time. I put Manitou forks on it and loved that bike.

I rode the MB-1 for about three years or so, broke the frame on a jump and got a brand new MB-1 on warranty. I was really impressed with Bridgestone for that. Too bad they quit the bike business. Rode that until 2001 and replaced it with a Giant XTC NRS-1.

I more or less quit riding for about 12 years, just going out a few times a year then started riding 5 times a week about four years ago. After breaking multiple parts and just basically wearing it out, I got the Trance a couple of years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This should pretty much cover the first couple years for me:
    "You're going to get hooked, so skip the shitty Craigslist Stumpjumper and go right to something decent."
    "Nevagals and Weirwolves are garbage - more knobs doesn't make them good."
    "26 is dead, no matter what the internet says."
    "1x drivetrain is worth the extra money to not deal with a fucking front derailleur."
    "It doesn't matter how good it looks, that Ibis won't fit you and you'll regret it."

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Oh man I thought the Weirwolf was so sick when it came out I remember saving up to get one for the front and a Velociraptor for the rear probably exclusively due to the branding. Total overkill. I did like the Nevegal though I ran those for a long time
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Do NOT sell the Bullit and buy that horrid Stumpjumper FSR.

A trail bike is faster than an XC bike
    It's worth it getting the right wheels and drivetrain on the bike from the get go and selling the old stuff to some chump rather than constantly replacing rims, spokes, XD cassettes, eagle derailleurs.
    Oh, and never buy crank brothers

Here's something you can skip telling yourself later and just tell yourself now. Get an emtb because your going to have one later and youll be hooked and youll be sad you missed that time not having one. Just sayin

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

HA!

My buddies all rode on Nevegals or Weirwolves and told me they were 'the best'. Nevegals were slow as shit and Weirwolves packed with dirt. I decided to go with the 26" Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph combo and saved a ton of weight for better performance. Of course that was only 15 years ago, so not when I first started.

Ride as early as you can, with a smile on your face. Especially when you encounter other trail users, that may not be as cool as you!

Set your sag up correctly.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Your bar ends are going to get you hurt more than they will help.

Someday there will be clipless pedals and you can ditch the toe clips.

By the time you get old you’ll have a bike that weighs the same as the 87 stump jumper and it will have 6 inches of this weird thing called suspension.

21 speed seem like a lot but you’ll go to 30 before realizing that 11 are plenty.

Haaaa
    "21 speed seem like a lot but you’ll go to 30 before realizing that 11 are plenty."

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

excpt its not really 30 cuz there are a lot of duplicates
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    My Univega was stolen out of my garage. I think I paid $700 for it, turned in the theft report to the police and claimed it on my homeowner's insurance. They asked for a cost for a replacement bike, which for what I wanted was around $1,000 and I got one of these. It was the hot shit at the time. I put Manitou forks on it and loved that bike.

I rode the MB-1 for about three years or so, broke the frame on a jump and got a brand new MB-1 on warranty. I was really impressed with Bridgestone for that. Too bad they quit the bike business. Rode that until 2001 and replaced it with a Giant XTC NRS-1.

I more or less quit riding for about 12 years, just going out a few times a year then started riding 5 times a week about four years ago. After breaking multiple parts and just basically wearing it out, I got the Trance a couple of years ago.
    I had an NRS and I thot they were great ^^ they were like a HT until you hit something and then the shock would go slurp and suck it up
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I had an NRS and I thot they were great ^^ they were like a HT until you hit something and then the shock would go slurp and suck it up
    Yeah, I loved that bike. Wish I had kept it, I would still ride it some of the time. Oh well....

"26 is dead, no matter what the internet says."
    That's a tricky one though. You gotta time it right. 29ers sucked for a looong time. Largely because all the 29" tires sucked. And 27.5 was a clusterfuck for a few years too.

There was like a 6 month window in ~2015 where 27.5's were great, 29ers were pretty good, and 26ers could still be sold for actual money. That was the time to make the switch.

Nothing, I like surprises! I kinda knew from the beginning it was going to be fun as shit and we'd be exploring, learning, and challenging ourselves a lot together, both in my head and on our planet.