Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Agreed.
    Frenchmens st > The Commanders Palace is very good food and the best service I've ever experienced, dress code requires men to wear a jacket.
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Touristy, but Central Grocery and Deli muffuletta sandwich.
    I second those recommendations. The muffaletta could almost be two meals.

I live about 3.5 hours away, good 7 to 8 hour round trip depending on traffic from Gulf Breeze. Try to go every couple of months to spend a weekend at Harrah's and eat like a king. I tell this to anyone that will listen, if you get a chance go eat at Gus World Famous Chicken, this isn't you're regular fried chicken, this chicken is good enough to make me wake up early on Sunday and drive 8 hours to eat, it's that good. Don't forget a side of the mac and cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    I live about 3.5 hours away, good 7 to 8 hour round trip depending on traffic from Gulf Breeze. Try to go every couple of months to spend a weekend at Harrah's and eat like a king. I tell this to anyone that will listen, if you get a chance go eat at Gus World Famous Chicken, this isn't you're regular fried chicken, this chicken is good enough to make me wake up early on Sunday and drive 8 hours to eat, it's that good. Don't forget a side of the mac and cheese.
    Besides bringing my fly pole to chase redfish Gus’s is the only other thing I currently have on my must do list. I ate there last time I was there and I have wet dreams of it to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Check tye1on's jazzfest threads. I think there are a bunch but they seemed to always involve discussions about other things to do around there.

If my flight timing works I try to swing thru Drago's in Metairie for a dozen chargrilled oysters in conjunction with an airport run as it's not too bad of a detour on the way to/from the city.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Dude, that's EASY. Just shy of 400 miles. Can bust that out in a morning and be there in time for some crawfish etouffee at lunch.

Looking for history? Sheesh! NOLA's gonna blow your freaking mind:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_New_Orleans
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Louisiana

Every time I've been there, I've found the place fascinating. Almost other-worldly and very different than most American cities. Never found myself wanting to live there or anything, but always neat to visit.
    No, I mean along the way. I'm in no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    No, I mean along the way. I'm in no rush.
    Well, you WOULD be crossing the entire state of Mississippi. Jackson's along the way. If you're into Civil War era or early American history, MS is loaded with it.

Now if you're willing to cut over through LA a little bit and time it right (hopefully October since the April event's been cancelled due to COVID), you HAVE to go the Angola Prison Rodeo. It's like nothing else. HIGHLY recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post

Now if you're willing to cut over through LA a little bit and time it right (hopefully October since the April event's been cancelled due to COVID), you HAVE to go the Angola Prison Rodeo. It's like nothing else. HIGHLY recommended.
    The closest thing to a minstrel show you can see in the 21st century. YOU would recommend someone go to see some obscenely exploitative spectacle like that.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The closest thing to a minstrel show you can see in the 21st century. YOU would recommend someone go to see some obscenely exploitative spectacle like that.
    No need for you to cunt up this fun thread, Glade. Alternatively, do YOU have any suggestions for OP or for Benny's Memphis-NOLA road trip? You ever even been down to the bayou?

No civil war shit, there's plenty of that in the mid Atlantic, and better. I'm talking roadhouse and barbeque. And, well, maybe a plantation. We never had them up here.

Looks amusing and un-minstrel show like. ymmv

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Curious how you compare this to a minstrel show?

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! I plan on fasting for 3 days prior and then gaining 20 pounds during my stay! Oh and sazerac challenge is accepted!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Wait, there is a Gus's in NOLA? I thought it was just a Memphis thing. Memphis one is soo good.

If so, Benny you must eat at both

The Erin Rose on Conti st for a frozen irish coffee or 3 is a must do whenever I'm in that town. If you're on/around bourbon st and need a refreshment to cool down I can't recommend it highly enough.

Carousel bar at the Monteleone hotel is also work a stop.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I think it's the most authentic of any American city. Where as most other tourist destination cities are an amalgamation of lots of cultures, NOLA feels more singular in it's culture, still authentic from it's roots.
    I don't know about it being the most authentic. Detroit is about as authentic as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And, well, maybe a plantation. We never had them up here.

Laura Plantation - Creole heritage and slavery. Very informative.

https://www.lauraplantation.com/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Shake it, shake it Sugaree...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Wait, there is a Gus's in NOLA? I thought it was just a Memphis thing. Memphis one is soo good.

If so, Benny you must eat at both

They started franchising but shut it down due to demand.
    https://gusfriedchicken.com/#locations

I stop by their Ft. Worth store when I drive back to CO and devour a four piece, it's one of the highlights on a 24 hour drive.
    Last time I stopped by I got there about an hour before they opened on a Sunday and there was already a queue lining up outside.

It's been a couple years, so just a few top of mind recs...

Drinking- B Mac's, Chart Room, maybe a quick one at Lafitte's, Bayou Beer Garden- in Mid City, rent a blue bike and ride the Lafitte pathway; Old Point Bar if you take the ferry to Algiers. Liuzza's, either one. Carrolton Station if you take the streetcar through the Garden District.

Eating- Cochon or Butcher for dinner or lunch, respectively; Coop's; Bywater Bistro, Pizza Delicious, Neyow's, Killer PoBoys, Ruby Slipper for bkfst.

Music- [not sure of current status] Tipatina's, Chickie Wa Wa, Maple Leaf, Maison.

have a blast!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    It's been a couple years, so just a few top of mind recs...

Drinking- B Mac's, Chart Room, maybe a quick one at Lafitte's, Bayou Beer Garden- in Mid City, rent a blue bike and ride the Lafitte pathway; Old Point Bar if you take the ferry to Algiers. Liuzza's, either one. Carrolton Station if you take the streetcar through the Garden District.

Eating- Cochon or Butcher for dinner or lunch, respectively; Coop's; Bywater Bistro, Pizza Delicious, Neyow's, Killer PoBoys, Ruby Slipper for bkfst.

Music- [not sure of current status] Tipatina's, Chickie Wa Wa, Maple Leaf, Maison.

have a blast!
    Thanks D!!! I was just telling Jackie last night that I needed to text you for recommendations.

Subscribed.

As part of our reintegration into society (which is proving to be more difficult than anticipated) we're meeting some good friends next spring in NO. Looking for more intel if and when available.

None of us have ever been, and good food, booze and music are the main focus with antiques and flea markets not far behind (the French Quarter/Bourbon St/Mardi Gras days are way behind us).

I used to live there
    My advice is prolly outdated
    I lived uptown
    I stayed uptown
    The maple leaf
    Cooter Browns
    Daiquiris to go

My turn has finally come to visit NOLA through a work trip.

Been bookmarking places on the map through this thread. Currently on a starving/exercise regiment, as I plan to eat whatever good food I can get my hands on. I am a complete novice when it comes to authentic Southern/Cajun cooking, so want to hit the taste buds in every unique possible.

The wife is secretly furious about this, as she has always wanted to go, so for the mags- what would be a good gift to bring home for her?

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    The wife is secretly furious about this, as she has always wanted to go, so for the mags- what would be a good gift to bring home for her?
    Someone mentioned Hepatitis. Maybe avoid that?

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    My turn has finally come to visit NOLA through a work trip.

Been bookmarking places on the map through this thread. Currently on a starving/exercise regiment, as I plan to eat whatever good food I can get my hands on. I am a complete novice when it comes to authentic Southern/Cajun cooking, so want to hit the taste buds in every unique possible.

Something from Central Grocery. They have cool place settings and kitschy kitchen decor. So does Cafe DuMonde, which you have to do anyway whenever the weather's cool enough to drink coffee [cafe au lait]. They sell bags of their coffee too. French Market Coffee in decorative ol'skool cans travels well and is good in a moka pot, french press, po, or a drip with scalded milk or room temp half & half. Not a specific tourist item, look for it in a Winn Dixie grocery store [which BTW grocery and drug stores sell liquor in La].

Speaking of coffee, NOLA is still prob the biggest coffee port in North America, and you can buy 100lb sacks of select green beans at coffee warehouses or auctions.

Tshirt shops abound, some are themed and specialize in their own designs like "Mud Bugs", etc

There's a lot of good art around NOLA with distinctive tropical color vocabularies.

Pecan pralines travel well and are very sweet and yummy. They make a lot of sugar around NO.

Tipatina's
    Blue Nile
    Saenger Theater
    Rock 'n Bowl

Lot of really good bands never have to leave New Orleans to make good livings. Most put on great shows!

No idea if it's been recommended in this thread yet, but...Parkway Tavern for a poorboy.

Not sure where you're staying but its worth an Uber ride. The roast beef poorboy is insane. Also, bread pudding is my favorite dessert and its the best I've ever had.

Also, Sazerac Bar in the Waldorf for a Ramos Gin Fizz and duh, a Sazerac.