Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Lots of good food in NOLA, but the only thing I crave every time I’m there are grilled oysters from Drago’s. (They’re also the only thing I’ve had that I’ve really enjoyed at Drago’s, so there’s that…)

Mufalleta from Cochon Butcher is really good, but someone in the sandwich thread suggested a place they thought was even better.

Neither grilled oysters, nor Mufalleta are going to travel though.

Oh man. Almost forgot. Jacques-Imo’s for dinner then a 6ish block walk to literally the greatest dive bar on the planet...Snake and Jakes Xmas Lounge.

Fuck, I need to go back.
    Last edited by Soups; 10-18-2022 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    whenever the weather's cool enough to drink coffee.
    So, like, all the time?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I scored on some NYE Billy Strings tickets for NOLA in the lottery. I was there once, but it's only been memorialized by me pissing or shitting in a plastic potty on a corner of Bourbon St. and I was not quite 2 then.

Not looking for food, but, where should I stay? 12/30 and 12/31. I'm guessing full shit show. Just looking for a reasonable bnb or something on the north side.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Going to be there early November, and will report back with results then!

https://bluegiantnola.com/

We stumbled into this place and it did not disappoint.

Some thoughts that I didn't see mentioned above

Good food and libations
    Commanders Palace in garden district
    Hot Tin
    Arnaud's
    Antoines - the birthplace of Oysters Rockerfeller

Tipitina's for music - owned by the band Galactic - who look to be out of town between Halloween and NYE

My experience is out of date, but Preservation Hall was proper New Orleans jazz at it’s best. Peg board walls improve the difficult acoustics that the concrete floors produce.

I made the trip for work years ago and traveled with my boss, who is Orthodox Jewish. He mostly ate snack bags from his pocket cause there isn’t much of anything that is kosher in New Orleans. But we at the Kosher Cajun a couple of times. The jambalaya was fantastic for this guy who doesn’t eat pork.

Just checking in to say that Antoine's killed it last year when we were down there. It's exactly the same as I remembered it from when I was a kid. Flawless service, perfectly executed dishes, lots of champagne...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Love this place, and spent a lot of time there, but I'm not well versed on current happenings so I will leave it to others.

Best food city in the US and it's not even close, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Agreed.
    Frenchmens st > Bourbon st for live music and bar hopping. The Commanders Palace is very good food and the best service I've ever experienced, dress code requires men to wear a jacket. Spend at least a day just strolling the area around Jackson Square listening to the buskers.
    I am not a fan of N.O. It's hot, humid, and the pan handlers are aggressive. BUT, you can't walk more than a few blocks without coming across a place with really great, if not World Class, food. Amazing dining. The Commander's Place is pretty fantastic...but I also had someone else paying . Seriously...the food is that good.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Next Up on the PR Travel Guide New Orleans

From my visit, I would HIGHLY recommend Jacques-IMO’s Cafe, get the alligator cheesecake for an appetizer and everything else is phenomenal. Coops for a casual lunch. For what to buy your wife pralines of course. Or an alligator head.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I am not a fan of N.O.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The Erin Rose makes a pretty solid shrimp po-boy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8307.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	738.1 KB 
ID:	432915

Made for a solid starter.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I scored on some NYE Billy Strings tickets for NOLA in the lottery. I was there once, but it's only been memorialized by me pissing or shitting in a plastic potty on a corner of Bourbon St. and I was not quite 2 then.

Not looking for food, but, where should I stay? 12/30 and 12/31. I'm guessing full shit show. Just looking for a reasonable bnb or something on the north side.
    Damn.

My wife was in NOLA last week. She said that Willie Maes was the best fried chicken ever. And she had her purse pickpocketed from her bag somewhere around Jackson Square.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Best Jazz place we found was right on Bourbon. Super cool place though. Been there forevah.
    https://fritzelsjazz.com
    Serious ambiance.

Best thing I ate was a gator sausage in Uptown. I have had dreams about this food.
    https://www.datdog.com/files/dat-dog-pdf-menu-pdf.pdf

https://www.datdog.com

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Best Jazz place we found was right on Bourbon. Super cool place though. Been there forevah.
    https://fritzelsjazz.com
    Serious ambiance.

Best thing I ate was a gator sausage in Uptown. I have had dreams about this food.
    https://www.datdog.com/files/dat-dog-pdf-menu-pdf.pdf

https://www.datdog.com
    Holy Shit I was just there tonight! Took a client out and he insisted on going there. Some serious jazz being thrown down on that tiny stage, with the place absolutely packed. We smoked darts in that back courtyard area and listened in.

Good stuff.

Cool place, huh? I walked in and was immediately like, YES, THIS is what a jazz club should be like.
    We got front row in the stadium type seating. Not a bad seat in the place.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    what would be a good gift to bring home for her?
    I brought my wife home a half a Grilled Cheese / Collard Green sandwich from the turkey and the wolf. A worker (sandwich artist) there said they often eat them refrigerated/cold the day after they are made so it made the trip home fine and tasted awesome. Kinda random thing to bring home though, ha, but her reaction with one bite was worth it. Anyways try to go to Turkey and the Wolf for the most creative sandwiches (not counting any poboys or Mufalletas) around even if you don't take one home. There's good jewish Deli, Steins, near there too and Molly's Rise and Shine across the street is a good breakfast place, but I didn't eat at Mollys. Steins was amazing and a real local joint.

Having a hell of a night. The dinner we hosted for clients ended on a sour note when our company president decided that they’d only pay for wine in a 20+ party that drank very little of it. Pissed off quite a few clients who bust their ass and didn’t want to see a bill for single glass of bourbon.

The cheapness was called out and we ended up calling him a straight-up asshole. Fucker. We are the reason your company had success.

Needed a break, so I walked all the way to Frenchman Street and found a place called the Spotted Cat:

Name:	IMG_8348.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	338.5 KB 
ID:	433169

Update: their therapy is working. Unbelievably good music.

Getting dragged by my coworkers to the airport early since everyone is freaked out about traffic and the line going through security. Left a lot of things out that I wanted to see and eat, but overall it was a swell experience.

Name:	IMG_8381.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	319.6 KB 
ID:	433240

Name:	IMG_8360.JPG 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	433241

Name:	IMG_8313.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	364.5 KB 
ID:	433243

Name:	IMG_8383.JPG 
Size:	296.4 KB 
ID:	433244

Name:	IMG_8364.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	433245

Name:	IMG_8335.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	433246

Big Ups to all the mags who chimed in on this thread. All the recommendations helped make this work trip a perfect reprieve before returning to the cold winters lands of MT.

Love you all.

Following up on this, on our trip this last May, we had some time between check out and our flight so we stashed our stuff at a bag drop and visited the national WW2 museum. Very well done and enjoyable.

Bump. Headed to jazz fest in 6 weeks.

Get the pigs head at Cochon.

Name:  image-break-four.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  139.2 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang