Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Next Up on the PR Travel Guide New Orleans

Headed to New Orleans for meetings here in a few weeks. Since I have only been there once for a very short work related trip I am going to take advantage of this one and spend a week playing tourist. Any sights, foods, recommendations would be much appreciated! Hookers and blow are not an option on this trip since I am bringing the wife along.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

subscribing as the wife an i might head there in the fall.

I've only been a few times but the last time we went we ate at Pesche, which was awesome, and the Upperline, which came highly recommended by locals and did not disappoint; some of the most perfectly cooked fish I've ever had. All the classics are great too. If you don't mind waiting Willa Jean for brunch is a good bet. It's New Orleans so good food is around every corner it always seems. We also did a booze/bike tour of the city which was fun; weaving in and out of bumper to bumper traffic in the French Quarter while half in the bag was a hoot.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Love this place, and spent a lot of time there, but I'm not well versed on current happenings so I will leave it to others.

Best food city in the US and it's not even close, IMO.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Agreed.
    Frenchmens st > Bourbon st for live music and bar hopping. The Commanders Palace is very good food and the best service I've ever experienced, dress code requires men to wear a jacket. Spend at least a day just strolling the area around Jackson Square listening to the buskers.

Don't know how much of a history buff you are, but the WW2 Museum is unbelievable....

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Eating my way through the week is #1 on my list! Cant wait
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Spend at least a day just strolling the area around Jackson Square listening to the buskers.
    Yeah, in general there should be a lot of time baked in just strolling around the quarter.

Here are some oddball recommendations that come to mind, none of these are "must dos", just places I have hit that I liked. You can tell by these choices that I have mostly traveled as a dirtbag and didn't do the fancy places (but I am sure the fancy places are good)

Croissant D'Or Patisserie, good bakery/lunch food
    The gas station on the corner of Rampart and Governor Nicholls has killer fried chicken
    We did one of those bayou swamp boat alligator tours and it was actually pretty cool, good way to kill a few hours doing something different
    Coop's Place is a divey bar in the Quarter with good food. I think it's been "discovered" now, so hopefully still good.
    Verti Marte, little hole in the wall market/deli in the quarter, with good food
    Cafe Atchafalaya was the fanciest place I hit, it was effing delicious.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Touristy, but Central Grocery and Deli muffuletta sandwich. You can get it to go and eat it sitting on the levy of the Mississippi. St Charles avenue and the neighborhoods around Tulane and Audubon Park are a good change of pace from the French Quarter.

Awww I miss NOLA most this time of year. I’ll throw in my Rec for my dive bar of choice and a gathering spot for many Utah folks as well, the 801 Royal! Oyster shooters baby.

NOLA is one of the few towns where the tourist trap restaurants are actually worth it; Commanders, Brennan’s, ACME, Central Grocery, Cafe Du Monde, etc....

Frenchman’s for music and bars.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Rent bikes with baskets or just use the Blue Bikes.

Bywater is the place to be and Bacchanal for day drinking.
    bumps are for poor people

I've got a soft spot for mother's on poydras. It's a pretty classic local joint with most of the typical nola staples. When I lived down there I always loved going for breakfast cuz it's less touristy in the morning and their debris biscuits are tits.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Been said already but can't say it enough: THE FOOD!!! Next to NYC, NOLA is probably my top food destination on the planet. Heck. I might even put it above NYC since I freaking love Louisiana cooking. Salivating just thinking about the food there. Have fun! Go with a BIG appetite and hit up everything you can possibly take.

Lee- I will get you the list from Nat. She just got back. Word of warning... They just reopened and limit bar time till 11 pm. She said that it was nuts after 11pm, and the pre-gaming was nuts too. Way too many super drunk people at 5pm and then hordes of people out on Bourbon after 11pm.

We have been there a few times and this was the first time she felt kinda unsafe, like it could have gone either way. Keep in mind, it was a group of 9 women, so that could have had a ton to do with it.

If you can hang in the French Quarter more, that seemed to be a lot chiller.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Lee- I will get you the list from Nat. She just got back. Word of warning... They just reopened and limit bar time till 11 pm. She said that it was nuts after 11pm, and the pre-gaming was nuts too. Way too many super drunk people at 5pm and then hordes of people out on Bourbon after 11pm.

We have been there a few times and this was the first time she felt kinda unsafe, like it could have gone either way. Keep in mind, it was a group of 9 women, so that could have had a ton to do with it.

If you can hang in the French Quarter more, that seemed to be a lot chiller.
    Thanks Dan much appreciated and tell Nat thanks for me too. I wondered how things would be because of the Covid. I plan on fishing one day, already booked my guide (thanks underoos for the recommendation). We are staying at an Airbnb in the French Quarter. And I am old and kind of working so I will most likely be in bed by 11 anyway.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, keep em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by teleee; 04-27-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I plan on fishing one day, already booked my guide (thanks Underwood for the recommendation).
    Niiiiiiice. Louisiana fishing can be spectacular.

Also, believe it or not, the waters off of Louisiana are host to some of the neatest coral reefs in the country! Look into the Flower Garden if you're a scuba diver:
    https://flowergarden.noaa.gov/about/welcome.html

live Music as much as you can.

3 legged dog on the edge of the quarter, local as F and 2 for 1 drinks
    400 Burgundy St,

Sazerac @ Napoleon House, 500 Chartres Street may be the finest cocktail in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Sazerac @ Napoleon House, 500 Chartres Street may be the finest cocktail in the world.
    Not inside the Waldorf, in the Sazerac bar? I enjoyed watching the bar tender make it almost as much as I enjoyed drinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Not inside the Waldorf, in the Sazerac bar?
    OP should probably check out both and settle this debate!

My wife got hepatitis in NOLA, most likely oysters. Other than that the food was fabulous.

How about the drive from Memphis down to New Orleans? It's on my list, never been in the Delta south of Memphis. looking for food, music, and history.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    How about the drive from Memphis down to New Orleans? It's on my list, never been in the Delta south of Memphis. looking for food, music, and history.
    Dude, that's EASY. Just shy of 400 miles. Can bust that out in a morning and be there in time for some crawfish etouffee at lunch.

Looking for history? Sheesh! NOLA's gonna blow your freaking mind:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_New_Orleans
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Louisiana

Every time I've been there, I've found the place fascinating. Almost other-worldly and very different than most American cities. Never found myself wanting to live there or anything, but always neat to visit.

You could go nutria hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Almost other-worldly and very different than most American cities.
    I think it's the most authentic of any American city. Where as most other tourist destination cities are an amalgamation of lots of cultures, NOLA feels more singular in it's culture, still authentic from it's roots.