Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anybody flown with an Evoc Bike Bag

Anybody flown with an Evoc Bike Bag (for Large mtn bike), specifically on Delta or United and even more specifically to either Vermont (Burlington) or Canada. Trying to figure out if it's worth paying $500 for the case and if the airlines royally screw you over for special handling and weight and if all of that is still less expensive than trying to rent crappy bikes at ridiculous prices.

Experience and anecdotes appreciated!

Thanks!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

I have. The bag is great. Was able to fit the bike + some odds and ends (spare tire, helmet, some other stuff like that).

I was flying internationally on Westjet, which meant the bike surcharge was relatively minimal (I think I paid $85 round trip). But the weight restrictions are a lot more lenient on international flights - I think you're limited to 50lbs on most domestic flights. That's do-able with most bikes in the evoc bag, but you'll be right at the limit.

If you're not planning on flying with a bike frequently, ask around at local shops and see if anyone has a bag that they'll rent to you.

I have an Evoc bike bag I'll sell. Older, but fits a 29er FS bike - at least one from a couple years ago, I don't know what's changed with Evoc sizing since. Located in Reno.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

If you can't find a used evoc, I have had good luck with my chain reaction brand bag. It doesn't roll the best, but I use a strap or luggage cart and that works fine.

My experience is TSA is the problem not the airline. But I also try to get non-stop flights. Make sure to pack so that when TSa opens and inspect everything still protected. I have an XL v1 ripmo, and cover most of it with black pipe insulation.

Mostly fly delta or AK, no fees.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    If you can't find a used evoc, I have had good luck with my chain reaction brand bag. It doesn't roll the best, but I use a strap or luggage cart and that works fine.

My experience is TSA is the problem not the airline. But I also try to get non-stop flights. Make sure to pack so that when TSa opens and inspect everything still protected. I have an XL v1 ripmo, and cover most of it with black pipe insulation.

Mostly fly delta or AK, no fees.
    Awesome! Good to know!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I have an Evoc bike bag I'll sell. Older, but fits a 29er FS bike - at least one from a couple years ago, I don't know what's changed with Evoc sizing since. Located in Reno.
    Interested. Sent you a PM!

My wife and I each have EVoc bags and used them a lot for 8-9 years. I ride XL frames and when I got a 2019 Patrol frame it barely fit in (and that’s with all air taken out of suspension and rear derailleur removed). I flew a handful of times that way but had to really add a lot of protection around the rear end and was always sweating that the frame would get damaged.

I got a Douchebags brand bike bag which is longer and works as well as the Evoc one does.

Just be aware of your bike length. Other than that the Evoc bag worked great.

I flew across the country twice and to Europe for an alps trip and thought it worked great.

Some lessons learned would be to remove your rotors. You'll get back and try to figure out why you can't get your brakes lined up and realize the rotors are out of true. After the second trip and it happens again the light bulb goes off and you realize it was traveling in the bike bag warped the rotors a bit.

My last trip I wasn’t charged anything extra ($50 for first bag) to Perú, but I was hit for $180.00 in the Lima airport to return, for whatever reason. It was definitely overweight.
    Hope that helps.
    It seemed arbitrary.
    (American Airlines)
    Last edited by rideit; 04-26-2021 at 03:43 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Anybody flown with an Evoc Bike Bag

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Delta or United
    Read their special luggage policies online. I’d be willing to bet United will charge you $150+ each way because they are dickbags and Delta will just charge you their normal bag fee...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

it's worth having a copy of the airlines rules/fees handy (whether on paper or cued up on your phone) because I've had checkin agents try to charge me different amounts and it's hard to push back when the clock is ticking and there's an unruly mob behind you and you just want to go sit down with a beer

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    it's worth having a copy of the airlines rules/fees handy (whether on paper or cued up on your phone)
    Yep. During my peak dirtbag/crappy phase I booked a $500 direct flight to Italy on British Airways (no fee, super generous bike policy) operated by American ($150). I called each airline prior to booking and neither could tell me who's policy applied. Researched it, found out the ticketing airline's (BA) bag fee applies, but knew it was gonna be a problem. Printed and highlighted all the relevant info and showed up early. AA agent threw a fit and refused to discuss any of it. Asked for a manager - same story. Asked for another manager - dude actually was willing to have a conversation and I got my bike on the plane w/o fee.

On my way back, in typical European fashion, the Italian agent just asked for some sum of money without explanation gave up when I said there wasn't a fee.

I've also stood right next to my buddy at the ticketing counter (both of us with bike bags) and payed the fee for my bike, while he stated to the adjacent agent that his bag contained a massage table. Shit you not, no fee. In the end the schraeder valve on his rear shock was broken off during flight so #karma.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I've also stood right next to my buddy at the ticketing counter (both of us with bike bags) and payed the fee for my bike, while he stated to the adjacent agent that his bag contained a massage table. Shit you not, no fee.
    "Bicycle" can have a specific fee applied, "Bicycle Parts" do not have that specific fee.

Great info here! Thanks all!

I have flown in/out of BTV many times with Evoc bag and hardcases. Usually low crowds and attendants are pretty chill. No specific recollection of what went well with Evoc bag, but I can’t remember anything going bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Yep. During my peak dirtbag/crappy phase I booked a $500 direct flight to Italy on British Airways (no fee, super generous bike policy) operated by American ($150). I called each airline prior to booking and neither could tell me who's policy applied. Researched it, found out the ticketing airline's (BA) bag fee applies, but knew it was gonna be a problem. Printed and highlighted all the relevant info and showed up early. AA agent threw a fit and refused to discuss any of it. Asked for a manager - same story. Asked for another manager - dude actually was willing to have a conversation and I got my bike on the plane w/o fee.

On my way back, in typical European fashion, the Italian agent just asked for some sum of money without explanation gave up when I said there wasn't a fee.

I've also stood right next to my buddy at the ticketing counter (both of us with bike bags) and payed the fee for my bike, while he stated to the adjacent agent that his bag contained a massage table. Shit you not, no fee. In the end the schraeder valve on his rear shock was broken off during flight so #karma.
    My local travel agent ( who is always very good) told us BA does not charge for bikes but its subsidary probably will charge on the Britain to Toulose leg so GF printed out the BA policy showed it to the BA subsidary agent who got on the phone to someone who said just let them go, this was probably 15yars ago

traveling with a bike is a hassle i've always just use a shipping box from the local bike store which works but is too big really to get inot cabs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

@laps - Thanks for that specific information! Was wondering if bike bags would fit in the regional jets that fly into Burlington. We go to Vermont every summer for a couple of weeks so short of stashing a bike locally, traveling with them might be our best option. We tried bikeflights last year and it was quite expensive and we had to ship bikes out at least 7 days ahead of time, which meant not having bikes at home prior to the trip.

Anyway... great info! Thanks!

United hates Bikes. They are one of the last airlines that hates bikes.

Alaskan, American, South West all have good bike policies.

If you aren't flying a DH rig, you can keep it in the 50# limit with an EVOC.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    United hates Bikes. They are one of the last airlines that hates bikes.

Alaskan, American, South West all have good bike policies.

If you aren't flying a DH rig, you can keep it in the 50# limit with an EVOC.
    Alaska is amazing for flying with bikes. Worth an extra $100-200 for a ticket if you're taking a bike to fly Alaska.

Can confirm United =worst bike flying experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    @laps - Thanks for that specific information! Was wondering if bike bags would fit in the regional jets that fly into Burlington. We go to Vermont every summer for a couple of weeks so short of stashing a bike locally, traveling with them might be our best option. We tried bikeflights last year and it was quite expensive and we had to ship bikes out at least 7 days ahead of time, which meant not having bikes at home prior to the trip.

Anyway... great info! Thanks!
    No problem. Let me know if you are in the area and want to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Can confirm United =worst bike flying experience
    I have Gold status with Star Alliance (United, Air Canada, Lufthansa, SAS, Air China etc.) so my bike bag (or ski bag) is no extra fee as long as its not my 4th bag or over 50lbs. My other 2 bags can be up to 70lbs.

Look at bike flights if you can be without your bike for a few days.
    Or take a private jet
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Couple years ago I did a Moab trip where the mechanic drove all the bikes/ spares/ repair stand / spare tires/ tools/ riding gear/ various yada to vegas in a 15 passenger, we flew down and got picked up at the airport

much easier than carrying you own bike and heaven forbid having to work on your own bike

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

+ 1 on the Evoc, break down and rebuild pretty minimal compared to an older Dakine we have, using it to fly delta next week (fingers crossed)
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.