Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Loveland/Breck May 1st

Colorado Mags - I'm looking for some input/feedback for this coming up weekend.

I'm turning 40 next weekend and am kicking around flying in to do some skiing. It looks like Loveland will be the only resort left fully open. My wife and mother don't ski but will be tagging along to site see around Breck (old lady site ala shopping). We'd stay in Breck (ski Loveland) - wondering if the shops in town are open, or are they shut down for the most part due to end of season/covid? I don't want to fly my family down only to be bored for a few days because nothing is open. We drove through Vail last November for a day on a road trip and the place was a ghost town. My father is 77 and hasn't skied for about 15 years, so I plan on taking bringing him with to the slopes.
    "Whoever said skiing on fat skis is like having sex with a fat chick, has obviously never had sex with a fat chick." -Jack Handy

May is mud season and locals go to warm places. Skiing at Loveland will be magical, but wait at least til 10am for the snow to soften. You will have fun but your family not so much. Also Breck is a far drive to Loveland!

Arapahoe Basin should also be great skiing...and parties on the weekend. Better to get a condo at Keystone.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Abasin should be mostly open as well if you happen to have an IKON pass. Loveland will be fully open (minus East/West ropes, Tunnel face, the Face, and Marmot/Golden Bear) and coverage and skiing is good with another 10ish inches forecasted this week.

Do it, Loveland skied great yesterday.
    Last edited by V.R.P; 04-25-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Mary Jane is staying open as late as Loveland, so that's another option. A Basin will be the closest if you're locked into staying in Breck, and it's also probably the best place if you like steep skiing. But Loveland and MJ are both fun, and harvesting corn on the ridge at Loveland is a true joy (don't let the Lovelanders see this thread, I'm supposed to complain about the place ).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Stay in Frisco, ski Abasin.

If you stay in Breck and ski A Basin you can go over swan mountain road and miss the traffic.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for letting me know A-Basin is still fully open. I skied there and Loveland a couple years ago and had a great time while staying in Frisco.

My wife and eldery mother won't have transportation so that's why I'm leaning towards staying in Breck over Frisco. More of a walkable small ski town experience. Im just concerned that most of the tourist shops, eateries, etc, will be shut down since Breck is basically closed for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Castro's View Post
    Thanks for letting me know A-Basin is still fully open. I skied there and Loveland a couple years ago and had a great time while staying in Frisco.

My wife and eldery mother won't have transportation so that's why I'm leaning towards staying in Breck over Frisco. More of a walkable small ski town experience. Im just concerned that most of the tourist shops, eateries, etc, will be shut down since Breck is basically closed for the season.
    If you're needing transportation the Summit Stage is running.
    The Sheriff is near!

Stay in breck stuff is open in town not sure how much I dont pay attention even to what frisco will bore people in less than a half a day totally over rated town plenty of skiing options only peak 8 is open keep that in mind it can be summer like or the middle of winter plan for both breck will provide the non skiers something to do and they will be happy while you get to ski it's a no brainers song listen to anyone else about staying in keystone or Frisco it's all boarded up and carpet is rolled up in those places again the rest of your family will support your ski trips if you leave them in breck for a couple days seriously

I dunno. Still going to be really bored.

The days when town COMPLETELY shut down when the mountain closed are long gone. While mud season is when a business might shut down if the owners wanted some down time, there are enough tourists from the front range to keep most open.

Question: did you do any research before starting this thread? Because your OP said that only Loveland would be fully open, but in addition to ABasin and Mary Jane, Breck will also be open May 1st.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Question: did you do any research before starting this thread? Because your OP said that only Loveland would be fully open, but in addition to ABasin and Mary Jane, Breck will also be open May 1st.
    I had googled which resorts in CO would still be open May 1st, and the result was Loveland and Breck. Upon visiting Breck's site I saw only a part of Breck would be open and no easy slopes. My father is 77 hasn't skied for over 15 years. I don't want to outright injur the old fart, and I know Loveland fairly well so figured it would be a good place to start. Shera tipped me off as to A-Basin being open as well. Don't know why I didn't check their site first. I've only skied the Beavers and Zuma there on a deep rope dropping pow day 2 years ago. Loveland seems like the better choice for more mellow groomers for my old man.

Loveland is definitely the choice for your dad. Lots of easy stuff. Make sure his skis have a spring wax if you're not renting!

ABasin is not beginner/mellow friendly. Mary Jane (which is a little out of the way if you're not staying there) is probably better than the Basin, but still not beginner friendly. No idea what Breck has. So yeah, if you're dad is in the equation and you need to ski with him and he needs easy stuff, LL is the way to go.

The fact that Breck is still open means staying in Breck will appeal to the non-skiers, if you don't mind the drive to LL. Of course, you could also stay in Golden and give them the whole metro area! Golden to LL is maybe 15 minutes further than Breck to LL.

Golden to LL is maybe 15 minutes further than Breck to LL.[/QUOTE]

I'll take some of whatever you're smokin

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Golden to LL is maybe 15 minutes further than Breck to LL.
    I'll take some of whatever you're smokin[/QUOTE]

Seriously.

70 between the tunnel and 470 is a shit drive even with no traffic
    breck to loveland is a walk in the park compared to that stretch of 70

Golden to LL via Google maps right now is 49 minutes (whatever Google picked as Golden).

Breckenridge Ski Resort to LL via Google maps right now is 35 minutes.

What I'm smoking is good, and I'm willing to share, but explain to me how what I posted is wrong?

One is a 30 minute mellow cruise through some scenic mountain country, the other is nearly an hour of twisty, uphill, congested, aggro freeway driving?

Danno is right, and if you go (can)over the speed limit on I70 they are even closer in time. Driving through Summit is no cakewalk either. Hwy9 is a fucking shitshow too a lot of the time.

But I’d recommend staying in Breck and skiing the Basin. You don’t come to CO to hang out in Golden. And you don’t come to CO to ski Loveland. The Basin has plenty of cruiser terrain and some great scenery to check out while sitting at the bar afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    One is a 30 minute mellow cruise through some scenic mountain country, the other is nearly an hour of twisty, uphill, congested, aggro freeway driving?
    I'm sorry, how does that explain that my 15 minute time difference is wrong? And if you think driving 9 to Frisco then the same aggro freeway to LL is a mellow cruise, what are you smoking?

I'm sorry, how does that explain that my 15 minute time difference is wrong? And if you think driving 9 to Frisco then the same aggro freeway to LL is a mellow cruise, what are you smoking?
    I don't have the depth of experience with the front range/Summit that you do, so I'll defer to your expertise. No doubt that the rally from Dillon up to the Tunnel can be hairy. The last time I skied at LL and was staying west of the tunnel, I just cruised over Loveland Pass, but I wasn't in a hurry.

However, if anyone wants to talk about drive times from Marble to Aspen, we're right in my wheelhouse.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Wow. Do you actually drive I70? There's a whole thread here about it.

And driving I70 to Loveland from Frisco is a breeze most of the time besides Saturday and Sunday evening, when, of course, you won't be doing it anyway. It's the opposite direction of prevailing traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Wow. Do you actually drive I70? There's a whole thread here about it.

And driving I70 to Loveland from Frisco is a breeze most of the time besides Saturday and Sunday evening, when, of course, you won't be doing it anyway. It's the opposite direction of prevailing traffic.
    #corelocal. STFU Benny.

damn is this for real?
    the op gave up and is probably skiing vermont right now

or does everyone have there panties in bunch cause they are working like me on a totally mint sunny day in the mountains

happy may bitches