Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WTB - Sidecountry vest

Looking to purchase a vest for some side country action or light touring. Seems like the major players like Dakine, Volcom, and North Face stopped making them, and folks like What Vest are sold out for the time being.
    Looking for a Medium or Medium / Small.

Thanks!
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I got this old vest from LeeLau last month that I'm no longer using. You can have it for cost of shipping assuming you aren't in the Vancouver/Whistler area for pickup.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t-(no-avalung)

Quote Originally Posted by eggsbenedict View Post
    I got this old vest from LeeLau last month that I'm no longer using. You can have it for cost of shipping assuming you aren't in the Vancouver/Whistler area for pickup.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t-(no-avalung)
    Whoa - May take you up on that!

Quick question - there is surprising little info on this thing. Can it hold a probe + shovel?

www.experiencedgear.net

*** SOLD *** I've got a brand-new 1st gen WARY AviVest (without the airbag system) you can have for $25 to cover shipping and a beer.

Size large, dark green, without any of the airbag components. Wear as just a heavy-duty avi gear vest, or if your current vest is getting ratty, swap your airbag system into this new vest.

The front has two large lower pockets, and two smaller upper pockets on either side of the zipper. The sheath through the shoulder strap is for the airbag trigger, but could also house a hydration tube.

The rear shovel/probe compartment is quite large and is accessible from the top zipper or the full side zipper. The upper pouch on the back is designed for the airbag, and closed with velcro on three sides. I'm not sure what the lower straps are for. There are two more small lower side pockets on the back, one for the air cylinder and the other maybe for a water bottle?
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 04-25-2021 at 11:15 AM.

I'd take one after rfconroy.

WhatVest currently has four different vests in your size.

WhatVest!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Whoa - May take you up on that!

Quick question - there is surprising little info on this thing. Can it hold a probe + shovel?
    I'm not sure this is how the thing was designed to hold them, but this seemed to work okay. BCA B1 Blade is a tight fit inside the main pocket but it'll shove in there. My larger G3 shovel won't fit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210423_172335839.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	372503

I did see that WhatVest had stuff back in stock, but would still like to try out wearing a vest prior to spending $250-$300 on a vest.

Oaks - shot you a PM

Eggs - Think I am going to pass on your vest as stealurface had reached out pretty excited about it.

www.experiencedgear.net

I have an older whatvest. It very close to like skiing without a pack. I wear it every day because of that. No drawbacks. Always have some back protection and always have spare goggles, gloves glasses, in the main and i have my keys on the key attachment in a front pocket, goggle wipes , safety meeting supplies, energy bars in the other 3 pockets. Put my water in some rasberry vinagrette bottles. The plastic vodka bottle shape slides in and out of the quick access pocket from the side on the lower back. Had more than a few people ask me where i got it from. Ez to see it works well getting on the lift. Nothing to snag. No faffing about

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

+1, I love my Whatvest.

rfconroy- Nadia at Whatvest was a pleasure to work with. She even let me trade in a vest, that I skied few days in, for a smaller size.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    +1, I love my Whatvest.

rfconroy- Nadia at Whatvest was a pleasure to work with. She even let me trade in a vest, that I skied few days in, for a smaller size.
    Great! She did seem incredibly nice

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

bump. Looking for a largish vest for the upcoming season and beyond. I love the way the Whatvest looks, but cannot justify spending $300 on one. Does anyone have a Poacher vest, or used whatvest, or iguchi vest floating around? Im looking for something in the $150 range.

The girls over at WhatVest were having a sale coupla weeks back, I ended up snagging a SideHustle vest for $200. Its real nice.

Edit -

just checked again: looks like their prices bumped back up to $250.

I also reached out to Dakine earlier this year, they're expecting their poacher vest to be back in stock around mid-october

www.experiencedgear.net

I just bought this one on ebay for $300 shipped. Lots of pockets for skins and all essential on day tours. Airbag to boot. It's schweet
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 1.51.27 PM.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	384303
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

There's a sweet Ogio Flak Jacket on ebay right now. Don't know how to link it but if you do an ebay search, it should come up.

Dude wants a coupla bills for it but it has a best offer option. One of the best sidecountry vests IMO...

i was gifted the vest eggsbenedict mentioned upthread. its just too damn small for me. anyone want it? price of shipping.
    swing your fucking sword.

SUF pm sent thanks
    always forward but never straight

Monthly bump. Anyone holding a L/XL vest? Ogio, TNF, Dakine, WhatVest... all are considered.

This is a new one

https://bonfireouterwear.com/product...y-utility-vest

Not my style but cool to see more options

I have the ABS version of the TNF vest, but I'm a greedy hoe and would like to have one for some in-bounds adventures without the added weight of the ABS system. So add me to the list of people interested.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    This is a new one

https://bonfireouterwear.com/product...y-utility-vest

Not my style but cool to see more options
    Yeah super nice to see new options.

Im unhappy though that this new best, as well as most of the old vests (TNF, Ogio) don’t actually secure the probe or shovel handle other than with a little buckle strap (not interior). This new one looks like it does have internal storage of the shovel blade, which is better than nothing. But still, if you’re carrying the gear, it seems worthless if there’s a decent chance the gear will be stripped off in a slide.

Huh, that V-shape is truly a stand-out feature in looks and function. If just focusing on the function, that V cutout creates a lot of room for buckling boots and bindings by keeping pockets from being on top of pockets by the waist. The V also allows quicker access for pee breaks. The 2 lower front pockets could be eliminated or not used or only used to store soft stuff. They look like they rest too low on the ribcage.

I am kind of digging the Bonfire. It eliminates the waist belt of a pack and trims some excess material all in the waist area.

I would be all over the bonfire if it offered some sort of ski carry.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    I would be all over the bonfire if it offered some sort of ski carry.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That is an astute observation. And actually a pretty huge dealbreaker for a side-country oriented piece of equipment.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk