BURIED: THE 1982 ALPINE MEADOWS AVALANCHE

Awesome. Thanks for posting

Wall of White - the book on this event is a decent read...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Definitely interested in this.
    When I first took Avy 1 a long (long) time ago, it was from Norm Wilson, who was like the Yoda of maritime snow. He was a major figure in that incident having set up Alpines snow safety program and a key witness in the eventual resulting trials. I do remember him talking about it but forgot the details other than it was such a mega-storm and unique set of circumstances that the conditions for it just sort of snuck up on them.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

I used to work for the woman that survived for five days buried in the employee locker room. There is an awesome National Geographic story about the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    I used to work for the woman that survived for five days buried in the employee locker room. There is an awesome National Geographic story about the incident.
    Anna. She’s a super nice lady. Her husband Brent used to be on ski school at Main Lodge when I first started teaching.

Thanks for posting.

I know/worked with one person that was a patroller there during the incident. He was very open to talking about the incident and his experience. I wonder if he’ll be in the film. I met (and was instructed by) another former AM patroller from that time who, in 2005, did not want to talk about the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    Fuck, I've got anxiety just thinking about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Anna. She’s a super nice lady. Her husband Brent used to be on ski school at Main Lodge when I first started teaching.

Yes! I spent two winters there after college, working as Woolly the Mammoth, the mascot that was attached to the host department that she ran. She was always so kind and the mentoring that I got from that experience has had a huge impact on my life.

Definitely want to see this. I was in Yosemite's Cathedral Range during that storm. One of the skiers on our trip was a Norden Snow Survey guy, and by day 3 of the dumpage he was shaking his head wondering what was going down over in the Tahoe zone. Getting back out (which took four days) was absolutely brutal (and not terribly safe, a couple areas in particular).

Watched this last night.

She Jumps and our Avy Center coordinated the event and fund raiser.

Excellent film, the interviews, news reels and film work really brought the story home.

It's released!

Showing in Tahoe City Art Haus for a few weeks.

will be there next wednesday
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Good film. One takeaway--there is no upside to being an avalanche forecaster. You overcall it and nothing happens and everyone's pissed at you. You undercall it and people die. You get it right and no one thanks you. I'm guessing the pay sucks to.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Good film. One takeaway--there is no upside to being an avalanche forecaster. You overcall it and nothing happens and everyone's pissed at you. You undercall it and people die. You get it right and no one thanks you. I'm guessing the pay sucks to.
    I want to say more but don't want to give anything away. I'll just say he deserves to have everyone pissed at him.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I want to say more but don't want to give anything away. I'll just say he deserves to have everyone pissed at him.
    I think this is worthy of further discussion, but I'll respect your preference to not say more.

I think so too, but it would give away an important part of the movie for anyone that hasn't seen it and isn't familiar with the story.