Shift toe pieces fail again and again

Just got back from a tour and my shift toe piece failed - again: when in touring mode, the lever fails to "lock up", it will flip down and I'll release while on some gnarly side hill.

This happened to me last season and I warrantied the bindings (salomon warranty service is terrible). These new bindings failed with the exact same problem after just a dozen tours.

Am I the asshole here? Doing something wrong? Yes I am locking the lever up two clicks, it just pops back down like it doesn't have any friction.

I read somewhere that you can "lock up" your bindings overnight to make it better but that sounds like nonsense.

Anybody ever solve this? Or figure out why it keeps happening? I think I'm done with shifts, only reliable in how defective they are.

Salomon figured it out; all 2022 Shift bindings will ship with a new clear plastic DIN window with "bumps" on the sides to create more friction where they contact the lever. Not sure what the procedure will be to warranty older toes or get a replacement window.

The shop I bought my Shifts from got me a pair of the new windows. Very easy to replace. This is a pic I got from the Shift thread (I forgot who posted it) I used the pic to show the shop what I was looking for. It took them a few days to get the new windows.

.Name:  68003FAA-A457-427F-B89B-758BFD827CBA.jpeg
Views: 4791
Size:  41.6 KB

We covered this somewhere in the Shift thread—the part number for the new din windows is in that thread. FWIW I'm also done with shifts I think, albeit for weight related reasons. Go through your shop or a dealer; dont bother with solly direct. I asked them to send me just windows and they said I had to send in the entire toe to get warrantied. My toes have otherwise been perfect, no issues with the height adjustment, so I'm unwilling to swap toes. GL

Remember when everyone on this board was gargling Cody's balls because of the hype he spewed about this binding? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Get the parts from your supplying retailer. It's a 10 second fix.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shift toe din windows.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	371928

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Remember when everyone on this board was gargling Cody's balls because of the hype he spewed about this binding? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    They're awesome when they work correctly. First generation, it seems, no matter what, there will always be kinks. Hopefully they're working on a Shift 2.0 - the brakes deploying while skinning makes them basically useless for me. Yeah, I can use a rubber band to hold them up, but why would I do that when I can just use my Tectons?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

LMAO..... y’all tossed so much shade my way when I questioned the almighty Shift.

Now y’all griping bout a windowz

Im waiting for windows 11

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

im with ya
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    They're awesome when they work correctly. First generation, it seems, no matter what, there will always be kinks. Hopefully they're working on a Shift 2.0 - the brakes deploying while skinning makes them basically useless for me. Yeah, I can use a rubber band to hold them up, but why would I do that when I can just use my Tectons?

Linux is the solution
    . . .

OK so pulling the windows off... Is that just done with a flathead screwdriver? Are there pins/tabs to look out for? I think I might just epoxy some nubs on as a contingency to keep me skiing

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    OK so pulling the windows off... Is that just done with a flathead screwdriver? Are there pins/tabs to look out for? I think I might just epoxy some nubs on as a contingency to keep me skiing
    There's a retaining lip which runs the length of the window on either side. Use a fine blade and insert under the din window on one side (not at either end) and gently lever/pry up. The new part is just a press fit to install.

haha love it. GL and keep us updated how many tours the epoxy stays on for

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    haha love it. GL and keep us updated how many tours the epoxy stays on for
    I've never handled Shifts, so this is not a criticism, but rather an honest question ... I gather these nubs work like a cam lock to keep the toe piece in locked (touring) mode.

It may be too early to tell, but is anyone noticing wear, and are you inspecting it periodically? Do you see a reason to keep a spare set on hand?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-20-2021 at 09:21 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

The original design does not include nubs, the lever friction is held in place by something on the underside of the toe lever. You can't inspect it for wear, as it's hidden in the housing.

The nubs are a half-assed jury-rigged solution hurriedly rushed out by the salomon design team after their realized their crappy design is catastrophically defective.

Will update on the epoxy nubs shortly

It is only a speculation but I suppose they tested thoroughly only with Amer boots (Atomic/Salomon). It seems that the boot/binding interface is sensitive to minor size variances which are allowed by the standard. It would be interesting to test a failing toe with an Amer boot.

Fritschy Vipec/Tecton toe is also sensitive to pin interface width, but has a clever adjustment system.

Salomon, your designs are bad and you should feel bad.

You owe me an apology and probably a new doorstop

Name:	PXL_20210420_051851373.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	995.1 KB 
ID:	372378

nubs cast and shaped

Name:	PXL_20210422_033006653.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	372379

they do work, but really?

Name:	PXL_20210422_033918948.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	372380

Just to bring this all full circle and give credit where it's due:

- the epoxy nubs DO work - couple dozen miles and couple many thousand feet and transitions and the levers hold.

- Salomon warranty department DID just send me 2x replacement toe pieces and replacement windows. This is a change from last season when I had this defect, where they would not provide warranty service unless I unmounted the entire binding from both skis and send them away for warranty review ( = not skiing for indefinite period of time??) . I suppose their customer support and warranty team is learning and improving.

- the epoxy nubs DO work - couple dozen miles and couple many thousand feet and transitions and the levers hold.

- Salomon warranty department DID just send me 2x replacement toe pieces and replacement windows. This is a change from last season when I had this defect, where they would not provide warranty service unless I unmounted the entire binding from both skis and send them away for warranty review ( = not skiing for indefinite period of time??) . I suppose their customer support and warranty team is learning and improving.
    color me impressed and surprised. I figured the epoxy nubs would pop off. what exactly is going on in the door stop pic? lol.

im surprised/elated because they sent you a new pair! i couldnt convince them to do so without me sending the binding in either.

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    It is only a speculation but I suppose they tested thoroughly only with Amer boots (Atomic/Salomon). It seems that the boot/binding interface is sensitive to minor size variances which are allowed by the standard. It would be interesting to test a failing toe with an Amer boot.

Fritschy Vipec/Tecton toe is also sensitive to pin interface width, but has a clever adjustment system.
    I have this exact same issue with an Atomic boot. It only happens on one binding, and it doesn't matter which boot (left or right) I use. Yesterday was the binding's 5th day out and I've only been doing casual touring and skiing. I'm contacting Solomon, hopefully they recognize this is an existing issue.

Here's a video if anyone's curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPNbhVX5C0

gee, I wonder if it had anything to do with some all ecompassing life altering world event ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Salomon, your designs are bad and you should feel bad.

You owe me an apology and probably a new doorstop

Name:	PXL_20210420_051851373.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	995.1 KB 
ID:	372378

nubs cast and shaped

Name:	PXL_20210422_033006653.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	372379

they do work, but really?

Name:	PXL_20210422_033918948.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	372380
    So I can't quite figure out your process from your pics, especially the first one. Did you kinda splotch on epoxy onto the window and then dremel it into the desired shape and size once it had set? More explanation would be appreciated.