Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    NZ club fields rely on surface lifts for some gnarly terrain although your point of how to access it is well taken.

Big Sky wants to be so fucking European, how about this?

Or this:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=316727928987444

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I had an Epic pass in 2002. I have had many. I had a very specific one this year in the northeast. Why? Because they're cheap, and I'm cheap, so, we get along. But I still think Vail sucks and they are the destroyer of good ski hills. When after, oh, 2008 have I been a cheerleader? Fucking fantasy in your head.

For someone who just posted, la la la, I got a wonderful amount of powder skiing this winter, and, nah nah nana, you didn't, (are you 12?), why are you so angry? What's your problem?
    Epic Pass first showed up in 2008. You are so ahead of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    In 2002 they issued the Epic Black Card.
    Only to the best skiers on the mountain.
    Bunny received a tap on the shoulder and a secret handshake.
    . . .

Whatever they called it in Colorado in 2002, I had it, oh joyful one, and I'm pretty sure it was called Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Seconded.

I too would like to extend a laurel and hearty welcome to Paulster. His Canahdah stoke is rich and we request the presence of Jimbo and the gang as well.
    Next years gathering will need a NE CA contingent...
    ironically despite my religious disdain for the terror boxes, JHMR tram is on the 'ol bucket list. How could it not be? Since Aspen's mtn chalet has now been sold, looks like I need another USA base of ski operations.

Be careful what you wish for though; Jimbo would regail you with stories of that time he skied jackson back in the 70's on some epic road trip. Then the next day, you'd hear them again!

T-Bar? Nope.

A Poma surface lift? Aka J-Bar/platter tow FTW!
    Can it be like the Basin with platters that occasionally fail while you're riding up? Oh, and that then offer the opportunity to try to hang on to the rope if you get that carrier the next time around?

The old Bunny Buster poma at Killington is another kind of special, but they don't make them like that anymore.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Is it possible to also put one up the headwaters ridge line? Not sure how narrow that ridge line is. Maybe import a bunch of Sierra snow to paste onto the top first. While not a fan of building a lift to a previous Ike to zone, you can reach this coming down from the tram and I’d imagine the terrain itself would keep the hordes away. Maybe not.
    Nah, HW ridge is too rocky and narrow and exposed for a lift. Maybe you could run something up the first couple uphills, but it wouldn't really be worth it IMO. And people would freak out at the prospect of a lift there. And I sincerely doubt patrol and/or management wants to in any way encourage gapers to access that terrain, it happens too much already.

T-Bar? Nope.

A Poma surface lift? Aka J-Bar/platter tow FTW!
    I'd pay extra for per diem Poma access on the BB Ridge. Hippies have no use for money however.

God I wish alpental would do this with chair 2

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Nah, HW ridge is too rocky and narrow and exposed for a lift. Maybe you could run something up the first couple uphills, but it wouldn't really be worth it IMO. And people would freak out at the prospect of a lift there. And I sincerely doubt patrol and/or management wants to in any way encourage gapers to access that terrain, it happens too much already.
    Yeah - my experiences with HW are that the approach is a dicey nightmare. The only thing, I think, that has come close is the traverse into the Banana and Funnel at Crusty Butt. Holy shit can that be a dicey ride.

NZ club fields rely on surface lifts for some gnarly terrain although your point of how to access it is well taken.

Big Sky wants to be so fucking European, how about this?

When I lived in Christchurch I was introduced to the nutcracker!

And crazy access roads.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

The poma up Rendezvous Bowl was fun. Only one I've ridden that had a switchback. Or was it a T bar, it was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Little known fact, before the Tram in order to claim 3000+ vertical feet there was a rope tow from the top of Challenger to where the hike begins to flatten out. It rarely ran.

I cut it loose with an Oxy/acetylene torch and we flew it off with a Heli the 2nd year of the Tram.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Ha, that is awesome Bunion. Got any pics?

bring back the idea of a second tram to the top from moonlight!

Nope, unfortunately.

In other news, my e-mail to Big Sky looking for clarification.

Wed, Apr 28, 5:46 PM (23 hours ago)

to mountainservices

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...y-pass-holders

You guys might want to read this, then again, maybe not. There is some hyperbole and a few swear words but there is also a window into what some of your skiers are saying in response to the new tram policy.

I give Troy a lot of credit for thinking about how Big Sky can deal with a real problem, Tram Access. I don't know if this is the best way to go about it, time will tell.

Quick question, if I buy a Tram Pack for 5 days at $225.00 or $ 45.00 + taxes per day, I am up at the top of the bowl, the tram line is small, there is no demand that day.

How I interpret your pricing structure is that it is possible that Tram days cost may have been determined to be $ 20.00 or $ 25.00 less than what I paid for a day with a Tram Pack.

If I have allowed my credit card to be linked to my Skypass I should be able to debit from my CC at $ 20.00 rather than burning a Tram Pack day that costs $ 45.00 + taxes. I would like flexibility with how I can purchase a Tram day. That should not be too difficult.

Also, I am on the fence on which pass to buy for 2022. How big is the price increase if I don't purchase before 4/30?

Thank you.
    And the reply:

Big Sky Mountain Services

1:31 PM (4 hours ago)

to me

Hello,

Thank you for the link. It’s always nice to see what guests are saying about us and how we could possibly change things in the future. As we do change things, it doesn’t necessarily fit into everyone’s needs. We are trying to lessen the Tram line and we believe this will help immensely. The Tram lines got to over 2 hours on some days this past season and that is not something we want for the future.

Being scanned at the Tram and being charged for that day individually will come into a few factors. It depends on the conditions and the amount of tickets sold for that day and possibly the day of the week. It can be anywhere from $20 to $80 per day if you don’t purchase a Tram Pack. Now I see the gamble you would take if the price is $20 that day and you paid $45/day with a 5 Tram Pack. I’m assuming our systems would use the Tram Pack first and then charge your card after those are all used up. Tram Packs are also limited so it’s even unknown if you will be able to purchase them after the season is started so you could buy some $20 days and use a Tram Pack for those big dumps into the season.

Passes will not be on sale after the 30th but will come back in June when those Tram Packs will be available. Buying now to save the most money! You can upgrade to anything but the Gold pretty much at any time.

Miss Chelsea

Big Sky Mountain Services
    Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    bring back the idea of a second tram to the top from moonlight!
    Hmmm, I was at MLB from start to finish and we never had that idea. There was some talk of a lift to access the N. Summit, never serious.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Miss Chelsea seems nice.
    . . .

I only saw patrol allowed on that tow. We all had to hike

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Boyne seems to be trying to run a not fun roulette wheel. Like I proposed earlier, let's have a real roulette wheel at the gate. More fun.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I only saw patrol allowed on that tow. We all had to hike

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If you were around back then you might remember Eddie G. He was there when I started 91/92), short little leprechaun kinda guy from upstate NY, Glens Falls. Funny as hell.

Anyway, when we were bored working the top of Challenger and Country Club was skiable we would go out and curse and swear at that fucker until we could get it to start (Ford V-8 motor left out in the cold at 9400').

When we got it running we would open it just to watch what we called the "Jibbers" try and ride it, it was a difficult ride on skis and it was hilarious to watch boarders grab hold to the rope and try and negotiate the places where the rope was 15' off the snow and the other spots where the rope was dragging over/through snow drifts.

Then there was the rope tow that ran up the edge of 1st gully and Crons to access the Alto ridge and had a 40 degree bend midway. That was patrol only and probably one of the most dangerous things I ever regularly did while working.

from upstate NY, Glens Falls.
    are we sure glens falls is upstate?
    swing your fucking sword.

I feel like there should be something like the hot/crazy matrix but it involves black bear/hill condos/tram phone# availability/beehive hot tub poachability/hummers soup and sandwich plus crown/parking at the golf course to hit Fan.

Never mind I'm drunk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Little known fact, before the Tram in order to claim 3000+ vertical feet there was a rope tow from the top of Challenger to where the hike begins to flatten out. It rarely ran.

I cut it loose with an Oxy/acetylene torch and we flew it off with a Heli the 2nd year of the Tram.
    so when was the last time you were around Squamish?

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    I feel like there should be something like the hot/crazy matrix but it involves black bear/hill condos/tram phone# availability/beehive hot tub poachability/hummers soup and sandwich plus crown/parking at the golf course to hit Fan.

Never mind I'm drunk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Sheer poetry.

Wow. Anything left of it? Concrete footings maybe?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms