Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I would probably never ride this thing, because fuck trams. The only thing that frightens me more than swinging around in a death cabin high above scraggly terrain with a bunch of other sweaty assholes is standing in a lineup for a half hour or more, waiting for my chance to play Final Destination in man's hubris.
    You'd really freak on the Aiguille du Midi tram.

Big Sky nixes tram access to Ikon/MC/day pass holders

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You suck at this.
    Posting on a forum? Okay. Let’s assume you beat me at that.

How was the skiing for you this winter? We scored time and time again. No lines and endless fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I said revenue on a per person basis. Ski resorts are all about maximizing yield per skier, as in how much can they milk from each person.

No more discounts on day tickets. Reservations only. Parking passes. Ski school - only privates. Season passes went up across the board pricing wise. The list is long.

They are set the bar last season and now know it works. Demand was still sky high. We aren't going back to them catering to the season pass brown bag crowd next year when they can fill chairs again.
    If correct, why did epic lower their price by 20%. Seems like a move to get more volume and less per each.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Posting on a forum? Okay. Let’s assume you beat me at that.

How was the skiing for you this winter? We scored time and time again. No lines and endless fun.

Well gol-leee. That's keen.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Ride the tram four times a day, a week, a season a life time? You crack me up with some of the audacious conjecture you write. A pity you never had a chance tow be a speech writer for a POTUS.
    Be careful dude. Benny is like really really good at posting in the forum. Sucks at life. But really the best when it comes to posting.

If correct, why did epic lower their price by 20%. Seems like a move to get more volume and less per each.
    Because they suck. They are trying to monopolize the entire business. So, they take losses now, kill the competition, and they think they'll be on top when the dust settles. It's a fucking disease running rampant in zero interest American capitalism. Uber is still losing billions providing really cheap cab rides. Same shit. But there's no downside for the CEO and executives of Vail, or any other company that plays like this. Les Otten walked away from the carnage of the ASC bankruptcy a wealthy man,and he was a mountain manager at Sunday River when it all started. Adam Neumann is now a fucking billionaire after he drove WeWork into bankruptcy. A billionaire! What's he, like 35 or something? So, wtf, heads they win, tails they win. Fuck, why not screw it up and walk away in early mid life. Who wants the day to day drudgery of actually running a ski hill business. So, just wave your dick and watch it burn.

Be careful dude. Benny is like really really good at posting in the forum. Sucks at life. But really the best when it comes to posting.
    How many times have you been on that tram?

How many times have you been in it?
    How many times have you been on the aiguille du midi?

You'd really freak on the Aiguille du Midi tram.

How many times have you been on that tram?

. . .

Once, in 1974, so the old one, but, same stations. It was early August, but still a few skiers on it.
    Intense ride.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I would probably never ride this thing, because fuck trams. The only thing that frightens me more than swinging around in a death cabin high above scraggly terrain with a bunch of other sweaty assholes is standing in a lineup for a half hour or more, waiting for my chance to play Final Destination in man's hubris.

Its the precedent that is being set that has most all riled up. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth, knowwhatimsayin?
    We need more people like you at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort- I like the cut of your jib sir!!
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

Because they suck. They are trying to monopolize the entire business. So, they take losses now, kill the competition, and they think they'll be on top when the dust settles. It's a fucking disease running rampant in zero interest American capitalism. Uber is still losing billions providing really cheap cab rides. Same shit. But there's no downside for the CEO and executives of Vail, or any other company that plays like this. Les Otten walked away from the carnage of the ASC bankruptcy a wealthy man,and he was a mountain manager at Sunday River when it all started. Adam Neumann is now a fucking billionaire after he drove WeWork into bankruptcy. A billionaire! What's he, like 35 or something? So, wtf, heads they win, tails they win. Fuck, why not screw it up and walk away in early mid life. Who wants the day to day drudgery of actually running a ski hill business. So, just wave your dick and watch it burn.
    Wow, its a blue moon evidently. I actually agree with something you posted.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    We need more people like you at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort- I like the cut of your jib sir!!
    Seconded.

I too would like to extend a laurel and hearty welcome to Paulster. His Canahdah stoke is rich and we request the presence of Jimbo and the gang as well.
    Next years gathering will need a NE CA contingent...

Glad you finally figured that out. Too bad you called me a dumb ass when I explained that too you years ago when you were all about how cool the epic pass was. You are that tool. Own it.

Now you're just making shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Looked at a map. The one from Dakota up liberty bowl.
    They could build a t bar up that, that would be rad
    I had a good chuckle at this. A T-Bar up Liberty would be sweet and sensical approach. But trying to imagine Boyne doing that after all the pomp & circumstance surrounding heated high-speed bubble chairs makes it seem like a fantasy.

They wouldn’t dare ask their “valued guests” to engage in such a peasantry form of transport that us low-lifes are familiar with.

“A lift on the surface?!?“

^^^^ The surface lift would be for the pedestrian folk. Their valued quest will have tram access. They may need to put up a billboard so the tram guest need not avert their eyes to the hungry masses being towed up the backside in last years outwear,

So Benny, are you claiming you did not buy an Epic passes and bloviate about how awesome they were a number of years ago on this forum. It was just before you became a Colorado local. It was around 2012, around when Fail bought KW and I was complaining about how that company would ruin my home resort (which they did) and you could not shut up about how great the Epic pass was for skiers. Fuck you memory is selective. It is just funny now how ski industry woke you are.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    I had a good chuckle at this. A T-Bar up Liberty would be sweet and sensical approach. But trying to imagine Boyne doing that after all the pomp & circumstance surrounding heated high-speed bubble chairs makes it seem like a fantasy.

They wouldn’t dare ask their “valued guests” to engage in such a peasantry form of transport that us low-lifes are familiar with.

“A lift on the surface?!?“
    Rope tow even better.
    "Daddy what's that for?"
    "I don't know dear."
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Rope tow even better.
    "Daddy what's that for?"
    "To sell more gloves honey."
    FIFY
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^^^^ The surface lift would be for the pedestrian folk. Their valued quest will have tram access. They may need to put up a billboard so the tram guest need not avert their eyes to the hungry masses being towed up the backside in last years outwear,

So Benny, are you claiming you did not buy an Epic passes and bloviate about how awesome they were a number of years ago on this forum. It was just before you became a Colorado local. It was around 2012, around when Fail bought KW and I was complaining about how that company would ruin my home resort (which they did) and you could not shut up about how great the Epic pass was for skiers. Fuck you memory is selective. It is just funny now how ski industry woke you are.
    I had an Epic pass in 2002. I have had many. I had a very specific one this year in the northeast. Why? Because they're cheap, and I'm cheap, so, we get along. But I still think Vail sucks and they are the destroyer of good ski hills. When after, oh, 2008 have I been a cheerleader? Fucking fantasy in your head.

For someone who just posted, la la la, I got a wonderful amount of powder skiing this winter, and, nah nah nana, you didn't, (are you 12?), why are you so angry? What's your problem?

Boyne does have T-bars installed in at least two locations (Sugarloaf and Sunday River); the Sunday River one is a very recent install, and while it is special-purpose (serving the race and cross venues), that doesn't seem much less targeted than one up to Lone Peak.

With that said, were they to go that route, I'd have to expect that watching people attempt to load and ride one there could be quite entertaining. The SR one is only open to the public on wind-hold days, and it gets...interesting.

T-Bar? Nope.

A Poma surface lift? Aka J-Bar/platter tow FTW!

T-bar going up Liberty would be a never ending shitshow. Especially toward the top where it gets steeper and windier. I think the wind factor is what has prevented them from putting a chairlift over there. Frankly a lift going up Liberty would be kind of a pain to access. If you ski down anything except Liberty you can't get back to it without riding Dakota chair, which itself is often closed on windhold (and this year was down for months, that's a separate issue though).

I had an Epic pass in 2002. I have had many. I had a very specific one this year in the northeast. Why? Because they're cheap, and I'm cheap, so, we get along. But I still think Vail sucks and they are the destroyer of good ski hills. When after, oh, 2008 have I been a cheerleader? Fucking fantasy in your head.

For someone who just posted, la la la, I got a wonderful amount of powder skiing this winter, and, nah nah nana, you didn't, (are you 12?), why are you so angry? What's your problem?

Benny asking "why are you so angry" is so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    T-bar going up Liberty would be a never ending shitshow. Especially toward the top where it gets steeper and windier. I think the wind factor is what has prevented them from putting a chairlift over there. Frankly a lift going up Liberty would be kind of a pain to access. If you ski down anything except Liberty you can't get back to it without riding Dakota chair, which itself is often closed on windhold (and this year was down for months, that's a separate issue though).
    NZ club fields rely on surface lifts for some gnarly terrain although your point of how to access it is well taken.

Big Sky wants to be so fucking European, how about this?

Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    Benny asking "why are you so angry" is so funny.
    ^^this.

And his reading comprehension is worse than a 3rd grader. Hard to see through the tears. We skied only two powder days this year but never mentioned powder. Just that we scored and had fun.

Surface lift for the win.

Is it possible to also put one up the headwaters ridge line? Not sure how narrow that ridge line is. Maybe import a bunch of Sierra snow to paste onto the top first. While not a fan of building a lift to a previous Ike to zone, you can reach this coming down from the tram and I’d imagine the terrain itself would keep the hordes away. Maybe not.

Vista tow at KW being an example. Few used to ski off Vista and it would hold Pow for days and the south side was great smooth corn. Now both sides get moguls. Vail rarely runs the lift but now that folks see a lift going there, they hike it. Progress.