Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

truck service ques for non-wrenching owner...

2011 chevy 2500hd crew long bed
    109kmi
    i don't tow; while I've pulled stumps & carried lumber/firewood, pallets of stone or bedfuls of gravel, this truck has a soft life comparatively.
    it bounces down trails to rivers; but the hardest it works is in winter getting us thru conditions to/from the hill or long distance drives. no commuting.

The following services were ID'ed for 100k service. It adds up to about $1,450 as estimated by shop.
    Transmission service
    Coolant flush
    Fuel injection service
    Induction service (not even sure what this is)
    Brake flush
    Front differential service
    Transfer case service
    Rear differential service
    Power steering flush
    Spark plugs
    Plug wires

I do plan on having all this suggested work done because I want the truck to run well, but can I break it up financially?
    Do any of these naturally group together?
    Or, shhould I suck it up & have all services done at once?

[i've youtubed some of these, but i do not own any vehicle tools, and ultimately i'm not particularly interested in doing it myself; i've got plenty of things to keep me busy & I just want the truck to run well over time]

thx for any help/abuse/commentary

Lots of "Service" called for. Are those hard prices or upon serving is there the potential for further work and increased costs? I am not a huge believer in the Brake and Power Steering flushes at 100K.

Probably cheaper to bite the bullet and have everything that is related done at once. If you are mechanical curious, Plugs and Wires is pretty easy.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Lots of "Service" called for. Are those hard prices or upon serving is there the potential for further work and increased costs? I am not a huge believer in the Brake and Power Steering flushes at 100K.

Probably cheaper to bite the bullet and have everything that is related done at once. If you are mechanical curious, Plugs and Wires is pretty easy.
    why not a believer in flush?
    too light duty use in my case? or just not critical in general?

i actually do own the spark plug socket having dealt with a power washer that burned up a spark plug once

I would do all the drivetrain fluid services, the brake fluid service, and new plugs / wires and call it a day.

Fuel injection service means they will put some cleaner you get for 5 bucks at the store in the gas tank, and induction service probably means air filter. If its seen a lot of FS road and winter use it probably could use a new air filter.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I would do all the drivetrain fluid services, the brake fluid service, and new plugs / wires and call it a day.

Fuel injection service means they will put some cleaner you get for 5 bucks at the store in the gas tank, and induction service probably means air filter. If its seen a lot of FS road and winter use it probably could use a new air filter.
    after the fires last Sept, I've been meaning to replace the air filter

transmission + transfer case + both diffs + fuel induction + fuel injection = just under half the estimate = +/- $675

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post

i actually do own the spark plug socket having dealt with a power washer that burned up a spark plug once
    Not a believer in the Brake or PS flushes at 100K/ 10 years, those could push another 50K, the rest are needed.

Depending on how much room you have getting to the plugs can be pretty easy or a nightmare. My last PU had 1 plug that was a bitch, like take off the hood to get better access kind of bitch. Mark your wires and take some reference photos or draw out which wires go to which plugs, you will be glad you did.

I would ask what they mean by the Injection service. Air Filters are pretty easy DIY.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post

its not like engine oil where the combustion process contaminates the oil with every plug fire, the power steering pump just sits there circulating PS fluid in a relativley protected environment, a lot of PS pump never get flushed and never fail cuz its not something that fails

Brakes are more exposed to the elements and i might get that changed
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

helpful comments, all
    thx!

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and should absolutely be flushed w/ every brake job
    Power steering fluid is also hygroscopic.
    They also pickup debris in the system which can act like an abrasive.
    I would go with severe duty recs

I changed the plugs on this 62 tucker with a cresent wrench out on the bunny hill, i think the problem was actualy a rotten gas tank, my buddy owns this tucker which he takes up on the ski hill end of season to do some cat skiing but it always ends up cat fixing no skiing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flathead.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	983.4 KB 
ID:	371736

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

This.

Except I might skip the brake fluid. The idea behind that one is that over time water and dirt get past the seals in the caliper pistons, but doing it when you need new pads would be more cost effective - although, that might be now.

If the power steering isn't leaking, I'd skip that too.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Brake fluid is hyg, roscopic and should absolutely be flushed w/ every brake job
    yeah I forgot about the hydroscopic thing, they do absorb moisture

I'd find out what the induction service is (probably just air filter) and fuel injector service (probably just snake oil) and the rest are pretty standard preventative maintenance. If you're thinking of getting rid of the rig you can skip pretty much all of it, but if you're keeping the rig for the long run its in your best interest to do it.

Diffs, T-case etc are typically pretty easy to DIY, but are kind of nasty, and you won't enjoy it if you don't want to do it in the first place.

I used to do all kinds of shit on used vehicals but now i buy new and just get it done

except for the tucker

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Brake fluid is hygroscopic and should absolutely be flushed w/ every brake job
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    This.

Except I might skip the brake fluid. The idea behind that one is that over time water and dirt get past the seals in the caliper pistons, but doing it when you need new pads would be more cost effective - although, that might be now.

If the power steering isn't leaking, I'd skip that too.
    vehicle doesn't leak [knock on wood]

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    if you're keeping the rig for the long run its in your best interest to do it
    def keeping it & thinking i'll keep it even if i decide to get another vehicle cuz trucks seem to always be useful

You should refer to your owners manual and see what constitutes severe duty driving. I know where I live for my pickup I'm severe duty driving for most of the year whether I'm on the freeway or not. The ambient temperature range for 'normal' driving can be quite small

Yeah change tranny and diff fluids.
    Flushing is a fancy name for charging more money.

Brake fluid should have been changed at the last brake job. Or the next.

Injector cleaning is more interesting. My mechanic swears by the bg system. But that’s only when you have fuel issues. Drop a can of injector cleaner in the tank and move on.

Coolant drain and refill if it’s never been done. But flushing is just flushing money down the toilet.

That’s a spendy list. Not liking your mechanic from here.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    That’s a spendy list. Not liking your mechanic from here.
    Dollars to donuts it's the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Dollars to donuts it's the dealership.
    it is

dealership ( btw you were sposed to say stealership) has a certian level of shit that they must uphold, if one does not wish to pay then find a good freelance facility

i needed a new ac core and the Ford dealer quoted 1047$ so i asked the Lance at whatelse Freelance for a quote and it was < 700

I'm not going to bitch and moan that Ford wants to charge more cuz they have to do all the dealership stuff, use real ford parts yada fucking yada,

Ford recently gave junior a gratus engine block for his eco-boost, something lance couldn't do

Fuck. OP, once you’re out of warranty you do NOT go to a stealership.

Find a decent independent mechanic. It’s not easy but ask around and you’ll find one. And save a ton of dough.
    . . .

The pricing isn't bad and none of the things recommended are unreasonable.

At 100k and 10 years it's time to flush all the fluids, especially if they haven't been done before. Do the cooling system too - a flush is minimal and worthwhile. If your radiator has plastic end tanks, replace that too. If the water pump uses a plastic impeller swap that if it's not absurdly labor intensive to do. New belts and tensioners would be a good bet as well if they are old.

"Service", at the dealership means top-up and maybe an audio inspection while they charge you for complete flushes and whatever the fuck adjustments these ancient engines need,

Clean your maf after the gnarly fires you guys had last year

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I'd do transmission fluid, all 3 diffs, plugs and wires, and then call it a day.

Do they put lifetime coolant in those rigs?