Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2-Pair Setup for Targhee?

I'm retiring later this year and I'm going to spend a month or so in Driggs next winter (mid-Feb to mid-March); buying a pass at Targhee soon. Also going to spend a few days with Kokomas at Jackson either on the front end or back end. Will also take my time heading back east to take advantage of Targhee's partner resorts in Colorado

If I have to go with what I have, I'll be bringing Fischer Ranger 108s and Elan Ripstick 96s. Wondering what the collective thinks about an ideal 2-pair setup for a month of (hopefully) powder. I'm getting a bonus next week and it will cover the VRBO and a couple of pairs of skis if I can find deals.

Very athletic (6'0", 185) 61 years old, going to ski day 48 for this season today. Most of my skis are on the short side because we ski a lot of tight trees here on the EC (182 Rangers, 180 Ripsticks). I ski faster than the average skier but not fast by TGR standards. No cliff hucking. Do a fair amount of true BC here in the east.

What say you?

188 Rustler 11 + something narrower.
    Check the Blizzard thread

What sf said. I happen to like the Mantra 102 but there's a ton of great skis around 100mm.
    edit: there's a 184 M102 in GS right now

Mantra 102 is also available online for $399, including shipping, with no taxes. If you want to buy them from someone who will actually ship you skis.

MX98 and Rustler 11
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I’m going to thin my quiver for next season... 184 Mantra 102, 185 Enforcer 110, 191 Movement Goliath, 192 Movement SuperTurbo could all be great for you. PM me and let’s talk.

Congrats on retirement and getting off the ice coast for a spell next winter!

Check out the Targheezer club, if you're a geezer, which you may be if retiring. I want one of their stickers.

If I was doing what you're doing, which I was thinking of doing two seasons ago, I'd go with my 184 Mantra 102s and 191 Lhasa Pows. Done.

Oh, and a small ski carry pack for your Mary's Nipple hikes.

Benchetler 120/100

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    If I was doing what you're doing, which I was thinking of doing two seasons ago, I'd go with my 184 Mantra 102s and 191 Lhasa Pows. Done.
    +1 for lhassa pows. such a versatile ski.
    swing your fucking sword.

Dynastar M-Pro 99 for the lower tide days and groomers. M-Free 108 or 118 for the deep days.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Check out the Targheezer club, if you're a geezer, which you may be if retiring. I want one of their stickers.

Oh, and a small ski carry pack for your Mary's Nipple hikes.
    If I get you one of those stickers, you're going to have to come to Magic to pick it up.

M102 sounds good and sounds like Singlecross wants to gift me a pair

Not seeing a lot of Rustler 11s around these parts but I'll keep looking.

2-Pair Setup for Targhee?

If you’re interested in bringing some mega-fats with you for bottomless days, you’re more than welcome to borrow my OG (185-ish, no swallowtail) Moment Comis. They have demo clamps on them. Left them in VT when I moved, so you’d be able to snag them whenever, or I could hand them off when I’m back for Xmas.

Edit to add:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-powder-review
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    M102 sounds good and sounds like Singlecross wants to gift me a pair
    I'll gift you free shipping if you come pick them up Acadia this Summer or Saddleback next Winter. Heck, I'll bring a bunch of skis to Saddleback and you can have your own personal demo day!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    If I get you one of those stickers, you're going to have to come to Magic to pick it up.
    Deal. But, two.

I’d roll w those Ripstick and then get a nice fat rockered pow ski. Billy goat, renegade or something maybe a little easier to handle if you don’t like lugging around heavy skis all day.

Remember that A good bit of pow chasing involves shuffling, booting and skinning. It’s nice to not be lugging huge tanks around on big days.

Go with what you’ve got

Is there something about those skis you’re looking to change? That’s a nice setup and about what I’d want to bring. I’d spend the money on lift tickets, gas, and beer. Run down to Alta for a few days or something. Way more memorable spend than the difference between your Rangers and some other ski. I have a pair of the Ranger 94s... really like that ski!

Congratulations, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sgirard View Post
    Is there something about those skis you’re looking to change? That’s a nice setup and about what I’d want to bring. I’d spend the money on lift tickets, gas, and beer. Run down to Alta for a few days or something. Way more memorable spend than the difference between your Rangers and some other ski. I have a pair of the Ranger 94s... really like that ski!

Fair question. I bought them short to ski east coast back country. They're great at that. I have skied them in 2 separate 30" dumps where I had first tracks for several runs and I found the tips dive on them...or maybe I just suck.

Money from my bonus just hit this morning and it's burning a hole in my pocket....

congrats on your retirement and I like the way you are sending it off!
    did you mention your BSL? we have a decent quiver of Line skis at BSL ~295 in the 180-190's length ranges if that happens to coordinate and you want to borrow anything while out here
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by sgirard View Post

Big Sky is a better option to the north.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    188 Rustler 11 + something narrower.
    Check the Blizzard thread
    Seconded.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Since the bonus just hit and you have two good pairs. I’d get two more just to make sure you’ll have it covered.

Congrats on pulling the no work trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Seconded.
    Thirdeded. It's one of the few skis that I'd be happy to take to places like Targhee or Steamboat, but just as happy to take them to places with steep, open terrain. Those things are just so dialed.

I would want something with more girth at targhee for the deep days. A GPO would be a great all mountain ski for that hill.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Happy to send you off with a pair of 186cm Lhasa's. We'd (you) have to mount them up 1st. Not sure with what yet.

Maybe give my other skis some lovin' too. My Monsters are on deaths door. Mount up my back up pair of those too.

Ski work* for skis... We can make something happen this summer. let me know. Same BSL

*Not really necessary but i know you're good @ that stuff

I skied somewhere around 65 days at the Ghee this winter.

I'm 5'11'', 195 lbs.

My Targhee quiver is-
    -188 Blizzard Rustler 11s (114 underfoot) for new snow days.
    -190 Moment Deathwish (112 underfoot) for everything else.

Both skis are intuitive and approachable, but hold their own really well.

The Rustler 11s are a bit more stable at speed and do better in chopped up resort powder. They carve and pivot in 3D snow, but want to hold and edge and rail on hardpack. They have a bit more rebound energy than the Deathwishes, but are incredibly easy to ski in powder and groomers. They are a bit more work in tight places without new snow, which is why I have the Deathwishes.

The Deathwishes offer incredible edge hold on hardpack due to their triple camber, but they also have an amazing ability to pivot through tight spaces even if the snow is hard. Even though they are 112mm, they are have the best edge hold and carving abilities of any ski over 100mm that I've ever skied. The combo of edge hold when you want it and pivot when you want it is magical. I use them for playing around on soft bumps, railing groomers, skiing sidecountry pow and skiing through tight trees to get to pow stashes a couple days after a storm.

Except for very early season conditions, I have never wished for anything more narrow than the Deathwishes. There was maybe one or two days this past season where I wanted something wider than the Rustler 11s, but IMHO it's not enough of a need to justify a wider ski for your purposes.

It may sound crazy, but many of the people I ski with at the Ghee don't have anything under 110mm. We just don't have bumps or tight enough trees to necessitate it.

There is something to be said for having a wide enough ski to drop into the sidecountry whenever you want, but a ski that still can pivot through the tighter inbounds terrain that we do have. Seriously, check out the Deathwishes- I regret all the years that I skied on other skis.

Lastly, most everyone I ski with has some for of inbounds friendly touring binding on all of their Targhee skis (CAST, Shifts, Duke PTs, etc). I always keep my touring gear in my truck. Depending on who I run into on a given day, I may do a couple impromptu sidecountry laps and it is really nice to never wish for a different ski that is sitting at home.

Good luck with retirement and hit me up for some Ghee laps when you get out here next winter.