Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 104
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    10,941

    I Hate Using Credit Cards

    REALLY!!!
    It seems that there is a fraud committed on my cc (AMEX, VISA, MC) at least 2x/year. It is a PITA because every time it happens the cc co. changes the last 4 digits and I need to notify various merchants of the change. I hate that we are expected to become a cashless society.

    This time it is a huge hassle for a $19 charge that I did not make. Kudos for the AMEX fraud department for catching it.
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    4,394
    I like the CC.

    I like the two vacations a year the points allow me.

    I like that my wallet is thin.

    I actually donít mind when there is fraud and my CC number changes - itís nice to weed out the auto-renewal subscriptions you forgot about.

    If you used a debit card and their was fraud you would be working to get your money back. At least with credit you can just dispute the charge and not pay it. And it becomes someone elseís problem.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    9,312
    This was the perfect ok boomer opportunity.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    10,815
    Iíve never had a fraudulent charge on my credit cards. I guess Iím just lucky ?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    46,875
    Points.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    3,146
    Wife and I have both had fraud issues a few times, but Discover has been so easy to deal with it is a non-issue to me. Contrast that to the one time her Wells Fargo account was cleaned out and they said "you might get your money back."

    For us, anything that can go on the card does and the cash back is a nice bonus.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,746
    The local market in Victor refuses to even take cash now. They apparently told some kid buying a candy bar to pound sand the other day and some other local ended up buying it for the kid. I'm still blown away by this story.
    Live Free or Die

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    9,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Points.
    and literal cash back

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,662
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    The local market in Victor refuses to even take cash now. They apparently told some kid buying a candy bar to pound sand the other day and some other local ended up buying it for the kid. I'm still blown away by this story.
    Same with Moonshine Liquor. But they both started doing that at the start of COVID so I thought it was a mitigation plan?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    9,312
    A lot of places here stopped taking cash as well. They put a plexiglass shield up in front of the sales counter with the card reader on the customer's side.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,746
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Same with Moonshine Liquor. But they both started doing that at the start of COVID so I thought it was a mitigation plan?
    Everyone has known covid isn't getting spread by cash/touching for a long time.

    I think they are just being lazy now and don't want to deal with cash / counting / bank runs et al. Kids and their candy be damned. That is some dedication to laziness when you tell a 7 year old to fuck off.
    Live Free or Die

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    9,312
    Agree

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    between campus and church
    Posts
    7,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    A lot of places here stopped taking cash as well. They put a plexiglass shield up in front of the sales counter with the card reader on the customer's side.
    Has there been a single case of Covid spread by use of cash? Seems like something that was a good idea in March 2020 but now is just stupid. Besides, it's just as likely that the touch screen or 'pen' on the reader will spread C19 as would cash.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,662
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Everyone has known covid isn't getting spread by cash/touching for a long time.

    I think they are just being lazy now and don't want to deal with cash / counting / bank runs et al. Kids and their candy be damned. That is some dedication to laziness when you tell a 7 year old to fuck off.
    Speaking of kids, did the local teens ever figure out that they could call Moonshine, order whatever they wanted over the phone, and then pick it up on the table out back? That would've been awesome when I was in HS.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,907
    anyone got a good points card recommendation??

    i don't like playing "the game" (as in, "this month we need to shop at store X because they have 5x points), just something i can passively use to put all my purchases on

    thinking amex blue, open to other ideas. chase freedom?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,746
    You can just straight up buy booze online now. I assume any self respecting youth knows this now. My cuz is a whiskey freak and I've been buying him bottles for holidays/birthdays for a couple years now. No id, check, anything. Just left in a box at your house. What a country.\

    Can't use cash though either with that one.
    Live Free or Die

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    120
    We had card fraud a couple of times in two years. Our bank suggested avoiding pin # interactions and use tap whenever possible. The riskiest place are gas stations where it is easy for crooks to place a skimmer on the pump. If you use the same gas station and it requires a pin then you could get repeat problems.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    13,156
    Oddly, the lady that cuts my hair went to cash-only when the pandemic hit.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    REALLY!!!
    It is a PITA because every time it happens the cc co. changes the last 4 digits and I need to notify various merchants of the change..
    You have to call merchants because you either have re-occurring automatic billing or a card on file. Some conveniences you wouldn't have the option of w/ cash. Maybe stop doing that and you'll have less to complain about?
    Last edited by Carl_Mega; 04-14-2021 at 09:58 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    25,714
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    anyone got a good points card recommendation??

    i don't like playing "the game" (as in, "this month we need to shop at store X because they have 5x points), just something i can passively use to put all my purchases on

    thinking amex blue, open to other ideas. chase freedom?
    I play the game, occasionally with sign up bonuses but always with the category stuff, like Discover has.

    But as a simple "use this card for everything else", the Citi Double Cash card is good. 2% on every purchase adds up if you use your card for everything, like I do.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    9,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Has there been a single case of Covid spread by use of cash? Seems like something that was a good idea in March 2020 but now is just stupid. Besides, it's just as likely that the touch screen or 'pen' on the reader will spread C19 as would cash.
    Yeah, the majority of places I go to use ipads as their pos machines, so everyone else's dirty fingers have been on the exact same 'buttons' and signature field. If that doesn't spread covid, then cash certainly won't.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Making the Bowl Great Again
    Posts
    13,185
    Fun fact from https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm:

    Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?

    There is no federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law that says otherwise.

    Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal Reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal Reserve Banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues." This statute means that all U.S. money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    4,394
    Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    We had card fraud a couple of times in two years. Our bank suggested avoiding pin # interactions and use tap whenever possible. The riskiest place are gas stations where it is easy for crooks to place a skimmer on the pump. If you use the same gas station and it requires a pin then you could get repeat problems.
    When the tap came out there was a guy on the London Underground with a disguised tap terminal, bumping it against peoples purses and pockets, raking in 3 euro charges.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Making the Bowl Great Again
    Posts
    13,185
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I think they are just being lazy now and don't want to deal with employees skimming cash.
    FIFY. For businesses, credit card swipe fees add up to a ton of lost revenue (like 2% or more), but I guess not as much as employee theft.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    9,312
    That's probably true. And plain incompetence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •