Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I Hate Using Credit Cards

REALLY!!!
    It seems that there is a fraud committed on my cc (AMEX, VISA, MC) at least 2x/year. It is a PITA because every time it happens the cc co. changes the last 4 digits and I need to notify various merchants of the change. I hate that we are expected to become a cashless society.

This time it is a huge hassle for a $19 charge that I did not make. Kudos for the AMEX fraud department for catching it.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I like the CC.

I like the two vacations a year the points allow me.

I like that my wallet is thin.

I actually don’t mind when there is fraud and my CC number changes - it’s nice to weed out the auto-renewal subscriptions you forgot about.

If you used a debit card and their was fraud you would be working to get your money back. At least with credit you can just dispute the charge and not pay it. And it becomes someone else’s problem.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

This was the perfect ok boomer opportunity.

I’ve never had a fraudulent charge on my credit cards. I guess I’m just lucky ?

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Points.

Wife and I have both had fraud issues a few times, but Discover has been so easy to deal with it is a non-issue to me. Contrast that to the one time her Wells Fargo account was cleaned out and they said "you might get your money back."

For us, anything that can go on the card does and the cash back is a nice bonus.

The local market in Victor refuses to even take cash now. They apparently told some kid buying a candy bar to pound sand the other day and some other local ended up buying it for the kid. I'm still blown away by this story.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Points.
    and literal cash back

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    The local market in Victor refuses to even take cash now. They apparently told some kid buying a candy bar to pound sand the other day and some other local ended up buying it for the kid. I'm still blown away by this story.
    Same with Moonshine Liquor. But they both started doing that at the start of COVID so I thought it was a mitigation plan?

A lot of places here stopped taking cash as well. They put a plexiglass shield up in front of the sales counter with the card reader on the customer's side.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Same with Moonshine Liquor. But they both started doing that at the start of COVID so I thought it was a mitigation plan?
    Everyone has known covid isn't getting spread by cash/touching for a long time.

I think they are just being lazy now and don't want to deal with cash / counting / bank runs et al. Kids and their candy be damned. That is some dedication to laziness when you tell a 7 year old to fuck off.
    Live Free or Die

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    A lot of places here stopped taking cash as well. They put a plexiglass shield up in front of the sales counter with the card reader on the customer's side.
    Has there been a single case of Covid spread by use of cash? Seems like something that was a good idea in March 2020 but now is just stupid. Besides, it's just as likely that the touch screen or 'pen' on the reader will spread C19 as would cash.

Everyone has known covid isn't getting spread by cash/touching for a long time.

I think they are just being lazy now and don't want to deal with cash / counting / bank runs et al. Kids and their candy be damned. That is some dedication to laziness when you tell a 7 year old to fuck off.
    Speaking of kids, did the local teens ever figure out that they could call Moonshine, order whatever they wanted over the phone, and then pick it up on the table out back? That would've been awesome when I was in HS.

anyone got a good points card recommendation??

i don't like playing "the game" (as in, "this month we need to shop at store X because they have 5x points), just something i can passively use to put all my purchases on

thinking amex blue, open to other ideas. chase freedom?

You can just straight up buy booze online now. I assume any self respecting youth knows this now. My cuz is a whiskey freak and I've been buying him bottles for holidays/birthdays for a couple years now. No id, check, anything. Just left in a box at your house. What a country.\

Can't use cash though either with that one.
    Live Free or Die

We had card fraud a couple of times in two years. Our bank suggested avoiding pin # interactions and use tap whenever possible. The riskiest place are gas stations where it is easy for crooks to place a skimmer on the pump. If you use the same gas station and it requires a pin then you could get repeat problems.

Oddly, the lady that cuts my hair went to cash-only when the pandemic hit.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    REALLY!!!
    It is a PITA because every time it happens the cc co. changes the last 4 digits and I need to notify various merchants of the change..
    You have to call merchants because you either have re-occurring automatic billing or a card on file. Some conveniences you wouldn't have the option of w/ cash. Maybe stop doing that and you'll have less to complain about?
    Last edited by Carl_Mega; 04-14-2021 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    anyone got a good points card recommendation??

i don't like playing "the game" (as in, "this month we need to shop at store X because they have 5x points), just something i can passively use to put all my purchases on

thinking amex blue, open to other ideas. chase freedom?
    I play the game, occasionally with sign up bonuses but always with the category stuff, like Discover has.

But as a simple "use this card for everything else", the Citi Double Cash card is good. 2% on every purchase adds up if you use your card for everything, like I do.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Has there been a single case of Covid spread by use of cash? Seems like something that was a good idea in March 2020 but now is just stupid. Besides, it's just as likely that the touch screen or 'pen' on the reader will spread C19 as would cash.
    Yeah, the majority of places I go to use ipads as their pos machines, so everyone else's dirty fingers have been on the exact same 'buttons' and signature field. If that doesn't spread covid, then cash certainly won't.

Fun fact from https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm:

Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?

There is no federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law that says otherwise.

Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal Reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal Reserve Banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues." This statute means that all U.S. money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor.

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    We had card fraud a couple of times in two years. Our bank suggested avoiding pin # interactions and use tap whenever possible. The riskiest place are gas stations where it is easy for crooks to place a skimmer on the pump. If you use the same gas station and it requires a pin then you could get repeat problems.
    When the tap came out there was a guy on the London Underground with a disguised tap terminal, bumping it against peoples purses and pockets, raking in 3 euro charges.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I think they are just being lazy now and don't want to deal with employees skimming cash.
    FIFY. For businesses, credit card swipe fees add up to a ton of lost revenue (like 2% or more), but I guess not as much as employee theft.

That's probably true. And plain incompetence.