Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What Have You Broken On Your Bike Recently?

Casualty count from this last trip.

XTR pedal
    EXO tire
    Carbon LB rear rim (boo, but we will see soon if it still holds air)
    Downtube protector

But nothing on me, yay!
    Whatchya got that’s busted?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Brake lever is currently held to brake reservoir with some cheapo hardware store phillips screws instead of the fancy OEM allen screws. And my bottom bracket is making noises again.

Also while cleaning my chain(prior to my queso addition) I did notice I've got a couple partially broken links so I should swap chains..... but probably won't.

“Partially broken links”?
    Can you post a pic?
    This hurts my head.

I finally rebuilt the busted-ass wheel last night. Wheel has been busted-ass for a while now, I've been limping it along. While building said new wheel (my first one, actually) I noticed my cassette has a bunch of missing toofus. So, it looks like a new drivetrain might be in my near future. And maybe just for funsies a crabon wheelset, even though my wheels are less busted now.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

After this last rim bust, I think next time I will pony up for We Are One or Reserves...

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    “Partially broken links”?
    Can you post a pic?
    This hurts my head.
    I'll try to get one tomorrow. It's less bad than it sounds but something isnt quite right.

We Are One Agents(30mm or so internal) on hydras going on year 3 with ZERO attention needed. Newer more compliant models look great. Made in North America with lifetime warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Have You Broken On Your Bike Recently?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    After this last rim bust, I think next time I will pony up for We Are One or Reserves...
    We are ones!
    100% replacement if you break a rim while riding.
    50% replacement for second hand owners who break one while riding, or original owners who have a life “oops” moment like melting a rim with your car exhaust or driving into a parking garage while the bike is on the roof.

I’ve been building a bunch of these with Project 321 hubs for my local shop.
    The rims, the finishing and craftsmanship are really excellent.
    And they’re Canadian eh?

I think my rim destruction might have broke about anything. Not even sure If LB has a crash replacement program.

Last big trip I got a stick up into my derailler, which got pushed and hooked onto a spoke. Miraculously no broken spokes as there was so much litter on the trail the wheel just slid along as I slammed on the brakes. Wasn't able to straighten the D but I was able to limp out and lucky enough to find one in stock at a shop in the next town.

Trip before that I had the freewheel implode mid ride on a steep technical climb, about 15 miles from the truck. The bike was basically a fixie at that point. Hiked down to a spot where I thought I'd be able to ride. On the first steeper descent my feet couldn't keep up with the pedals and the most horrible grinding sound came from the hub. But it broke free, and I was able to gingerly pedal back to the truck. Did one more ride the following day that was basically all HAB up and then all riding down. At the end of that ride I had the wind blow shut on my finger which put an end to my riding for that trip for good. Finger nail came off a couple weeks later, if that counts : )

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Last big trip I got a stick up into my derailler, which got pushed and hooked onto a spoke. Miraculously no broken spokes as there was so much litter on the trail the wheel just slid along as I slammed on the brakes. Wasn't able to straighten the D but I was able to limp out and lucky enough to find one in stock at a shop in the next town.

Trip before that I had the freewheel implode mid ride on a steep technical climb, about 15 miles from the truck. The bike was basically a fixie at that point. Hiked down to a spot where I thought I'd be able to ride. On the first steeper descent my feet couldn't keep up with the pedals and the most horrible grinding sound came from the hub. But it broke free, and I was able to gingerly pedal back to the truck. Did one more ride the following day that was basically all HAB up and then all riding down. At the end of that ride I had the wind blow shut on my finger which put an end to my riding for that trip for good. Finger nail came off a couple weeks later, if that counts : )
    I also experienced the branch-derailleur-spoke combo last week, fortunately while riding gnarly chunk at crawling speed. It bent the shit out of the hanger and the spoke, giving my rear wheel a solid 1/2" wobble. I had to remove the tension pulley to free the derailleur, it was solidly jammed in there. After adjusting the limiter screws I managed to get OK shifting on the 4 biggest sprockets and limped home. Fixed the mess over the weekend but shifting is still meh, I think even with a straight hanger there's enough bending in the cage to affect things.

I experienced freewheel shenanigans last fall when I blew a ratchet on a DT hub. I was cruising around on a rolling trail, came out of a turn, hammered on the pedals, and folded myself over the bar when I pushed on nothing but air. Somehow I sheared off a tooth in the ratchet and the loose part floated around until it prevented engagement. Trailside fix was complicated by dropping both greased up ratchets in a bed of pine needle.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Tuning up the fleet for the season, and my 1x Reverb is DOA - stuck down and won't erect (TWSS). Tried the usual bleed, drain/refill air and every other trick I (and youtube) could come up with to no avail... may have to bring it in for an overhaul as I don't have the parts/tools to do it at home.

Anyone have a magic trick to get it going again?

Same spoke that’s popped on my wheel 5 times before. No other spoke has broken on that wheelset...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

While not actually a part of my bike...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210414_123843.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	371564
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I ripped the top plate off an SPD pedal. Never managed to do that before but it's an easily replaceable and seemingly universal part so I can't complain. I guess they designed them for idiots like me with bad pedal awareness
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Rotator cuff, Ribs, couple pairs of glasses, spokes, shifter.

OOFDAH

Chain>rear derailure>>D-hanger>>>rear wheel>>>>helmet, and in that order on a road bike. No hospital visit so there's that.

Wow, how did you do that on a road bike?
    Half-wheeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Rotator cuff, Ribs, couple pairs of glasses, spokes, shifter.
    I did the rotator cuff about a year ago at the end of July. Rode until November before I got it fixed. Wasn't gonna miss the best riding season. LMK know if you need a doctor recommendation in SLC.

Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    Anyone have a magic trick to get it going again?
    Throw it in the trash and buy something else?

this thread gives me anxiety and i don't even own a bike.
    swing your fucking sword.

Redheads that break you should give you more anxiety.

Damn, Brad! Gonna need the details, ya know....