Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Crank Brothers
    I may have found the issue.

Ok, so was with a group of between 8-12, 1st day Klondike, second Mag 7-Portal, third Kokopelli down, fourth the new Eagle eye/Falcon Crest, with a few continuing down Slickrock Practice Loop and Dave’s trail...and really no mechanicals, either bike or human, to speak of. I call that outstanding performance from modern equipment. Compared to ye Olden Days, (pre-2001?) where there would likely have been all sorts of carnage.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

What Have You Broken On Your Bike Recently?

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    How do you get a collapsed lung?
    Often times it’s from a direct blow to the chest, resulting in either a fracture(a) that then punctures the lung, or many fractures that result in a flail chest (3 or more ribs broken in at least 2 places).
    In my case, i simply went down so hard/fast it blew the air out and created a vacuum that tore the lung from the chest wall enough that it couldn’t re—inflate. One non-displaced rib fracture and a lot of bruising. I struggled for 2 days thinking it was just busted ribs and I needed to man up. Turns out I needed a chest tube.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ok, so was with a group of between 8-12, 1st day Klondike, second Mag 7-Portal, third Kokopelli down, fourth the new Eagle eye/Falcon Crest, with a few continuing down Slickrock Practice Loop and Dave’s trail...and really no mechanicals, either bike or human, to speak of. I call that outstanding performance from modern equipment. Compared to ye Olden Days, (pre-2001?) where there would likely have been all sorts of carnage.
    while I’d like to say y’all need to push it more, i have to agree. only failures I get these days are tires and gloves.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by ####### View Post
    It's an 1x11sp so it was a bit of a kick in the nuts at the bike shop but that's to be expected. Luckily they had the parts in stock, given the times, and was OTD in less than a day. Tipped them in $$ instead of beer.

Couple of days after
    Attachment 372140
    Did insurance cover a sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I may have found the issue.
    I was kinda thinking that might be the case. The first pedal was a legit 30kph to 0 hit that tossed me over the bars (steel toe skate shoes saved my toes). The second pedal hit was pretty minor.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    while I’d like to say y’all need to push it more, i have to agree. only failures I get these days are tires and gloves.
    I pushed down a few sections of Portal, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I was kinda thinking that might be the case. The first pedal was a legit 30kph to 0 hit that tossed me over the bars (steel toe skate shoes saved my toes). The second pedal hit was pretty minor.
    Mine is only a small sample and maybe from different models, but my wife and I have broken the cleat-catcher wings 7 or 8 times (twice on the same pedal more often than I would have expected--5 pedals total) without bending any axles yet. If you stay with the CB, keep your spares. You'll want them eventually.

Brake lever went snap on a nice over the bars self pile driver. Feeling it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2288.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	372700

Posting my caliper destruction story here in case jm2e wants it, and for the edification and entertainment of others.
    Here are some blurry photos of my busted Zee caliper.

This has been sitting in my parts bin since August or so. I remember having a really hard time pushing the pistons back in when I bled it, and ended up cracking the edge of one of the smaller pistons trying to push it in with a flathead screwdriver (white fleck on the piston in second photo).

Despite not getting the pistons pushed all the way in, I decided to try bleeding the brake as normal, but discovered that I couldn't get oil to flow up the line and into the funnel attached to the bleed port on the lever (but I could move the pistons by pulling the lever). Diagnosing this as a a clog somewhere in the lever, I decided that, rather than taking the lever apart or looking up what to do online, I should instead close the bleed nipple on the caliper and squeeze the lever firmly (with my makeshift bleed block of two plastic rotor spacers with a smooth metal tool handle between them lodged in the caliper) until the clog cleared itself and oil flowed up into the bleed funnel on the lever. When I heard a "crack!" and oil leaked profusely from the caliper, I was dismayed, but not really surprised.

So anyway: one of the small pistons has a definite cosmetic crack in it, but might be fine. One of the large pistons is stuck pretty far out and at a slight angle for some reason (probably because my "bleed block" sucked). No idea what the caliper internals look like. The lever probably still has a clog somewhere. This brake system had a history of the lever going spongy over the course of a few months, and there was one time I got to a trail head and the lever pulled to the bar, so I opened the bleed port and didn't see any oil, so I did this: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-aKJC6p..._web_copy_link

@jm2e, let me know if you want me to ship you the caliper!
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Caught a rock or stick in the rear wheel, initially looked for spoke damage, all is well, but shifting is slightly off now. Not sure if I bent something, hanger looks ok far as I can tell, but there is a slight curve in my derailleur that I am not sure is part of the design or not. Anyone care to post a photo of SLX 12 speed from the rear, maybe in on of the middle cogs, for comparisons sake?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

The newer Shimano 12’s actually look ‘bent’ from the rear, even when set up perfectly.
    I’ll try and find some links.

HYG
    https://www.mtbr.com/threads/are-all...-bent.1127491/

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/12-spee...-cage.1124731/

Ripped my 11 tooth cog in half. I am so badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

I pushed down a few sections of Portal, does that count?
    Have they cleaned up any of that final skid trail section? I feel like I flat right before the road half the time I ride that trail.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Often times it’s from a direct blow to the chest, resulting in either a fracture(a) that then punctures the lung, or many fractures that result in a flail chest (3 or more ribs broken in at least 2 places).
    In my case, i simply went down so hard/fast it blew the air out and created a vacuum that tore the lung from the chest wall enough that it couldn’t re—inflate. One non-displaced rib fracture and a lot of bruising. I struggled for 2 days thinking it was just busted ribs and I needed to man up. Turns out I needed a chest tube.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It's an easy fix! Once you know the problem.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

The newer Shimano 12’s actually look ‘bent’ from the rear, even when set up perfectly.
    I’ll try and find some links.

HYG
    https://www.mtbr.com/threads/are-all...-bent.1127491/

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/12-spee...-cage.1124731/
    Thanks, yeah, that's pretty much how mine is looking, even with the jockey wheel looking slightly out of alignment. I did notice just nudging it by hand that the cage is made out of cheese, but I guess I'll stop doing that and hopefully a quick adjustment in the stand gets it back where is should be.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by Telemahn View Post
    Ripped my 11 tooth cog in half. I am so badass.
    No shit! Chain caught it the wrong way or you been pumping roids? I'd imagine breaking off the cog-iterface on the giant chainring (massive torque) before busting one of the smaller ones.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    No shit! Chain caught it the wrong way or you been pumping roids? I'd imagine breaking off the cog-iterface on the giant chainring (massive torque) before busting one of the smaller ones.
    I imagine it was a combination of my 230# weight, 180mm cranks and a sun race cassette. I was pretty shocked to see the cog split and starting to peel off. I've been mountain biking since 6 speed freewheels and never had that happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

Lunchtime fun w power tools. Order of escalation PB blaster, 4mm, torx t25 (worked for 3/4 bolts), dremel + big flat head. Drill was on deck....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk