Good news for knees

I could use some for my hip. Turns out there's been a number of other trials of hyaluronic acid for arthritis, not sure what makes this one different exactly but at least it shouldn't take long to get to human trials because they've already shown it won't kill people.

Back when I was doing dumb shit literally all the time I used to joke that the advancement of medical science would save me eventually. Now I just have to hold on long enough and it might come true.

I'm in for my back. L5/S1 disc is gone, L4/L5 is pretty shot, moderate to severe arthropathy around L4/L5 and the two aren't fully aligned anymore. I would love to try something like this as a step before fusion. But I'm sick of the chronic pain I have right now and the accompanying numbness in a couple of toes.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I'm in for my back. L5/S1 disc is gone, L4/L5 is pretty shot, moderate to severe arthropathy around L4/L5 and the two aren't fully aligned anymore. I would love to try something like this as a step before fusion. But I'm sick of the chronic pain I have right now and the accompanying numbness in a couple of toes.
    I had two vertebrae in my neck fused last June and a 2nd ACL reconstruction in October. Both injuries and the corrective surgeries are mere nuisances compared to lower back issues.

I had an L 4/5 laminectomy 25 yrs ago and blew L5/s1 a couple years later. Never had the 2nd laminectomy and have needed to modify activity. It's gotten worse lately and my admittedly conservative surgeon said lower back fusions are a 50/50 proposition.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    I had two vertebrae in my neck fused last June and a 2nd ACL reconstruction in October. Both injuries and the corrective surgeries are mere nuisances compared to lower back issues.

I had an L 4/5 laminectomy 25 yrs ago and blew L5/s1 a couple years later. Never had the 2nd laminectomy and have needed to modify activity. It's gotten worse lately and my admittedly conservative surgeon said lower back fusions are a 50/50 proposition.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    A back surgeon friend of mine offered to look at my MRI, once I get it (fighting with insurance but just got cleared). He no longer works on adults (works for Shriner's Hospital, now) but said he'll offer his opinion. My GP referred me to another guy who's pretty well renowned for the area so I'll have two opinions on it. That said, my first guy said that if I'm not feeling leg pain, he'd probably advise against surgical options at this time. We'll see what they both say after they review the MRI. I would love to try this gel, though. Sounds like a viable intermediate step that could be a solid repair.

My girlfriend has had cranky knees for a while now. A couple years back she was seeing a sports doc and got a shot of this in both her knees...

https://www.synviscone.com/what-is-synvisc-one

Unfortunately didn't do anything for her. Maybe the new stuff will be more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    A back surgeon friend of mine offered to look at my MRI, once I get it (fighting with insurance but just got cleared). He no longer works on adults (works for Shriner's Hospital, now) but said he'll offer his opinion. My GP referred me to another guy who's pretty well renowned for the area so I'll have two opinions on it. That said, my first guy said that if I'm not feeling leg pain, he'd probably advise against surgical options at this time. We'll see what they both say after they review the MRI. I would love to try this gel, though. Sounds like a viable intermediate step that could be a solid repair.
    If you're pretty much to the point of pain killers and/or surgery and haven't already you might consider having a look at this...

https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-.../dp/0446392308

Reading it couldn't hurt, might help.

Regardless, I've been laid up with back pain before, hope you can find your way through it. You have my empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    My girlfriend has had cranky knees for a while now. A couple years back she was seeing a sports doc and got a shot of this in both her knees...

Unfortunately didn't do anything for her. Maybe the new stuff will be more effective.

If you're pretty much to the point of pain killers and/or surgery and haven't already you might consider having a look at this...

Regardless, I've been laid up with back pain before, hope you can find your way through it. You have my empathy.
    Thanks, I'll take a look. This has been going on for about 20 months now without any real relief. I've had x-rays and the main problems are pretty obvious and not going away. I went through six months of PT, take Aleve on really bad days but haven't had the shots or other treatment at this point. My GP hasn't wandered out of his area and is recommending the surgeon for consultative purposes. I don't think I'll be having surgery but would like the advice on where to go from here. Ultimately, something like this gel may be interesting. But I don't know what you do when alignment is off, arthritis is pressuring the nerve trunks. and one disc is just....gone. That's why I'd like his advice. On the positive side, it hasn't stopped me from doing the things I do (skiing, bc skiing, biking, golf, primarily) but it has slowed me down and I deal with pain pretty constantly. Sucks getting old. As the GP pointed out, my back's warranty has expired.

My knees are pretty good, while looking at the MRI of my knee for an ACL reconstruction the surgeon told me I have the knee of a teenager, so hopefully no arthritis later on, altho it already is later on
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post

My friend had the chicken injection a few times. The last one his knee swelled to the size of a watermelon. That wasn't good. Fast forward to now about 8 yrs later and he just had a knee replacement 3 weeks ago.

Stem Cells would appear to be the answer.

I’ve had synvisc numerous times, PRP and stem cells. I think synvisc is bunk unless it’s mixed with cortisone.

Right now my biggest issue is arthritic Spurs on the backside of my patella. Those can only be dealt with one way.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

this is like coffee at the old folks home, "Oh my back"
    "your back, my knees are worse"

"you whipper snappers wouldnt know pain, I walk on two nubs for feet"

Three old Yorkshiremen meet at McDonalds for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    this is like coffee at the old folks home, "Oh my back"
    "your back, my knees are worse"

"you whipper snappers wouldnt know pain, I walk on two nubs for feet"
    Yeah, pretty much like a chairlift ride with my buddies....

does anyone else find it ironic how folks think nothing of getting big syringes of stuff injected into their joints

but worry about the Covid Vax ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Good luck with your back aches, gents. I'm knocking on wood framewise myself. I got an education in degenerative bad backs two weeks ago when I spent a week on Zoom in court for an auto accident case. Dewey Cheatham & Howe v. Jake From State Farm. The guy was in so much pain he was crying from his beach house in Florida. His 10 hour plane flights around the world had become unbearable. My wife was the defendant and the trial had a cast of characters from a Seinfeld episode.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.