Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Adventures in cutting the cord

We cut the cable a few months ago and it has been pretty good so far. I have been using Hulu+ Live with the ESPN+ and Disney + bundle.
    We added some premium content, but haven't done the upgrade to 200 hr DVR and FF through the commercials yet. Total bill for the service is $115/ month, which is saving us a bit. Gotta add the cost of internet into the equation, which used to be part of our cable bill, along with Netflix, Prime, etc. subscriptions. Probably saving like $80/ month at this point, and the service is pretty good.

Recently I have discovered one major flaw of cutting the cord, and honestly it was one of the main reasons I was so opposed to it in the first place. Sports blackout zones. I can't watch Rays games, except on ESPN, which renders them unwatchable. ESPN seems to have no idea how to broadcast a baseball game.

So I am trying to use Express VPN to watch these games through the MLB app. Has anyone done this? It is asking me to change my location on Hulu, as my IP address does not match where I am supposedly watching from. Should I just permanently change my location on everything to Atlanta or Miami and just leave it, or do I need to toggle back and forth?
    Another wrinkle I have found is that Hulu only allows 4 location changes, so I am thinking I just need to set it up to be permanently located in ATL, as I don't plan on watch the Braves or Falcons.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't really want to start messing with location settings all the time, just to watch baseball, but it would be nice to be able to throw the game on as background noise sometimes.

Thanks for the help..

What are the blackout rules if you buy MLB TV? All games for a single team are $110. but "blackout rules apply" and I don't see the rules. If it was every game except games on national TV I'd call it a decent price.

Shit- I had no idea it was that much. I'll just go to the games. They aren't that much.

Yes, I can't buy the MLB package for the Rays because Spectrum has the package locally. The channel used to be Fox Sports FL, and it was available on Hulu+ Live. Somebody bought the channel and killed the deal with Hulu in October, so we are screwed.

I might make a deal with Spectrum for basic cable, since we still get our internet through them. They will get a kick out of us crawling back. Just as they planned.

Ha you can probably buy a season ticket for less.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    What are the blackout rules if you buy MLB TV? All games for a single team are $110. but "blackout rules apply" and I don't see the rules. If it was every game except games on national TV I'd call it a decent price.
    https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-game...lackouts-teams
    in my case it’s the local team blacked out.

mlb drops the price proportionally through the season in the past, but evenings had so much lag for me I quit subscribing. General experience was pirate streams had better reliability but shittier production.

Every few years I find my ATT/Directv bill approaching $150 (tv only) and remember there's not much on tv worth that much and call threatening to drop them. After getting passed around thru customer service they'll finally connect me to someone in Customer Loyalty, I'll nicely explain why I'm dropping them and somehow they find deals and packages to drop my monthly rates to what they were, I had to do this again a couple months ago and my bill is now $68 a month. I takes several hours sometimes (and lots of frustration) but they will always drop they're rates, I think customers are dropping like fly's and they'll do anything to keep them. I also just had my Centurytel bill lowered as well from $140 a month to about $70.

^^^ Same game with XM/Sirius and most other content providers. Seems like a game that not many play, they just shrug and pay more.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^ Same game with XM/Sirius and most other content providers. Seems like a game that not many play, they just shrug and pay more.
    My XM/Sirius bill dropped by 2/3's when I threatened to drop them and told them I had no interest listening to Howard Stern.

Cutting the cable cord
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=319540

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I saw that old thread, but a thread from 2018 talking about streaming services seems like a thread from 2010 talking about ski tech. It just changes so much all the time.

I will scan that thread to see if anything still applies.

The thread was started in 2018 but has plenty of recent content. I think the point was that it's the TGR ongoing thread on this subject. Looking at the first post and saying "nope, too old" would make many threads -- here, in tech talk, etc -- look outdated when many of them are long term comprehensive threads.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Cut effective 01/01/2020. We were rhe full boat Xfinity, cable/internet/land line through 12/19, was running about $225 a month including HBO / cinemax / etc. package. Have continued the internet through xfinity at $80/m which at the one year mark they jacked to $115. we were youtube TV / $65/m with only prime for a "premium" channel and honestly I was fine. EXCELLENT sports on youtube, until they dropped the tennis channel which was a deal breaker for Mrs. MT. So looked at FUBO but ultimately went with xfinity stream/internet bundle at $162 for both. Truthfully the xfinity stream sorta sux. you can't pause like youtube, UNLESS you are recording AND viewing the recorded version of the show. The sheer number of sports channels is about 1/2 of ;Youtube. BUT we have tennis channel ;-/ . so honest monthly savings in the $60-80 range. Think is, xfinity OWNS internet service. period. way way better and more reliable than ATT.

Also added OTA TV (we get aobut 70 channels). I ain't gone lie. figuring out APPS, cable splitters, etc. was a royal PITA. Worth it but fuckin a difficult transition. esp. for old people like us. YMMV
    "Can't you see..."

Content cost isn't what bugs me, it is the monopoly that Spectrum has in my hood. I hate having to pay $80 a month for an internet connection, but I have no other choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Streaming services have gotten so fragmented and expensive that it's inevitable people will start migrating back to a cable package.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Streaming services have gotten so fragmented and expensive that it's inevitable people will start migrating back to a cable package.
    Not with the current prices and services.

I don't watch network TV other than PBS news hour and locals news and that's available by antenna.

For Baseball I bite the bullet and buy the MLB TV package. $117 for almost 6 months is reasonable.

Other than that I have subscriptions You-Tube TV, Amazon Prime, Paramount, Hulu and Sling and all of them are paused until there is something I really want to watch and then I activate them.

Example: I turned on Paramount today for $ 5.99 for the month to be able to watch full Masters coverage.

Its a bit of work to keep track of but beats the hell out of that cable cost every month. Don't think that is realistic for a family with different tastes though.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I have an internet connection, pay for a Disney+ and Amazon Prime and borrow a password for Netflix.

I can’t imagine ever needing more content but I don’t watch sports.

Our cable is about $90 a month including local channels. My wife and I are both sports fans and we get all we need with that.

I tried a digital antenna a few years ago but the way our house is situated it didn't work.

Cable cut since 2004 (same time DSL became widespread in many BC small towns). Currently with a sub to Netflix and Prime, use ExpressVPN to access content outside our region and for torrent downloading. Our combined internet and landline phone bill is $120/mo CAD, VPN another $20/mo. Couldn't be happier although as the young one gets closer to teenage years, Telus DSL will likely need to be upgraded for bandwidth. Hope Musk's sat system works cause the local provider for a bigger pipe sucks (Telus subsidiary on cable).

But, we don't watch sports (not completely true, wife promotes the olympics, but the CBC does a great job for that). This seems to be the crunch for most when cutting the cord. No advice for the location switching issues between the VPN and your streaming provider as it's a pretty simple game with Netflix/Prime and ExpressVPN.

When Starlink gets here I'm gonna think about it, see what it will cost. I just have this feeling that Charter will throttle back my internet when I cut off the cable just so I get cable again, and they're the only option here currently. I got on a list for Starlink and got an email a few weeks ago that they're ready to expand service to here, we'll see.

Just the internet for me so $50/month.

Watched the live feed of the Super Bowl, Masters, and final game of Mens basketball. That's all the live sports and pretty much all the TV I need too. We have NYT subscription, and Amazon Prime as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Just the internet for me so $50/month.

Watched the live feed of the Super Bowl, Masters, and final game of Mens basketball. That's all the live sports and pretty much all the TV I need too. We have NYT subscription, and Amazon Prime as well.
    Prime used to be good but it's been gutted of free content as media companies take control of their content for their own streaming services.

We still have a DVD player and we get all kinds of stuff from the library. Watching season 4 of Game of Thrones right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210410_224145.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	371213

I need help. I was an early cord cutter ages ago, and was fine with an ota antenna and netflix. Then I fell in love with baseball..

Couple seasons ago I would just stream the games illegally. Last season I got mlb tv part way through the season, but my home team games are blacked out. Can't watch it live. Fuck you Rogers.

So this year I bite the bullit and get a 'cheap' tv package that our discount isp offers. In order to watch home games I had to get the Sportsnet package (rogers owns the ball club as well as Sportnet. Fuck you rogers.) Paying about $50 for the tv package.

Great for the first few games but now I'm seeing I need Sportsnet 1 for some of the games, which is an additional $10 per month.

This is ridiculous. I can't justify paying ~$60 a month to watch some ball games.

I also recently replaced my tv with a TCL Roku tv. Since it's roku, I can't download any web browser on this 'smart tv' to access streams online. Can't cast to the tv either

So I dug out and connected an old android iptv box that allows some browsers. No chrome or any 'brand name' browsers, just bullshit like Dolphin or Puffin etc. The streaming sites are basically impossible to navigate using a iptv remote control. After about 45 minutes of trying different sites I was so frustrated I tore the remote apart. (I'm usually pretty calm I swear lol)

So I ended up watching a stream on a shitty slow old tablet. The stream I was watching is a pirated version of the mlb tv stream. The irony of having to watch an illegal stream of something I would happily pay for if the service wasn't blacked out is just too real.

What is involved with setting up a VPN? Thinking if I can spoof my location I can get an mlb tv subscription but not sure how VPN's work.

Any info or insight is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Content cost isn't what bugs me, it is the monopoly that Spectrum has in my hood. I hate having to pay $80 a month for an internet connection, but I have no other choices.
    Jeezuz. I pay $22/month for internet and have Roku, plus a couple subscribes for shit I like. Then I turn off subscribes when what I like isn't playing, ie, showtime, starz, hbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post

I need help. I was an early cord cutter ages ago, and was fine with an ota antenna and netflix. Then I fell in love with baseball..

Couple seasons ago I would just stream the games illegally. Last season I got mlb tv part way through the season, but my home team games are blacked out. Can't watch it live. Fuck you Rogers.

So this year I bite the bullit and get a 'cheap' tv package that our discount isp offers. In order to watch home games I had to get the Sportsnet package (rogers owns the ball club as well as Sportnet. Fuck you rogers.) Paying about $50 for the tv package.

Great for the first few games but now I'm seeing I need Sportsnet 1 for some of the games, which is an additional $10 per month.

This is ridiculous. I can't justify paying ~$60 a month to watch some ball games.

I also recently replaced my tv with a TCL Roku tv. Since it's roku, I can't download any web browser on this 'smart tv' to access streams online. Can't cast to the tv either

So I dug out and connected an old android iptv box that allows some browsers. No chrome or any 'brand name' browsers, just bullshit like Dolphin or Puffin etc. The streaming sites are basically impossible to navigate using a iptv remote control. After about 45 minutes of trying different sites I was so frustrated I tore the remote apart. (I'm usually pretty calm I swear lol)

So I ended up watching a stream on a shitty slow old tablet. The stream I was watching is a pirated version of the mlb tv stream. The irony of having to watch an illegal stream of something I would happily pay for if the service wasn't blacked out is just too real.

What is involved with setting up a VPN? Thinking if I can spoof my location I can get an mlb tv subscription but not sure how VPN's work.

Stop watching baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post

I need help. I was an early cord cutter ages ago, and was fine with an ota antenna and netflix. Then I fell in love with baseball.

You can cast or screen mirror to roku with android or windows.

https://support.roku.com/article/208754928
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........