Page 58 of 149 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 3703
    ^ If taking 10 minutes to set up a ground tent is inconvenient I think you need to reflect. I’m speaking more to the fact of getting in and out of the tent and being able to stand up in it when I say convenient

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Safe to say that roof never comes off the Wrangler. That’s half the fun of owning one !

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Hasn’t been my experience/observation. I don’t know anyone that’s gotten an RTT and has willingly gone back to the PIA that is a ground tent. Can’t argue with comfort, but generally the more comfortable a ground tent the less convenient.
    I did for a number of reasons.

That’s it...it’s time to play G.O.T.O.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I did for a number of reasons.
    Yeah, just relaying my experience and what I’m seeing among my small group of camping friends. I wonder how much of that is the fact that you guys don’t have to setup/takedown again when you get home cause everything is wet and dirty.

If anything, people here are moving in the opposite direction. Buddy just built a ProMaster for pretty cheap and that’s gotten a lot of the collective gears turning.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

If I was inclined to "build" something for campground use, I'd probably build up from a utility trailer and customize a cabin tent on top with a cutout floor. I have an aging pop-up and it was never quite what I wanted. I haven't decided whether to get rid of it or rebuild it into something I like. It definitely needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    ^ If taking 10 minutes to set up a ground tent is inconvenient I think you need to reflect.
    That's what cracks me up about the whole trend. Since when did having a normal tent you could just toss in the back become so passé?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    If I was inclined to "build" something for campground use, I'd probably build up from a utility trailer and customize a cabin tent on top with a cutout floor. I have an aging pop-up and it was never quite what I wanted. I haven't decided whether to get rid of it or rebuild it into something I like. It definitely needs work.
    I’m in the exact same situation. I’m thinking it may end up a well insulated teardrop

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    That's what cracks me up about the whole trend. Since when did having a normal tent you could just toss in the back become so passé?
    It doesn't explain the RTT thing which I'm not exactly into either, however my reason for ditching the tent on the ground is that I got older. I don't like getting down and back up. It also keeps you out of the mud. Which is I suppose a reason for the RTT. Also, there's marketing and the whole explosion of GOTOS among tech bros and other young wealthy folk that are looking for a "lifestyle".

Because people like to buy shit they don’t need

What cracks me up is people spend 10 or 20x more on a RTT when a decent ground tent is really a better option for them and the way they camp.

Complaints heard recently: "it's really annoying having to put the tent away every time we want to drive somewhere". "And then we came back after our hike and someone else had taken our campsite." Ground tent!

Guy on his first trip with a RTT. "I'm definitely going to put this thing on an adventure trailer rather than have it mounted to the truck. That way I don't have to pack it up when I want to drive somewhere." Let me get this straight. You already have an unnecessarily heavy and bulky piece of gear that doesn't work well for you. And your solution is to spend another few thousand $$ and haul several hundred more pounds of trailer to accommodate said piece of gear? Ground tent!!

Another guy complaining... "All the sites here are walk in sites. You park along the road and the actual campsite is down there by the stream. They need to build more sites where you can actually drive right to where the campsite is." Ground tent!

There's a definitely subset of campers who RTTs are perfect for. Other than that they seem best for camping for people who don't really camp. Or combined with GOTOS, for people who enjoy gathering all the gear for an activity more than the activity itself.

very few car roofs are rated for the hundreds of pounds of human flesh and their assorted accutraments that will be rolling around up in that there rooftoptent.

Another guy complaining... "All the sites here are walk in sites. You park along the road and the actual campsite is down there by the stream. They need to build more sites where you can actually drive right to where the campsite is."
    Fucking idiot.

Hasn’t been my experience/observation. I don’t know anyone that’s gotten an RTT and has willingly gone back to the PIA that is a ground tent. Can’t argue with comfort, but generally the more comfortable a ground tent the less convenient.

Interesting, which parks? Haven’t noticed that at any of the parks we’ve been to, but I’m usually hauling the popup for a SP stay so probably didn’t notice.
    lol. A ground tent is a pita?

You folks are fucking soft

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Hahaha. Pretty hilarious. I think he's exposed the real truth behind the GOTOS crowd. They're soft and completely inept apparently. Probably freak out the second they leave the comfort of their Whole Foods parking lot's pavement, thus the traction plates, farm jack, variety of canisters, and even shelter on the outside, ALWAYS at the ready.

Driver: "AH! DIRT!!!"
    Passenger: "WHAT DO WE DO?!"
    Driver: "I DON'T KNOW!... I DON'T KNOW!!!"
    Passenger: "I KNOW! THROW OUT THE TRACTION PLATES!"
    Driver: "OK!" [hucks traction plates into the woods]
    Passenger: "Did it work?"
    Driver: "I don't think so. I think we're going to have to break camp and shelter here for the night."
    Passenger: "May God have mercy on our souls."
    Random guy putting away his shopping cart at parking lot 100' from trailhead: "Uhh... Are you guys ok?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Work in progress. Put the clunky steel bumper, winch, and beater Amazon led pods up front already as well as the oversized tires. Gonna try and find some plastic stuff to strap to various places and maybe a shovel or pulaski or whatever too. Oh, and like a dozen more light pods all over the damned place. I kinda fancy it being like a Christmas tree. You gotta put some lights and tinsel and shit on there, ya know?
    Attachment 383709
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	501877E3-F16B-46D4-95D3-80172042B160.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	476.8 KB 
ID:	383999

Interesting, which parks? Haven’t noticed that at any of the parks we’ve been to, but I’m usually hauling the popup for a SP stay so probably didn’t notice.
    I think some in VA where I am, and in NJ and mid-Atlantic. It may be dated now, I think it was a byproduct of the “no sleeping in cars” rule at some sites, and the rangers wanted to be able to do an easy site check for compliance. I used to spend a lot of time on the hammock forums site about a decade ago and this was a lively topic as to what easy beater tent just to put up as a decoy if you were doing the disbursed camp ring thing.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Around here a number of the state parks had a must have a tent-no sleeping in vehicles requirement. Which made the hammock folks set up some small shitty empty tent for compliance. I guess the RTT is a “tent” though.

That's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	501877E3-F16B-46D4-95D3-80172042B160.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	476.8 KB 
ID:	383999
    Is that in Espanola?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Is that in Espanola?
    Heh. No, Santa Fe last Xmas.

That’s it...it’s time to play G.O.T.O.S.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Yes, definitely. A tent big enough for a family, plus camping pads, in a place where rain and mud are inevitable is a PIA. Worth it for bike and backpacking, but not for car camping.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    What cracks me up is people spend 10 or 20x more on a RTT when a decent ground tent is really a better option for them and the way they camp.
    How are you liking that Super Pacific?
    Last edited by bagtagley; 08-31-2021 at 09:25 AM.

The drift to RTT is so funny. My 8yo daughter loves to steal my siltarp and enjoy a sleep out under the stars. She thought that was the best, until I joined her one night and just laid a sleeping mat and blanket on the ground. Nothing to shelter me from the sky! She took a minute to digest that scenario, then conceded that it was acceptable. But made mention that is was still fun to figure what config she wanted to pitch the siltarp. And she's a princess. There is hope for the species still.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    The drift to RTT is so funny. My 8yo daughter loves to steal my siltarp and enjoy a sleep out under the stars. She thought that was the best, until I joined her one night and just laid a sleeping mat and blanket on the ground. Nothing to shelter me from the sky! She took a minute to digest that scenario, then conceded that it was acceptable. But made mention that is was still fun to figure what config she wanted to pitch the siltarp. And she's a princess. There is hope for the species still.
    That's awesome. Kids love being outside and getting dirty. My daughter's biggest camping motivator when she was little was getting to poop in a hole that she dug.

Yes, definitely. A tent big enough for a family, plus camping pads, in a place where rain and mud are inevitable is a PIA. Worth it for bike and backpacking, but not for car camping.
    Hmmm....so a tent big enough for a family, plus camping pads, in a place where rain and mud is inevitable, perched 6 feet above the ground is not a PIA? Also, what happened to throwing a Paco Pad in the back of a pick-up with a topper?

QED bitches

Name:  hard-shell-roof-top-tent-volkwagen.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  115.7 KB

Lol