Page 120 of 149 FirstFirst ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 3703
    If the highway is 89 from Truckee to Palisades on any winter weekend

How dat street legal?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Saw this at the resort today

Attachment 440244

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If that's where I think that is, there are/were at least 2-3 of those conversion jobs there. Several of the homeowners on Lightning Ridge have those so they can drive up to their houses during winter. One guy managed to get his stuck in his yard and it stayed there all season until they could tow it out in the spring.
    Everyone else up there just uses sleds.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Hey do those traction plates that you see strapped to the outside of vehicles actually work well?
    I ask because we have a RWD sprinter at work which people get stuck regularly enough (also due to a lot of the properties that we go to are second+ homeowners and their driveways are less regularly plowed)
    I was thinking of checking some out to help save the crew some frustration.
    I’ve never had to resort to the ol’ car mats for traction but you hear about that as an old wives tale
    skid luxury

Available for acquisition is this gem, in Reno:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Hey do those traction plates that you see strapped to the outside of vehicles actually work well?
    I ask because we have a RWD sprinter at work which people get stuck regularly enough (also due to a lot of the properties that we go to are second+ homeowners and their driveways are less regularly plowed)
    I’ve never had to resort to the ol’ car mats for traction but you hear about that as an old wives tale
    One of my buddies has them, although he puts them inside which seems to defeat the purpose. Despite the endless shit I give him for owning them, the one time I saw them in use (to get a stuck van out of a deep drift) they actually worked pretty well.

The floor mats work great until you catch the hard edge of one in the face. Ask me how I know.

The only ones that work well are the bright burnt orange ones. In order to work properly, they must be mounted on the outside of the vehicle in a manner that allows them to be seen from any viewpoint. Only then will they offer the required traction for extrication from the various quagmires that you may encounter in the American west. Oh, and if they cost less than $300 they are probably cheap Chinese knockoffs that will leave you stranded and you will most likely perish. Have you considered a winch?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    The only ones that work well are the bright burnt orange ones. In order to work properly, they must be mounted on the outside of the vehicle in a manner that allows them to be seen from any viewpoint. Only then will they offer the required traction for extrication from the various quagmires that you may encounter in the American west. Oh, and if they cost less than $300 they are probably cheap Chinese knockoffs that will leave you stranded and you will most likely perish. Have you considered a winch?
    you sound burnt out on summit county tourist hell and general chaos that is part of the hell of living here? am I right?

oh and I have the orange ones and a winch
    came in handy twice last year one time driving into the mud and snow of new mexico in the dark at 11pm completely oblivious to what was going on and looking for a place to "camp" another time when I drove onto some ice while "offroading" in fishlake national forrest cause I was high and having a good time looking for some hot springs and being foolish hot springs were twenty miles the other direction by the way

Lots of dumb shit on this truck.

Extra points for:

- "I am my mother's favorite son" license plate frame
    - blue line flag sticker
    ‐ price tag on spare wheel
    - "He > I" thumper sticker
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230110_110814.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	442044

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I have the Chinese knock off version of the traction boards. They work pretty damn well but aren't orange and are stored under my back seat. -3 points right there.

I used them to get my mower unstuck this past summer. Might just strap another pair to the Scag to look extra overland-y.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I have the Chinese knock off version of the traction boards. They work pretty damn well but aren't orange and are stored under my back seat. -3 points right there.

I used them to get my mower unstuck this past summer. Might just strap another pair to the Scag to look extra overland-y.
    Dude, be careful, those things will surely crumble into deadly shards beneath your tires and be flung in every direction piercing the epidermis of your unsuspecting victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Lots of dumb shit on this truck.
    - "He > I" thumper sticker
    ^I had to look that one up. No shortage of monetizing identity and virtue; good to see the holy ppl getting their t-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMega View Post
    ^I had to look that one up. No shortage of monetizing identity and virtue; good to see the holy ppl getting their t-shirts.
    Huh. I always thought that was some sort of surfing brand.

Lots of dumb shit on this truck.]
    Is that a full width rear facing light bar?

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I was just about to ask the same thing. The fuck he think hes going to do with that?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Huh. I always thought that was some sort of surfing brand.
    Ha, yeah I always thought it was a watersports brand, too... "HEKI" is how I would read it I guess, sounded like scuba shit or something.

Till I saw the decal on the truck of a righteous coworker and it clicked.

Yes

They're Fuck You lights

Name:  FU Lights.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  334.3 KB

Name:	20230110_110814.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	442044
    D license plate means brand new truck or that guy just moved here

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post

I don't remember what color mine are, but I have the same. I toss them in the back of my super badass, super high clearance Ford Transit Connect van when I'm heading out to places I know that I might be driving on soft ground, even though I'm obviously not offroading that vehicle. I haven't used the new ones, but I used homebrew version which was basically just some 2x10 sections (or floormats) in the past multiple times to get out of places where my FWD, open diff transmission/traction control didn't want to go.. For driving around sandy dirt roads/parking at trailheads in the desert where I live, I think traction board-style solutions work great. I take them and a shovel when I'm going off pavement for much distance.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    One of my buddies has them, although he puts them inside which seems to defeat the purpose. Despite the endless shit I give him for owning them, the one time I saw them in use (to get a stuck van out of a deep drift) they actually worked pretty well.
    thanks for the intel Adrenelated and others. Thought about mentioning that we would keep them inside the vehicle too. it's all women at this business and they DGAF about vanlife
    jajaja to whomever mentioned the winch. I think we'd probably get a non #@*&% RWD vehicle before the owner went to the point of adding a winch. And did I mention I work with 8 women? FTR all very smart and capable, but for sure as hell not dealing with a winch.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    The floor mats work great until you catch the hard edge of one in the face. Ask me how I know.
    oof
    I can imagine the scenario, but I would also like to hear the story
    skid luxury

8 women that don’t want to deal with a wench?

Good times.

thanks for the intel Adrenelated and others. Thought about mentioning that we would keep them inside the vehicle too. it's all women at this business and they DGAF about vanlife
    jajaja to whomever mentioned the winch. I think we'd probably get a non #@*&% RWD vehicle before the owner went to the point of adding a winch. And did I mention I work with 8 women? FTR all very smart and capable, but for sure as hell not dealing with a winch.

oof
    I can imagine the scenario, but I would also like to hear the story
    Pretty simple. Stuck full size Chevy van in wet easily packable snow on a back road in VT. Bunch of long haired freaks doing everything they can to get it loose. Lots of digging, jumping on the bumper, swearing, throwing every thing we can find under the wheel. The floor mat just shot out from under the wheel like it was greased. Bam. Left a nice bruise. My face shouldn't been there but things happen in the fog of war. The particular snow was the kind that just slicks right up once your tire spins. Formed an icey trench.

Missing a Trucky-Bjorn to keep them connected

Name:	Image1673537259.795994.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	442339
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Couldn’t get a photo cuz I was driving, but I did read the logo as I passed

So here’s what was passing thru pdx today
    Attachment 443106