Page 8 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    ...tows around one of the most prominent (and difficult to import) vehicle in the world.
    Looks like it's based on a Land Cruiser 79 double cab pickup. Why are they difficult to get into the states?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    For some reason I suddenly want tacos.
    Right? That looks a lot like a "Roach Coach".

That setup absurd enough to be impressive. It is such a unique setup that is certainly used for more than as a daily grocery getter.

The local MTB trail system should be opening up soon. The high end Van Lifer/Overlanders should start flocking up I-93 from Boston and I-91 from CT/NYC/NJ anytime now.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Boat deck tilts down. Hydraulic arms about a third of the way back. Guy fabs a fifth wheel camper to a garbage truck and tows around one of the most prominent (and difficult to import) vehicle in the world. That is an interesting setup with probably a good story behind it.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that rig has never been in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that rig has never been in the USA.
    Taking a closer look and I think you're right. Appears to be Australian.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

There are a few imports around and an occasional foreigner that has one with them. I've seen a rig like the camper on the OR coast once but not as "nicely" done.

Ted-import rules for the 70s series are tricky and they're crazy expensive if you try to buy an imported one.

Just got back from Goblin valley and see this thread. ?There were lots of these out there!!

There are a few imports around and an occasional foreigner that has one with them. I've seen a rig like the camper on the OR coast once but not as "nicely" done.

Ted-import rules for the 70s series are tricky and they're crazy expensive if you try to buy an imported one.
    With the number of Delicas and JDM Toyotas I've seen around here lately, I just assumed they had relaxed the import rules.

Not relaxed, just many of the vehicles are hitting the import age. The LC 70s are still crazy expensive to buy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    With the number of Delicas and JDM Toyotas I've seen around here lately, I just assumed they had relaxed the import rules.
    If here is the ‘ham, how many are not quite legally brought across the border from Canada which has less stringent import rules?

im curios if the super rig isn’t someone with some mining connection and it was brought in as a work vehicle?

Just popped up on the craigslist.

not too many points here, but that rack has to count for a few. I'd love one of them on the grocery getter

Not relaxed, just many of the vehicles are hitting the import age. The LC 70s are still crazy expensive to buy here.
    Oh yeah, of course. I was spacing on the age thing. It's been a while since I've done it.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    If here is the ‘ham, how many are not quite legally brought across the border from Canada which has less stringent import rules?
    That's still pretty common. There's a guy here that has a car that literally can't be imported so he has BC plates. There's also a RHD JDM Toyota minivan 4x4 and a Hilux Surf diesel in my hood that came via Canada.

Spotted yesterday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ovlndtaco.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	524.3 KB 
ID:	371322

Lots of points there, but it's also legit.

I'm fairly sympathetic to most of the overlander crowd. It's an "oh bless your heart" sort of thing - most of us geek out on something. If you actually use it, welp - not much to comment on.

But I simply don't get the elevated tent thing. It's like a heavier, more expensive, less convenient tent? For people who don't want to commit to a shell, van, rv or trailer but still want to spend coin?

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Just popped up on the craigslist.

not too many points here, but that rack has to count for a few. I'd love one of them on the grocery getter

Is that even legal'????

I watch this guy on youtube since he started building the Corvair, thought of this thread..... skip to 6:30 for alot of points, stuck points but points none the less.

last one I posted was in WA, AUS. this one is not!

Name:	roadtrain.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	371324
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Spotted yesterday

Name:	ovlndtaco.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	524.3 KB 
ID:	371322

Lots of points there, but it's also legit.
    ^^^ Wins the "should've bought a bigger truck" award.

Old Jeeps often look like that too - tons of shit bolted on / hanging off everything on the outside...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Name:  Image1618263379.766333.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  128.7 KB. Hi lift jacks are now considered assault weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark.

My van mid-cross country road trip last summer:

Name:	IMG_20200801_194837 (1).jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	371337

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Name:  Image1618263379.766333.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  128.7 KB. Hi lift jacks are now considered assault weapons.
    Dragonman did it right - how many points for this rig?

I want to know the effect strapping all this crap onto the outside of your vehicle has on both fuel economy and wind noise. I guess it's worth it to look so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I want to know the effect strapping all this crap onto the outside of your vehicle has on both fuel economy and wind noise. I guess it's worth it to look so cool.
    You aren't exactly talking about the type of stuff I did, but strapping two kayaks and a roof box onto my van with three bikes on the hitch dropped it from 24mpg to 19mpg. It probably would have been a little less had we not been going through high speed limit Western highways for a good part of it as it did better on the backroads.

As to the more "overland" style stuff? I bet it isn't more than 1-2mpg, maybe at high speeds. Most of those vehicles are pretty un-aero to start with and the 35s likely do most of the dropping before they start adding the external GORP.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    I watch this guy on youtube since he started building the Corvair, thought of this thread..... skip to 6:30 for alot of points, stuck points but points none the less.

It’s funny how that guy recovers super-stuck vehicles for a living but doesn’t even carry a spare tire, has all his recovery shit rolling around the back without any custom drawers or organization, doesn’t have a large water container even when it’s over 100 degrees, as no bottle he brings is bigger than 20oz , and has no shit strapped to his rig at all.

We are all posers compared to him, but Christ, bring a jug of water in the Utah desert dude.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What? No it doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Dragonman did it right - how many points for this rig?
    That guy is the Colorado Springs spirit animal.