Page 59 of 149 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 3703
    PS sleeping pad in truck bed with topper will never fade away dammit

Although all of these short bed Tacoma buyers are sure trying.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    QED bitches

Attachment 384149

Lol
    Is that the kind of location that bagtagley likes to set up his campsites? No wonder he's all in on the RTTs. Hahaha.

Pic cracks me up. SO many things wrong with it.

That’s it...it’s time to play G.O.T.O.S.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Hmmm....so a tent big enough for a family, plus camping pads, in a place where rain and mud is inevitable, perched 6 feet above the ground is not a PIA? Also, what happened to throwing a Paco Pad in the back of a pick-up with a topper?
    I can’t really speak to a true RTT other than to say that the folks I camp with seem to prefer them and camp more as a result. The ones I’ve seen have a pad built in and definitely go up/down quicker. I have a wedge topper which, while a little tight, is pretty painless. And, unless I’m solo, I typically sleep on a pad in the bed of the pickup.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

And what about the mpg hit for the RTT for those who leave them on permanently? Seems it's a way bigger PITA to install and take off such accessories than to simply toss a tent in the back. Seems that many people just leave them on 24/7 for those few times they're actually in the wilderness. "Ermagerd! But de mud!!!"

I love all of the continual hand wringing about how other people like to camp. Never gets old. Can we talk about how Bagtagley doesn't need a truck and what he really needs is a manual euro wagon?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Although all of these short bed Tacoma buyers are sure trying.
    The short bed Tacos are a compromise between all the worst features you could have on a truck. Small engine, no storage, a *somewhat* cramped backseat, and the bed is too short to sleep in. No wonder everyone goes for the RTT and strapping shit all over them. After all the accessories it is probably cheaper to buy a full size truck.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    How are you liking that Super Pacific?
    Haha, RTT owner busted for mocking other RTT owners

FWIW this cost around 50x what I paid for my ground tent. Love it, but I still use the ground tent when I'm going to camp at same spot for multiple days while using the truck.

The real value will come in winter when I can show up super late and have this set up in 15sec rather than crash out in the drivers seat because its cold and windy and I can't be bothered to set up the tent. Or when I have tons of room to hang out inside from dark at 5pm til bedtime at 11 or 12.

RTT like a Tepui or any of those stupid square fabric tents are too much of a PITA do ever want to deal with. They take as long or longer to set up/put down than a ground tent. Try putting it away when its raining/freezing cold and your fingers can barely grip the zipper that you have to zip around the whole thing, while getting covered in road grime that rubs off the tent. Then you have to go home and set it all up again to dry it out. Assuming you even have a spot wide enough since the tent + vehicle occupies two vehicle widths. And like Montucky said its too heavy/bulky to take off the vehicle so you're stuck with it. And now you can't get in the garage because it's too tall.

Tepui on a Porsche coupe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porscheTENT.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	384154

NTTIAWWT

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I love all of the continual hand wringing about how other people like to camp. Never gets old. Can we talk about how Bagtagley doesn't need a truck and what he really needs is a manual euro wagon?
    Same. I can only list my reasons I tried and sold my RTT. They clearly work for some people and great for them.

What I really need is both!

I have a couple coworkers that give me constant shit about my setup and how it doesn’t count as camping. The funny thing is, they never go camping.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Same. I can only list my reasons I tried and sold my RTT. They clearly work for some people and great for them.
    Why did you sell it? Was it Rev’s cautionary tale?

Manuel euro wagon owner chiming in with some logs for the RTT fire. The general RTT cost-to-use ratio boggles my mind, but I'm always interested in how leveling and sleeping comfortably works when you're up on a vehicle. I've never really seen a RTT in use in America, but with the assumption that the GOTOS crowd gets all safari with theirs, I'm curious how leveling shapes up.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    The short bed Tacos are a compromise between all the worst features you could have on a truck. Small engine, no storage, a *somewhat* cramped backseat, and the bed is too short to sleep in. No wonder everyone goes for the RTT and strapping shit all over them. After all the accessories it is probably cheaper to buy a full size truck.
    Also this.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I've never really seen a RTT in use in America, but with the assumption that the GOTOS crowd gets all safari with theirs, I'm curious how leveling shapes up.
    That’s what all the traction boards are for, they aren’t just there for points! Build a quick ramp for the low wheels and drive it up the ramp to level.

If only this guy had remembered his traction boards (skip to 5:50) and traded the RTT for a winch

That’s it...it’s time to play G.O.T.O.S.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Haha, RTT owner busted for mocking other RTT owners

FWIW this cost around 50x what I paid for my ground tent. Love it, but I still use the ground tent when I'm going to camp at same spot for multiple days while using the truck.

The real value will come in winter when I can show up super late and have this set up in 15sec rather than crash out in the drivers seat because its cold and windy and I can't be bothered to set up the tent. Or when I have tons of room to hang out inside from dark at 5pm til bedtime at 11 or 12.

RTT like a Tepui or any of those stupid square fabric tents are too much of a PITA do ever want to deal with. They take as long or longer to set up/put down than a ground tent. Try putting it away when its raining/freezing cold and your fingers can barely grip the zipper that you have to zip around the whole thing, while getting covered in road grime that rubs off the tent. Then you have to go home and set it all up again to dry it out. Assuming you even have a spot wide enough since the tent + vehicle occupies two vehicle widths. And like Montucky said its too heavy/bulky to take off the vehicle so you're stuck with it. And now you can't get in the garage because it's too tall.
    Sweet. That SP is badass. I want to see one in the wild.

What you describe is what drove my decision to get a wedge. There are RTTs that are easier to setup/take down than the Tepui style, but I’m sure that comes at a cost, and they still have the other issues mentioned. I couldn’t care less how people camp, I’m just stoked to have more friends so game to go camping. Maybe the shine will wear off.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

Why did you sell it? Was it Rev’s cautionary tale?
    Having delivered Rev's trailer that RTT was on to WRV, his story hit too close to home.

Honestly, a tent and a couple of good cots was more our style. Or just cots if weather allows. Same time to set up, can leave at a campsite, cots level unlevel ground, less storage space when traveling and I didn't like driving around with it on all the time, can use with our car or raft, frees up rack for kayaks/bikes, don't have to setup when home to let condensation out to avoid moldy tent smell, don't have to climb down a ladder to piss, we were early adopters and hated talking to everyone and letting them climb up to check it out whenever camped around people (probably not an issue now), and parts on it broke and were hard to source. Bought on a deal and passed the deal on to a friend. Was an easy out. We have a van we use for winter/skiing. If I'm by myself, I sleep on a cot (tent if raining) or in the back of my truck.

I saw some of the pluses but for us, negatives outweighed.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Manuel euro wagon owner chiming in with some logs for the RTT fire. The general RTT cost-to-use ratio boggles my mind, but I'm always interested in how leveling and sleeping comfortably works when you're up on a vehicle. I've never really seen a RTT in use in America, but with the assumption that the GOTOS crowd gets all safari with theirs, I'm curious how leveling shapes up.
    Same way as leveling a truck camper, or a van, or a pickup truck that you're sleeping in the bed of works? Find a flat-ish spot, drive it up on leveling blocks/traction plates/rocks/etc. until it's level enough to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    That’s what all the traction boards are for, they aren’t just there for points! Build a quick ramp for the low wheels and drive it up the ramp to level.
    And the giant jacks. You can park on a hell of an incline and still have a level tent!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Same way as leveling a truck camper, or a van, or a pickup truck that you're sleeping in the bed of works? Find a flat-ish spot, drive it up on leveling blocks/traction plates/rocks/etc. until it's level enough to be comfortable.
    Fair enough.

Do we think the myriad of Crosstrek/Rav4/CRV/Outback/Forester RTTers are leveling like this on a regular basis? I've never seen any kit on board

It's not going to help level one of your wannabe MRAPs with a RTT, but a BAL Leveler is fucking awesome if you have a single axel trailer that needs leveling. That thing made setting up the pop-up so much easier. And, if you forget your handy level, a beer with a few swigs out of it works really well. Hand me my beer and watch this!

i-70 should be renamed “GOTOS Observation Corridor”, at least in the summer.

A few Sundays ago, I passed a forerunner headed east on I-70 near the Evergreen exit. The forerunner was pretty much stock, with only a hard shell RTT. Not much other GOTOS paraphernalia. However, he had obviously gone a little too extreme in the off roading department. His rear suspension was fuct. The rear of the vehicle looked to be 3 inches lower than normal and was bouncing and swaying all over his lane and almost hitting cars in other lanes. He was doing around 60mph, and that was way too fast.

Did this guy get off on Hwy 6 and take that slower road down? No. Did he take the Evergreen exit and take slower back roads down? No. He just kept right on bobbing and weaving on I-70.

For my truck I bought a pair of stick-on levels. One for side to side level went on the driver side visor and the front/back level went on the door. Easy to see how close to level I am. Get it close, and then drive up on rocks to adjust. No need to make it perfect. I just like head to be slightly higher than feet. But there are plenty of sites I just can't use...way too far from level. A few times I've pulled out the ground tent when it was easier to find a tent sized flat spot than a truck sized spot that was flat enough.

I used the stick on levels inside the cab on my old truck too, for a slide in camper. Works great.

I have a set of plastic leveling blocks to help when I can't find a level spot from driving around or suitable rocks. They're like a thick stack of lego squares that interlock so they can be stacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Here is contender from Germany competing for a Steeze-Of-Da-Week award, up in northern Norwedge...
    Yes, the rig has couple of plus points but there are so much minus points that I can not compute.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uu8.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	382.2 KB 
ID:	384205

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Plus 300 for weirdness.

Edit: and how in sev3n bloody hells does he get TÜV with that? (Remember over here we're not allowed to drive whatever we want and have to get through a safety check every 2 years)
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.