Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfire 2021

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Welp, it doubled overnight to 4K acres this AM
    Bombed it until dark, back at it today
    Attachment 379296

https://www.bendbulletin.com/localst...06288a123.html

It is scary dry here
    I have always thought the edge of the desert there looked like a tinderbox in the summer.

Blowing like hell out of the SE here this am which is odd, T-storms forecast for today. Goose fire double night before last and we are slated to see 100 deg. temps by the weekend. Oh and dry as a popcorn fart. Not good.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Sorry if this was already posted in here. Relevant to some of the recent convo…

https://www.cpr.org/2021/07/01/color...-shortage-pay/

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I guess so!

I dunno, I guess when sage and PJ are running all night get the fuck out of the way. That shit’s supposed to take a rest at night and let you get around it.
    What a dirty cheating bastard of a fire to stay ripping all night, it’s just not right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    That’s happening more and more often. The way things were is not how they’re gonna be.
    It’s really tough conditions this year. Low snowfall this winter, low rainfall this spring, then that fucking heat dome.

On a micro basis, there’s been little to no humidity recovery overnight, although that’s expected to change over the next few evenings. OTOH, afternoon/evening winds have been strong.

AQI currently at 269. Gonna be 97* today. AM MTB ride postponed until tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I have always thought the edge of the desert there looked like a tinderbox in the summer.
    It can be, especially as you go north. Around here, there’s usually enough snowfall to keep things moist during the summer. The biggest problem here has been fuel load from poor thinning practices. But this being the new normal…

I'm not sure I want to live in MT if it is going to be fire season from early July to late September every year. This sucks.

It’s only going to get worse, IMO.

Less snowpack, drier springs, not enough resources, more days not conducive to controlling a fire.

Duluth, MN looking better and better.

In southern OR, the Bootleg fire grew another 50k acres yesterday, or one acre every 1.7 seconds.
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7609/

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Duluth, MN looking better and better.
    Ya, sure:

If you hate smoke but want to live west of the Mississippi, anywhere within an hour of the Pacific ocean is your best bet. Sure there are days that will be smokey but the prevailing winds normally blow it east to places like Missoula.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    In southern OR, the Bootleg fire grew another 50k acres yesterday, or one acre every 1.7 seconds.
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7609/
    Heh, from the incident link.
    The Bootleg Fire continues to burn actively
    “actively“…no shit.

Burbank Fire - Selah WA

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I'm not sure I want to live in MT if it is going to be fire season from early July to late September every year. This sucks.
    I'm hoping a lot of the pandemic refugees are thinking the same thing. Nasty cold winter might not be enough to deter them, but months of hot smoky days could send them packing.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I'm hoping a lot of the pandemic refugees are thinking the same thing. Nasty cold winter might not be enough to deter them, but months of hot smoky days could send them packing.
    We were just talking about this. A full summer of 100+ days with smoke and a bitterly cold winter with a couple feet of valley snow that never melts...fingers crossed.

Hope you guys are right. Here’s the thing though, I don’t see anything changing. A lot of these people who bought, or had built, mcmansions live here for maybe 3-4 months of the year. Not hard to cherry pick the best months of the year and let it sit empty the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Have had 3 fires in the past 3 days started basically within city limits here, all human caused FFS!!!
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Have had 3 fires in the past 3 days started basically within city limits here, all human caused FFS!!!
    What city?

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Maybe pictures of the wife would help?

Vernon, BC.

Drove past the remnants of one that started from a cig butt on the side of the HWY. Was basically just starting to get into the garbage dump when they got it out. Would have been bad news if it did.

Night after that, one started on a wooded hill just above town and houses, thinking dirt bike.

Then last night another one, and it looks like a small one got extinguished last night beside the HWY by a couple of guys who happened to have a water tank in their truck.

The poor guys and gals flying choppers and water bombers got to be exhausted. So smoky now in the valley.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

OMG, that fire in the Okanogan is horrible. Nespelem is going to go the way of Paradise CA.

10,000-acre wildfire near Nespelem destroys 7 homes, leaves animals dead
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Wildfire is the lead story on CBS Evening news tonite.

After this winter and spring, combined with these temps, it's the perfect storm.
    Unfortunately, it's gonna run until November.

Or just use the inciweb site
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/07/14...in-early-july/

Don’t worry, everything is fine.

I wonder what percentage were planned Apprenticeship conversions that instead went to CALFire?

———————-

“The Forest Service’s California region had filled 3,820 of 4,620 planned permanent and temporary positions as of early July, agency spokesperson Regina Corbin wrote in an email to Stateline.
    Thirty-one of California’s 44 hotshot crews are fully staffed, Corbin said.
    Almost two-thirds of vacancies at the end of spring hiring were for senior firefighters on engine crews, the data reviewed by Stateline shows.
    The agency sought to fill 781 vacant permanent positions in California during spring hiring this year, according to the data. But it ended the hiring period with 725 vacancies. That’s a net gain of just 56 employees.
    In June 2015 the region’s leaders expected 96% of engines to be fully staffed, for instance. In June 2020, the share was 59%.
    In a different article published the same day at Reuters, still another disturbing fact came to light about wildland firefighter vacancies:

20% of the federal government’s full time firefighting positions are currently vacant, according to Kelly Martin, president of the advocacy group Grassroots Wildland Firefighters.”