Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfire 2021

Wind has picked up and she is roaring now. Supposed to be 60 to 70kmhr gusts today. Not good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210815_124325.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	927.3 KB 
ID:	382377
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    Chinooks flying overhead a few times over the past few days. Is that how USFS or other agencies get manpower to the front lines?
    Probably not. Most type 1 (heavy) helicopters aren’t approved for passenger carry. Exceptions exist tho, and I might be out of date.

Chinooks flying overhead a few times over the past few days. Is that how USFS or other agencies get manpower to the front lines?
    The heavy helicopters are more typically used for water or equipment carried externally under a long line.

The USFS tried flying firefighters in Type 1 helicopters once. It didn’t go well and they only move people in Type 2 and 3 as far as I know.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2008...elicopter.html

More likely they would be flying bucket support or just doing some military training in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Probably not. Most type 1 (heavy) helicopters aren’t approved for passenger carry. Exceptions exist tho, and I might be out of date.
    Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    The heavy helicopters are more typically used for water or equipment carried externally under a long line.
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    The USFS tried flying firefighters in Type 1 helicopters once. It didn’t go well and they only move people in Type 2 and 3 as far as I know.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2008...elicopter.html

More likely they would be flying bucket support or just doing some military training in the area.
    Thanks for the knowledge, fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    If your college education lines up with working for a federal agency, it might make sense to get into the pathways program, but only if you can line up a career ladder that gets you to the GS-11 level fairly quickly. Otherwise I would recommend finding a summer position with a company doing work in your field of education and future career goals.

Also, if you do apply for fire jobs, try to find somewhere that offers employee housing. You will save a ton. Also, realize you will probably need to have an application in by Christmas to be hired.

in all honesty, i have no desire to make a career out of fire. it is just something i am interested in and feel like my skills and experience would apply to.

i hear you on finding work that aligns with what i want to do later in life, but at this point i'm seriously considering a career in law and would like to live a little before i commit to that and spend my summers doing internships.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Maybe also keep your eye out for pathways positions. They are for students and can be extended while in school, etc. They can also transition you to a FT, permanent positions non-competitively when you graduate etc. Just throwing that out there for thought. Not that would “recommend” working for the feds.. The entry level jobs in most occupations pay too little these days. If you ever have questions, let me know.
    like i said, not really interested in a career. just looking for a season or two of work. that said, does working for a state agency offer any advantages for temporary seasonal work?
    swing your fucking sword.

Spent the week in the southern Wind Rivers. I guess I should have taken a conservation enforcement class before we headed out. Had to confront a group of assholes about their illegal fire in high winds and then go waste an hour of my time drenching it because the fucktards left it smoldering. The leader was an asshole to me in return. Maybe I do need to pack a gun? Not for the bears but for idiots.

The night before a dumbfuck group from Texas asked me where a firepit was so they could have a fire....ummmm no fires in the wilderness period dude. Then met with a group that had to do the same type of fire confrontation twice. That group who sort of became our trail friends for the week included a guy who had worked for the Colorado Forest service and he goes up to them with a phone video running and tells them to put it out now or the video goes straight to the ranger.

Anyway emailed forest service about this nonsense. Too little too late. I think the Winds needs permits. Next time out I'll be better prepared to deal with these pieces of human feces.

Seriously feel like their is no hope for Merica. Too many entitled selfish ignorant fuckheads who don't care about following the rules. Impossible to go anywhere without them putting our lives in peril.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Also could be out of date, but I was there for some of the first type one personnel transport missions on the Iron Complex in 2008. We did a few, with a couple different Carson s-61s, then a ship went down with 13 people on board and that was the end of that. And it was basically the end of my fire career, I finished that season, and dispatched a couple months the next year but I was done after that nightmare.

the video coming out of Parleys Canyon, UT is insane

https://twitter.com/mandeemagooo/sta...300472321?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    in all honesty, i have no desire to make a career out of fire. it is just something i am interested in and feel like my skills and experience would apply to.

i hear you on finding work that aligns with what i want to do later in life, but at this point i'm seriously considering a career in law and would like to live a little before i commit to that and spend my summers doing internships.

like i said, not really interested in a career. just looking for a season or two of work. that said, does working for a state agency offer any advantages for temporary seasonal work?
    I recommend the non-gov contracting. They just want bodies, so it’s a quick hiring process. I did it for a couple of summers in my mid 20s. It was worth it for the experience alone. I didn’t plan for it, I’m not in a related field, sort of, but have found that wildfire fighting looks good on a resume, regardless of what you end up doing for a living. It conveys something about your character that a lot of employers find useful.

Name:	20210815_151657.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	382405

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post

That's an excellent surreal shot!

Hope some precip hits your area. Light showers in the N.Thompson right now. 250 AQI still, but the drizzle is most welcome. No wind to speak of. Yet.

jesus. almost looks like an Instagram filter.

The Dixie Blues - AQI went well over 400 here today.

Life on Mars After Terraforming…

Must find a way to appease Logi. Otherwise this firestorm season will need Skadi to bring to heel.

Pissing rain right on the fire now. Radar looking good!

Schneider springs. 410 closed and homes evacuated.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Wildfire 2021

Pissing rain right on the fire now. Radar looking good!
    ^^Great news!!

~~~

Red flag warning soon over the Dixie fire and nearby areas. PGE planning to cut power in some areas of the state because of the wx fx.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 08-16-2021 at 11:55 PM.

Good news hefe.
    Winds have shifted here, from out of the north (and SE BC smoke) to westerlies. AQI in Sisters is about 30 right now, and high temp supposed to be 65 today.

In Bend, 20 miles SE, AQI=130, as smoke from Middle Fork Complex about 50 miles west is funneling through the gap between S Sister and Bachelor.

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post

Gang. Your pic?

I've been watching the maps for this one but have only been able to see smoke once from the Sound... about 85 miles away.

Shoot, if you think we got it bad google Siberia wildfires. Over 10 million acres are burning there.

We are so fucked.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post

Yesterday AM before the sun/wind got to it.

Name:	IMG_7079.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	382618

Smoke/heat poking a hole in a lenticular above it.

Name:	IMG_7076.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	382619

From the other side in the late afternoon…

Name:	IMG_7093.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	382620

From Whistlin’ Jack’s (not my photo)
    Name:  IMG_7103.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  31.2 KB

Have a friend who lives in the evac zone. I spend quite a bit of time down on that part of 410. Hoping the wx the next few days cooperates.

Patarero, awesome Rainier lenticular/pyrocumulus cloud. Never scene that before.

Is 410 closed due to that fire? I thought only Bumping Lake Road was closed. Does look like the fire is very close to 410 right now. The campground and the leased forest service cabins on the north shore of the lake still look safe for now. Fire is on Little Bald Mountain and starting to chew up the mountain bike trail there.

https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissur...dland_fire.txt

Wow are those lenticulars forming over the pryocumulus from the fire?