Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1120

Thread: Wildfire 2021

Longform New Yorker article:

What It’s Like to Fight a Megafire
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ght-a-megafire

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Reminds me of the letters to the editor by the local looney tunes, anti-government crazies we would see. Didn’t matter what was actually happen, they always had the inside scoop and knew the “truth”.

I’d at least maybe think harder about whether any of it was real or not if this “firefighter” actually used their name or presented something resembling a factual account.
    For a small free (I pay for a subscription) community monthly with a lot of inexperienced staff MI does a good job of fact checking and it sounds like they made an effort to fact check this piece as best they could, by talking to other firefighters. At the least I think the guy is who he says he is.
    This is not to say I believe or disbelieve the piece--I have no knowledge or experience to judge it.

As MS noted, sounds like someone with strong opinions about the FS, but not having any actual knowledge of the FS or how they work. Guy is out and out calling FS firefighters arsonists.

The fact check they cite isn’t a fact check.

The comments to the piece are interesting--several anonymous people took issue with the piece being anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Of all the natural disasters that could strike.. a wildfire is probably the one that terrifies me most. A flood you might be able to swim.. Tornado you can at least try to shelter low and strongest part of your place.. A fire you're just totally screwed. Best I can hope for is to suffocate before I burn.
    I think you’re forgetting the biggies: earthquake and meteor.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The comments to the piece are interesting--several anonymous people took issue with the piece being anonymous.

The old if you can't attack the message, attack the messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I think you’re forgetting the biggies: earthquake and meteor.
    The earthquake doesn't kill you like a flood or fire kills you... The buildings or other stuff falling on you kills you. As for meteor, sticking to terrestrial threats for now..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    The old if you can't attack the message, attack the messenger.
    The anonymous writer would have served themselves well by noting their current position and wildland fire qualifications.

Also useful when accusing people of arson, lying, etc would be actual location, time, fire behavior conditions, etc and qualifications to make such a determination.

But, the “USFS is incompetent” message plays well politically and that one hits all the majors.

“I’m in complete agreement with this writer” is not a fact check.

For example: “by policy, the USFS does not and will not protect private property, structures, or land.” AFAIK this is not factual and could have been easily fact checked.

There is a grain of truth in there, which is that fire suppression policy doesn’t appear to be working.

(Note that I’m not defending the USFS here, they have made a number of missteps, notably the Tamarack Fire this year. I m just not buying what this guy is selling. I’ve heard it many, many times and it’s usually not from someone who has any clue what is actually going on or what happened.)

My biggest gripe about CalFire is their 24/24 schedule on team fires. On even numbered days, one CalFire Division or other overhead may have one tactic only to have the odd day Division have a totally different tactic. Makes you resentful as a federal firefighter who is on that section day after day.
    Plus, it seems like CalFire is very reluctant to go after fires up in the hills with spiking out crews and getting away from roads. Their tactic of waiting with engines in subdivisions for the fire to steamroll through just doesn't work.
    One thing the Feds are doing poorly in general is cutting the number of tankers and helicopters on exclusive use contracts annually to "cut costs" only to have to bring those same aircraft on as 'call when needed" aircraft and pay exponentially more for them (assuming they're even available and not off doing mining or other work).
    If we can leave lots of blackhawks and chinooks in Afghanistan, why can't we find some for the FS!

Quote Originally Posted by camlax View Post
    My biggest gripe about CalFire is their 24/24 schedule on team fires. On even numbered days, one CalFire Division or other overhead may have one tactic only to have the odd day Division have a totally different tactic. Makes you resentful as a federal firefighter who is on that section day after day.
    Plus, it seems like CalFire is very reluctant to go after fires up in the hills with spiking out crews and getting away from roads. Their tactic of waiting with engines in subdivisions for the fire to steamroll through just doesn't work.
    One thing the Feds are doing poorly in general is cutting the number of tankers and helicopters on exclusive use contracts annually to "cut costs" only to have to bring those same aircraft on as 'call when needed" aircraft and pay exponentially more for them (assuming they're even available and not off doing mining or other work).
    If we can leave lots of blackhawks and chinooks in Afghanistan, why can't we find some for the FS!
    They have fires in Afghanistan too you know. Or is there nothing left to burn?

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    The anonymous writer would have served themselves well by noting their current position and wildland fire qualifications.

Also useful when accusing people of arson, lying, etc would be actual location, time, fire behavior conditions, etc and qualifications to make such a determination.

But, the “USFS is incompetent” message plays well politically and that one hits all the majors.

“I’m in complete agreement with this writer” is not a fact check.

For example: “by policy, the USFS does not and will not protect private property, structures, or land.” AFAIK this is not factual and could have been easily fact checked.

There is a grain of truth in there, which is that fire suppression policy doesn’t appear to be working.

(Note that I’m not defending the USFS here, they have made a number of missteps, notably the Tamarack Fire this year. I m just not buying what this guy is selling. I’ve heard it many, many times and it’s usually not from someone who has any clue what is actually going on or what happened.)
    +1. Well said.

WILDFIRE ACTIVITY - MONTANA: A wildfire destroyed the small community of Denton, Montana, north of Great Falls on December 1, 2021. 23 structures including both residential and commercial structures were reported lost. The fire was estimated at 112 acres and was reported contained.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Wildfire 2021

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post

WILDFIRE ACTIVITY - MONTANA: A wildfire destroyed the small community of Denton, Montana, north of Great Falls on December 1, 2021. 23 structures including both residential and commercial structures were reported lost. The fire was estimated at 112 acres and was reported contained.
    The same day most likely due to the same wind. Lost 11 homes just south of Great Falls. The wind has been relentless and with temps in the 50-70s and zero snow it’s not going to get better anytime soon.

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...ls/8821427002/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Pow4Brains; 12-03-2021 at 03:44 PM.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

If you fly over certain parts of Montana with an eye for fire scars you can see a number of long narrow ones from late fall high-wind-driven fires that took off like a scorched cat but died when the sun went down.

Can any Boulder mags chime in on the current situation?

Can't find any good info online other than that there's a wildfire or two getting blown by 30mph sustained winds. Doesn't sound good...

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Can any Boulder mags chime in on the current situation?

Can't find any good info online other than that there's a wildfire or two getting blown by 30mph sustained winds. Doesn't sound good...
    My friend's townhome in Broomfield is under evac for a fast moving grass fire.

https://twitter.com/deadpan_badger/s...g7nrVq8qCZtSCk
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I’ve read 100 mph + and Boulder
    OEM is advising Louisville residents to evacuate…..

Danno posted a map in the colorado weather and conditions thread, all of superior and louisville under evac. Looks awful and so sorry for those that are losing their homes. Never imagined a fire would sweep through that area but these winds are insane, 110+ mph and those fields of grass are dry af, only 1.5" of rain since June.

93 and 36 closed all the way to Lyons. Snow in forecast for area tomorrow.

Jeebus. Stay safe Boulder Mags. Can we get off this ride please?

The wind is crazy. This is a windy AF place, and this is the worst I can recall in 21 years. No idea how you contain a fire in winds like this.

A wildfire burning houses in Louisville in December was not on my 2021 bingo card.

As Jax said, the most posts and updates (for TGR) are in the weather forum/thread. This guy's twitter feed is pretty good too: https://mobile.twitter.com/mitchellbyars
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The wind is crazy … No idea how you contain a fire in winds like this.
    You pretty much can’t.

https://twitter.com/awesternlens/sta...007378455?s=20

Stay safe Danno and Boulder mags.

I’m up in Breck now and the winds today were incredible. Here’s hoping some of this snowstorm and moisture makes it down to ya.
    I still call it The Jake.

Really curious how the housing market is going to absorb all those displaced folks.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Really curious how the housing market is going to absorb all those displaced folks.
    Me and my buddy were talking about this earlier. Not like there's much available anywhere in the state really. So terrible.