Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfire 2021

As mentioned above, we aren't smelling it, just seeing and breathing it.

Just saw one of the big planes flying low, probably headed to Poci for a refill. Wonder what fire they are working in Idaho or MT.

It sounds like Quincy, CA is now under threat from the Dixie Fire.

Last edited by Kevo; 07-22-2021 at 02:22 AM.

GMUG NF lifting stage I fire ban this week. Adjacent BLM land had 5 starts from last night's lightning. Please be smart, Texans.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Name:  A223B26F-6080-441F-83C7-470971BB68C9.jpeg
Views: 683
Size:  191.6 KB
    I refer Mae West's version.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Name:  A223B26F-6080-441F-83C7-470971BB68C9.jpeg
Views: 683
Size:  191.6 KB
    agree with when it's good it's great. the terrible for me was stacking sticks in the snow on a fuels project. 10 hour days. cold. wet. soul crushing drudgery.

felt really really good to go back to that fuels project in five years and see that the huge fire that ripped through the neighborhood laid down and spared all of the houses and the immediate backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    It sounds like Quincy, CA is now under threat from the Dixie Fire.
    Heard emergency broadcast this evening on the radio that western Quincy is now being evacuated.

I wonder how big the Dixie, Tamarack, Bootleg, etc. fires will be by the time the rains come? Seems like most are primed to burn for a looong time.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just read the update and saw the map for the Tamarack fire and realized it was headed for Vets' house so I called him and he has evac'd with the wife, dogs, and cats to some friend's house but they still might have to run again. Told him I had room for him and friends if they have to evac again. He sounded fucking frazzled. Containment estimate on the Tamarack is currently August 31!

Fuck that sucks. Vibes to Vets and his wife.

Multiple wildfires likely to keep stretch of SR 20 closed through at least July
    By Mike Allende

As you may be aware, the Varden, Delancy and Cedar Creek fires have been burning in Okanogan County for most of July. This has led to the closure of a stretch of the SR 20 North Cascades Highway, currently now stretching from mileposts 165 to 185, west of Mazama in the Methow Valley. Emergency responders requested the closure for safety and to allow them to stage equipment to battle the fires. The closure also is helping evacuations in the area.

Despite the incredible efforts of the firefighters, the fires continue to expand and emergency personnel now advise us that the highway closure will likely be in place at least through July and potentially longer.

We know road closures are frustrating and we don’t close them unless it’s necessary for safety. In this case, the requests of those tackling these dangerous conditions along with the related evacuations – including Okanogan Fire District and the National Forest Service – make clear that this closure is needed for the safety of everyone.

We also recognize that the North Cascades Highway is a popular destination this time of year for travel between the beautiful Skagit and Methow valleys. The good news is, some of the most popular sites are still accessible, it just may take a little longer to get there.

OK, how do I get there?

This time of year, many people travel from the west side to Winthrop, Twisp Mazama and other areas that are easily reached once the SR 20 North Cascades Highway reopens from its winter closure in the spring. And while that highway does provide a convenient link between west and east, it’s not the only way to reach the Methow.

Typically, it takes about three hours or so to go from Seattle to Winthrop using SR 20. Getting there with that highway closed will add about 1½ hours to your trip. The most common way is:

· I-90 eastbound for about 82 miles to exit 85

· Take US 970 northbound toward Wenatchee

· Continue on US 970/SR 10 for about 10 miles. This turns into US 97, which you’ll stay on for about 35 miles northbound

· Merge onto eastbound US 2/northbound US 97 and US 97 north will take you into Twisp/Winthrop.

Alternatively, you could take US 2 over Stevens Pass through Leavenworth:

· Take I-5 northbound to Exit 194/eastbound US 2 in Everett

· Continue on US 2 for 107 miles, over Stevens Pass and through Leavenworth to Wenatchee

· Take the US 2/US 97 north ramp to junction of US 2/97 and SR 28 in East Wenatchee and go left onto US 2/US 97 toward Orondo/Okanogan

· Continue 57 miles toward junction of US 97/SR 153 south of Pateros and take a left onto SR 153 west to Winthrop. Continue for 40 miles to Winthrop.

Be sure to consult your favorite mapping app as it will help guide you where you need to go.

What’s open on SR 20?

The most popular destinations on SR 20 tend to be Diablo Lake and the Washington Pass overlook. They are truly beautiful locations with amazing views. The good news is that both are still open and accessible as they are west of the closure. You just won’t be able to go much further east than Washington Pass, including down into the Methow Valley. Also note that the North Cascades Highway is extremely popular and like most of the most popular recreation destinations in our state, it can get very crowded. Be sure to have backup plans if your preferred spot is full and never park illegally on the sides of the highway.

Remember that services are limited as you head into the mountains. Gas stations, public rest areas, cell service and turn around points become increasingly limited heading east into Rainy Pass and Washington Pass. Running out of gas or otherwise becoming stranded will make for a much longer, more stressful trip.

But is it safe?

If a highway isn’t safe, we would close it until it was. That said, there are fires burning east of Washington Pass and fires can be unpredictable. They can also lead to fast-changing conditions, road closures and delays. We encourage anyone traveling to areas where there is active fire activity to check with local emergency responders to see what the threat level is and also encourage people to research what the air condition is before they head to their destination.

You can also download our app for road updates, call the 511 travel information number and check our travel alerts page for more information.

Be prepared

Wherever you’re heading this time of year – but especially if you’re headed to areas with active fires – be sure you and your vehicle are prepared. As we mentioned, fires are unpredictable so road closures and delays can happen with little warning. Be sure you have plenty of gas, water, food, cell phone charger and other items you might need in an emergency. And be sure your vehicle is well maintained.

Closed means closed

It still amazes us that this happens, but we continue to get reports from those staffing the road closures that people are attempting to go around the closures. So to be clear:

· There are no nearby alternate routes around the closure. There are no Forest Service roads or other side roads open that allow access. It’s closed. Closed. You can’t go through. Closed.

· Trying to get through a closed road puts you and others in the area at risk. There are literally fires burning nearby. You should be avoiding that, not driving into it.

· If you go through a closure and get stuck, emergency responders including firefighters have to go save you. That puts them at even more risk and also takes them away from what they should be doing, which is fighting the fires that led to the closure.

We understand that there’s never a good time to close a road, especially a very popular summertime route like SR 20. We would love to have this route open, but safety of those responding to the fires and for the public is always No. 1. So until we get the all clear from the emergency responders battling to keep us all safe, the road must remain closed and we appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Multiple wildfires likely to keep stretch of SR 20 closed through at least July
    By Mike Allende

As you may be aware, the Varden, Delancy and Cedar Creek fires have been burning in Okanogan County for most of July. This has led to the closure of a stretch of the SR 20 North Cascades Highway, currently now stretching from mileposts 165 to 185, west of Mazama in the Methow Valley. Emergency responders requested the closure for safety and to allow them to stage equipment to battle the fires. The closure also is helping evacuations in the area.

Despite the incredible efforts of the firefighters, the fires continue to expand and emergency personnel now advise us that the highway closure will likely be in place at least through July and potentially longer.

We know road closures are frustrating and we don’t close them unless it’s necessary for safety. In this case, the requests of those tackling these dangerous conditions along with the related evacuations – including Okanogan Fire District and the National Forest Service – make clear that this closure is needed for the safety of everyone.

We also recognize that the North Cascades Highway is a popular destination this time of year for travel between the beautiful Skagit and Methow valleys. The good news is, some of the most popular sites are still accessible, it just may take a little longer to get there.

OK, how do I get there?

This time of year, many people travel from the west side to Winthrop, Twisp Mazama and other areas that are easily reached once the SR 20 North Cascades Highway reopens from its winter closure in the spring. And while that highway does provide a convenient link between west and east, it’s not the only way to reach the Methow.

Typically, it takes about three hours or so to go from Seattle to Winthrop using SR 20. Getting there with that highway closed will add about 1½ hours to your trip. The most common way is:

· I-90 eastbound for about 82 miles to exit 85

· Take US 970 northbound toward Wenatchee

· Continue on US 970/SR 10 for about 10 miles. This turns into US 97, which you’ll stay on for about 35 miles northbound

· Merge onto eastbound US 2/northbound US 97 and US 97 north will take you into Twisp/Winthrop.

Alternatively, you could take US 2 over Stevens Pass through Leavenworth:

· Take I-5 northbound to Exit 194/eastbound US 2 in Everett

· Continue on US 2 for 107 miles, over Stevens Pass and through Leavenworth to Wenatchee

· Take the US 2/US 97 north ramp to junction of US 2/97 and SR 28 in East Wenatchee and go left onto US 2/US 97 toward Orondo/Okanogan

· Continue 57 miles toward junction of US 97/SR 153 south of Pateros and take a left onto SR 153 west to Winthrop. Continue for 40 miles to Winthrop.

Be sure to consult your favorite mapping app as it will help guide you where you need to go.

What’s open on SR 20?

The most popular destinations on SR 20 tend to be Diablo Lake and the Washington Pass overlook. They are truly beautiful locations with amazing views. The good news is that both are still open and accessible as they are west of the closure. You just won’t be able to go much further east than Washington Pass, including down into the Methow Valley. Also note that the North Cascades Highway is extremely popular and like most of the most popular recreation destinations in our state, it can get very crowded. Be sure to have backup plans if your preferred spot is full and never park illegally on the sides of the highway.

Remember that services are limited as you head into the mountains. Gas stations, public rest areas, cell service and turn around points become increasingly limited heading east into Rainy Pass and Washington Pass. Running out of gas or otherwise becoming stranded will make for a much longer, more stressful trip.

But is it safe?

If a highway isn’t safe, we would close it until it was. That said, there are fires burning east of Washington Pass and fires can be unpredictable. They can also lead to fast-changing conditions, road closures and delays. We encourage anyone traveling to areas where there is active fire activity to check with local emergency responders to see what the threat level is and also encourage people to research what the air condition is before they head to their destination.

You can also download our app for road updates, call the 511 travel information number and check our travel alerts page for more information.

Be prepared

Wherever you’re heading this time of year – but especially if you’re headed to areas with active fires – be sure you and your vehicle are prepared. As we mentioned, fires are unpredictable so road closures and delays can happen with little warning. Be sure you have plenty of gas, water, food, cell phone charger and other items you might need in an emergency. And be sure your vehicle is well maintained.

Closed means closed

It still amazes us that this happens, but we continue to get reports from those staffing the road closures that people are attempting to go around the closures. So to be clear:

· There are no nearby alternate routes around the closure. There are no Forest Service roads or other side roads open that allow access. It’s closed. Closed. You can’t go through. Closed.

· Trying to get through a closed road puts you and others in the area at risk. There are literally fires burning nearby. You should be avoiding that, not driving into it.

· If you go through a closure and get stuck, emergency responders including firefighters have to go save you. That puts them at even more risk and also takes them away from what they should be doing, which is fighting the fires that led to the closure.

We understand that there’s never a good time to close a road, especially a very popular summertime route like SR 20. We would love to have this route open, but safety of those responding to the fires and for the public is always No. 1. So until we get the all clear from the emergency responders battling to keep us all safe, the road must remain closed and we appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
    Thanks for that KQ..... That was my planned travel route on leg two of my quest, but reading that and hearing from other PNW Mags I’m just not gonna chance it......Sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Thanks for that KQ..... That was my planned travel route on leg two of my quest, but reading that and hearing from other PNW Mags I’m just not gonna chance it......Sucks.
    If you reroute through Wenatchee give me a call if you want something to do in the valley. Lots of great trails and mountains here. Pm me for digits.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Smart call Seano. It sucks up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Is that a fire in north Alabama? Maybe a vaccine bonfire?

^ Heh.

Awesome video of the Dixie Fire in CA raging.
    https://twitter.com/Weather1224/stat...74713340960770

SPOTTING: This is a one hour time lapse of the #DixieFire between 4p and 5p, shot from Radio Hill in Quincy.

The smoke column (and pyrocumulus cloud) dominate this time lapse for a while... then about halfway through, notice the spot fire start in the foreground.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Lots of monsoonal rains this week. The rains (and lightning) make it as far North as Idaho and Montana as far West as Oregon:

Cliff Mass on the topic:
    https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2021/...on-brings.html

Tamarack is up to 47% containment, so they have really been getting it done. We're still bathed in smoke from it and Dixie though.

This pretty much sums up my attitude recently.

The Great Outdoors Is Giving Way to the Great Indoors https://nyti.ms/3kUkSKj
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

The Great Outdoors Is Giving Way to the Great Indoors https://nyti.ms/3kUkSKj
    Charlie Warzel sounds like one of those douches that moves from NYC to Missoula and complains about ________ even though it has always been that way.

This is a good line, "I am ashamed to admit, returning home from a quick trip this week, that I felt pangs of resentment as my plane descended into the valley where I live." I can see this guy jetting back and forth across the country complaining about the "man-made climate crisis causing the smoke."