Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfire 2021

Calder fire coming in hot.

Over 300 unable to fill engines, no fills on DIVS and looks to line up to South Lake Tahoe.
    No major fire scars to slow it down.

Remind me when California really starts to burn?

Sent from yet an other unskilled laborer🎯

American Experience, the big burn of 1910 on PBS tonight in Montana. A fascinating history of the 1910 fire around Wallace Idaho and into Montana.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_1910

Wiki says 3 million acres

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    In two days? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    Calder fire coming in hot.

Over 300 unable to fill engines, no fills on DIVS and looks to line up to South Lake Tahoe.
    No major fire scars to slow it down.

Remind me when California really starts to burn?

Sent from yet an other unskilled laborer��
    If you're going to post on a forum frequented by mostly non-firefighters you might consider skipping the acronyms and jargon.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you're going to post on a forum frequented by mostly non-firefighters you might consider skipping the acronyms and jargon.
    https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/08/24...e-caldor-fire/

https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/08/24...-firefighters/

Interesting to me that so far little of the fire activity has been in the coastal and coast range areas of California which have been so heavily involved the last few years. But the "fire season" hasn't started yet.

It was less of a drought in Northern Coastal CA than the rest of CA. Up in WA and Northern OR, we were not even in drought when the summer arrived here. We have fires east of the Cascades, but that is typical every year. Also, not aware of any lightning storms to hit coastal WA, OR, or Northern CA this summer.

Name:  zin-202102.png
Views: 574
Size:  443.2 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210302_usdm.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	357.0 KB 
ID:	383518

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    American Experience, the big burn of 1910 on PBS tonight in Montana. A fascinating history of the 1910 fire around Wallace Idaho and into Montana.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_1910

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Grandma on my dad’s side, her folks homesteaded on the Pend Oreille River between Ione and Metaline Falls. They lost everything, structures, livestock and all personal belongings except the clothes on their backs. They only survived by fleeing into the river.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Never a dull moment. https://yubanet.com/regional-fires/b...Tz3hkJDN4kHa78

Currently safe at home. Ash falling.

Wildfire 2021

Living near an airbase when there’s a local fire, I am always glad to read when tankers are “on load and hold.”

Also, “load and hold” reminds me of myself every morning after that first sip of coffee.

It’s not the sketchy ragers burning a little town, but there’s a rare and interesting island wilderness fire on Isle Royale.

Name:  27FA0B60-7FCE-452A-9E0D-01C26DDBDE80.jpeg
Views: 627
Size:  42.6 KB

Wildfire 2021

Anyone else getting a bad feeling about SLT? If the wind forecast holds it looks like the window to possibly contain eastward spread is closing fast - Sunday into mid next week looks shitty.

The link to the-lookout.org was previously posted but I’ve been very impressed with the coverage on there. Thoughts go out to the folks in harm’s way and the boots on the ground.

Honest question, at what point does someone in the line of fire start dropping/clearing trees around their place. Is that even a realistic option?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Anyone else getting a bad feeling about SLT? If the wind forecast holds it looks like the window to possibly contain eastward spread is closing fast - Sunday into mid next week looks shitty.

The link to the-lookout.org was previously posted but I’ve been very impressed with the coverage on there. Thoughts go out to the folks in harm’s way and the boots on the ground.

Honest question, at what point does someone in the line of fire start dropping/clearing trees around their place. Is that even a realistic option?

If you live in fire country and you don’t have defensible space you start dropping them now to get to firewise standards along with implementing all of the other recommendations around wood piles, screening, etc

IMO - If you are in an evac zone you waited way to long, but you might as well take a shot at it.

I worked on the Angora fire after it came through and it blew my mind how much fuel treatment needed to be done adjacent to houses outside the fire.

Interesting article, makes it sound almost easy. It’s not.
    California's Wildfire Problem Could Be Solved by a Few Legal Changes
    “There’s a bias in the law over the last 100 years toward creating lots of liability for people who try to create fires on their lands, and no liability for people who keep their land as a tinderbox,” says Michael Wara, a research scholar focusing on climate and energy policy at Stanford Law School. He says many of those who plan controlled burns are firefighters volunteering time in the offseason to make their own communities more resistant to wildfires. “If we’re not going to pay them, at least we shouldn’t put their own personal wealth at risk when they’re trying to be a good Samaritan,” says Wara.
    However, a significant chunk of California—and a large part of the land that has burned this season—is owned by the federal government, and with local authorities lacking jurisdiction over federal lands, no county board is going to make much headway accusing them of being a nuisance. Federal land management policy is a hotly contested issue in D.C. and Sacramento, with some officials advocating to stomp out every fire as soon as it is detected against the advice of scientists and forestry experts, who say it’s better to allow smaller burns to clear out decades of built up underbrush in order to prevent the worst and most dangerous conflagrations that can send clouds of wildfire smoke drifting into large cities.

I flew over both the Dixie Fire and the Caldor Fire yesterday heading into and out of SFO.

Here's the Dixie Fire. Note the multiple heads. The closer hot area is the south end of the fire. In the distance about 40 miles away you can see the northern head kicking off a lot of smoke.

Name:	PXL_20210826_230420568.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	857.3 KB 
ID:	383713

And here's a look at the Caldor Fire, which was really cranking yesterday.

Name:	PXL_20210827_015541351_2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	653.2 KB 
ID:	383714

^ Impressive fire behavior on the tail/upwind flank. Not seeing a lot of secured line there.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    It’s not the sketchy ragers burning a little town, but there’s a rare and interesting island wilderness fire on Isle Royale.

My wife and I did a backpacking trip through there last fall. With how spread out some of the campgrounds are I’m wondering how they’re handling evacuations, or if those are even necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

I always wanted to go to one of those northern lake country fires, just for the experience.

There’s a bias in the law over the last 100 years toward creating lots of liability for people who try to create fires on their lands, and no liability for people who keep their land as a tinderbox,” says Michael Wara, a research scholar focusing on climate and energy policy at Stanford Law School. He says many of those who plan controlled burns are firefighters volunteering time in the offseason to make their own communities more resistant to wildfires. “If we’re not going to pay them, at least we shouldn’t put their own personal wealth at risk when they’re trying to be a good Samaritan,” says Wara.
    So if I do my own controlled burn on my own land and it gets out of control and burns down my neighbors house, tough shit for my neighbor and I shouldn't have to pay?

However, a significant chunk of California—and a large part of the land that has burned this season—is owned by the federal government, and with local authorities lacking jurisdiction over federal lands, no county board is going to make much headway accusing them of being a nuisance. Federal land management policy is a hotly contested issue in D.C. and Sacramento, with some officials advocating to stomp out every fire as soon as it is detected against the advice of scientists and forestry experts, who say it’s better to allow smaller burns to clear out decades of built up underbrush in order to prevent the worst and most dangerous conflagrations that can send clouds of wildfire smoke drifting into large cities.
    So should we give local lands managers (cities, counties) the ability to manage National Forests, National Parks, BLM land, and Wilderness? Sounds like something Ammon Bundy would suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    If you live in fire country and you don’t have defensible space you start dropping them now to get to firewise standards along with implementing all of the other recommendations around wood piles, screening, etc

IMO - If you are in an evac zone you waited way to long, but you might as well take a shot at it.

I worked on the Angora fire after it came through and it blew my mind how much fuel treatment needed to be done adjacent to houses outside the fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

About 4 months ago if not sooner. And obviously you have to be able to get rid of the stuff you cut. Not going to be easy to do that. Getting rid of green waste is a big issue here from just private land, let alone from the public forest surrounding us.

What bugs me--the FD inspects for defensible space around houses and most people do a fairly good job of it. But there's a number of undeveloped lots between the houses and a big swath of undeveloped private land uphill from us and nobody clears it or inspects it.

People can and should be scrambling to remove veg and tree too c close to the structures. Getting rid of the green waste is ideal but getting it away from your structures is better than leaving it.

Tahoebc posted a picture a few days ago of his friend hauling off green waste in South Lake Tahoe. In the background of that picture, you can see a house with short trees touching or almost touching the house. Cutting them down and dragging the tree away from any structure would be better than leaving it there.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    So should we give local lands managers (cities, counties) the ability to manage National Forests, National Parks, BLM land, and Wilderness? Sounds like something Ammon Bundy would suggest.
    This is already happening. They are called Stewardship Agreements. It goes from federal gov to Calfire to local agency. The ones that I have seen have been limited in scope. Also, federal enviro regs have still been applied.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    People can and should be scrambling to remove veg and tree too c close to the structures. Getting rid of the green waste is ideal but getting it away from your structures is better than leaving it.

Tahoebc posted a picture a few days ago of his friend hauling off green waste in South Lake Tahoe. In the background of that picture, you can see a house with short trees touching or almost touching the house. Cutting them down and dragging the tree away from any structure would be better than leaving it there.

Good point, as long as you have the room to pile them away from the house. I'm surprised there are still a lot of people with no defensible space. (Not really surprised.) We have German friends--the woman is American born and in Germany she tries to persuade people to let their grass yards go natural so the critters large and small can thrive. So she refuses to allow proper clearing of brush around her parents' cabin at Donner Lake. She doesn't get it that there's plenty of natural vegetation all around us and it's best for the critters that they stay out of our yards. This ain't Germany.

200 soldiers to train at JBLM to assist with California wildfires

A group with the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise asked for help from the Department of Defense on Saturday.

It requested 200 active-duty U.S. Army soldiers to assist in wildfire suppression efforts in Northern California.

The soldiers, along with command and support staff, will train at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Tacoma and on the fire line from Monday to Wednesday. Following training, they will serve as hand crews.

The request was made by the National Multi-Agency Coordinating Group at Boise’s National Interagency Fire Center on Development Avenue near the Boise Airport. The group coordinates and mobilizes response resources across the country. Two similar requests were granted last year.

“The United States has been experiencing above-normal fire activity throughout multiple geographic areas, which will likely continue into the fall,” said Josh Simmons, chair of the coordinating group, in a news release. “These conditions are creating competition for all types of wildland fire resources. In order to meet current demands, we are working with the U.S. military to activate additional fire suppression resources.”

There are 84 ongoing fires burning on 2.5 million acres across nine states. In Idaho, 19 active fires are burning across more than 153,000 acres. More than 26,000 firefighters are working on containment or responding to wildfire incidents across the country.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...#storylink=cpy

Name:	smoke 8-30-21.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	384005

Name:	caldor 8-30-21.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	490.5 KB 
ID:	384006

yellow dots are structures