Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfire 2021

good lord glade. i normally enjoy your misplaced misanthropic anger because i can relate. saying that was more reprehensible than anything or anyone that you're mad at.

The unpermitted wax ring finally gave out.

I hope glade uses his time off to seek help, there is seriously something fucked in the head with that dude!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    The unpermitted wax ring finally gave out.
    lmfao!

I'm not missing the bullshit of contracting with BLM and USFS. So many people have quit they're advertising for help. Yet, they just don't seem to get why everyone is sick of the shit.

Fat finger

Not fire, but one summer on a USFS Trail Crew was enough for me to know:
    1.) why the Forest Service can't maintain campgrounds or trails or roads or build any type of infrastructure anymore. (hint it's not for lack of funds or resources, or nepa, or any other excuse.... it's due to incredibly inept middle and upper management, who mostly spend their time dwelling on why x or y can't be done due to lack of z. Oh, and hiring people who check the right boxes on usajobs.gov but have zero outdoor experience, let alone experience using a tool. )
    2.) that it was not career path for me.

I think that's the case for a lot of people, which is why the FS perpetuates a culture of ineffectiveness, malaise, grift and general worthlessness. It rewards those who can't, and chases out those who can.

#FireFriday: The Robertson Draw Fire is 7 miles S of Red Lodge, Montana and is estimated at 24,273 acres. Red Lodge is a popular tourist area as it leads into Yellowstone National Park. The fire is suspected to be human-caused. This is another example of how wildfires can impact areas where we least expect them to. You can see the fire perimeter and other info on our website: https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org...tson-draw-fire.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    This is another example of how wildfires can impact areas where we least expect them to.
    uhhh....

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    snip.......It rewards those who can't, and chases out those who can.

Very well said. It sums up the whole ball of wax.

Looks like políticos are trying to tack on something for wildland fire to the infrastructure bill. It looks weak to me, but Bill Gabbert’s take at the end of the article hits on most of my reservations.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/06/18...ew-job-series/

Except that I think that what little stuff there is in there for the grunts will eventually get cut from the bill. Fucking Congress and DC, buncha idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Not fire, but one summer on a USFS Trail Crew was enough for me to know:
    1.) why the Forest Service can't maintain campgrounds or trails or roads or build any type of infrastructure anymore. (hint it's not for lack of funds or resources, or nepa, or any other excuse.... it's due to incredibly inept middle and upper management, who mostly spend their time dwelling on why x or y can't be done due to lack of z. Oh, and hiring people who check the right boxes on usajobs.gov but have zero outdoor experience, let alone experience using a tool. )
    2.) that it was not career path for me.

I think that's the case for a lot of people, which is why the FS perpetuates a culture of ineffectiveness, malaise, grift and general worthlessness. It rewards those who can't, and chases out those who can.
    I had/have a very similar USFS experience/opinion. The usajobs hiring process and the outcomes it produces are without the doubt the worst possible way one could go about filling jobs. But the high level brass knows it’s needed because on the ground management has Trump level incompetence. This promotes a self perpetuating cycle of bullshit. I quit the USFS after one fire roll. Zero chances I was going to continue to work with those fire boner idiots. I’ve worked in the woods on the timber harvesting side, I know hard work. The entire mentality I witnessed in USFS fire was a disappointment of epic proportions. I’m sure I’ll draw heat from many career fire guys. Your work is appreciated but the structure and culture of wild land fire is complete insanity. I’m a leftist but I’d rather hang out with redneck loggers than smokejumpers or hot shots any day of the week.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I had/have a very similar USFS experience/opinion. The usajobs hiring process and the outcomes it produces are without the doubt the worst possible way one could go about filling jobs. But the high level brass knows it’s needed because on the ground management has Trump level incompetence. This promotes a self perpetuating cycle of bullshit. I quit the USFS after one fire roll. Zero chances I was going to continue to work with those fire boner idiots. I’ve worked in the woods on the timber harvesting side, I know hard work. The entire mentality I witnessed in USFS fire was a disappointment of epic proportions. I’m sure I’ll draw heat from many career fire guys. Your work is appreciated but the structure and culture of wild land fire is complete insanity. I’m a leftist but I’d rather hang out with redneck loggers than smokejumpers or hot shots any day of the week.

I guess that means there is no invite forthcoming?

You know how you can tell a smokejumper or hotshot in a crowd? They’ll tell you

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You know how you can tell a smokejumper or hotshot in a crowd? They’ll tell you

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah they make ski patrollers seem like nice humble people.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Looks like políticos are trying to tack on something for wildland fire to the infrastructure bill. It looks weak to me, but Bill Gabbert’s take at the end of the article hits on most of my reservations.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/06/18...ew-job-series/

Except that I think that what little stuff there is in there for the grunts will eventually get cut from the bill. Fucking Congress and DC, buncha idiots.
    Thanks for posting. It’ll be interesting to see what happens. Now is the time to contact congress folks.

Back in early May, there were two plans for the infrastructure bill(s). One to push through one big bill. The other was to passes a smaller bill with strong bipartisan support then slam through a second bigger bill through that budget reconciliation process. So items that get pulled and new items can be added to the second bill (if it happens)….

Sometimes I’d encounter crews that were just so full of shit. Or individual jumpers on overhead gigs who were awful condescending douchebags. To hear somebody who caught a super bad vibe from a few fires with a bad group…that doesn’t surprise me one bit. Not one bit.

In fact, just for an example, someday I will piss on Rich Tingle’s grave; and that guy better hope we never meet in a dark alley someday.

Crew/program culture was one of my interests. I was always really wary of just talking a job somewhere I didn’t know/trust anybody, because the low/bad end of the negative vibes would be torture for 6 months of 24/7…I know because that’s how Grayback John Day was for me, coming in from out of town site unseen at age 20.

The other side is that there were some crew/program cultures that were positive and light and funny and squared-away. The really hard part, and the ninja-factor (or luck factor) of career development, in my view, is finding the right fit as quickly as you can, so you’re not wasting too many seasons wearing through your cartilage going nowhere with your quals. So you’re not starting to wear out by the time you find a good fit.
    It seemed to me that a lot of the people who do the best are ones who had a good program near home and they got started young and did all the hard rookie stuff when they were 18/19/20 yrs old, and the really tough grinding through all the trainee gigs and task books in their 20s, so that by the time they started getting into their mid 30s with wear and tear becoming an issue, they were moving into more supervisory and oversight roles, and had lots of those kind of options opening up.

It’s a lot harder to spend 10 years knocking around getting nothing done career-wise, then finally start getting some traction as the wear and tear starts coming into play.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Sometimes I’d encounter crews that were just so full of shit. Or individual jumpers on overhead gigs who were awful cunts. To hear somebody who caught a super bad vibe from a few fires with a bad group…that doesn’t surprise me one bit. Not one bit.

Crew/program culture was one of my interests. I was always really wary of just talking a job somewhere I didn’t know/trust anybody, because the low/bad end of the negative vibes would be torture for 6 months of 24/7…I know because that’s how Grayback John Day was for me, coming in from out of town site unseen at age 20.

The other side is that there were some crew/program cultures that were positive and light and funny and squared-away. The really hard part, and the ninja-factor (or luck factor) of career development, in my view, is finding the right fit as quickly as you can, so you’re not wasting too many seasons wearing through your cartilage going nowhere with your quals.

There were some white males hired and your last thought about finding the "right fit" I always describe as finding a mentor. I used to use another term for mentor, but being PC now. We all needed some one that will push for a person to get that first appointment.

I was just about out of hope, took a job on the Toiyabe, where I seemed to be getting some traction and then a fire where homes were lost in a small community ended in a Congressional Investigation of the fire. The FMO, AFMO were quickly transferred, detailers brought in, and that was the end of the 13 year odyssey for me. I was tracking on fire, timber, and LEO quals and experience so had several avenues to pursue.

New start (10hrs ago)

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

NEW START (13hrs ago)
    Oregon
    Warm Springs Indian reservation. West of Sunflower flats

Pine Grove Fire(temp name until found)
    Still gathering more info...

https://www.facebook.com/CGWildfireInfoAdmin

Looks to be on N end of Rez on the way from Govy to Maupin. Some of that area burned last September

WILDFIRE ACTIVITY - OREGON: Firefighters are engaged with a wildfire 6 miles north of The “Cutoff Fire” is approximately 6 miles north of Bonanza, Oregon. Fire is estimated at 100 acres. Dozens of structures are threatened and evacuations have been ordered.

Name:  FB_IMG_1624171188744.jpeg
Views: 605
Size:  43.6 KB

So the fire on the Warm Springs Reservation has grown to 4300 acres and zero percent contained.

https://ktvz.com/news/fire-alert/202...y-evacuations/

Can see it from Mt Hood Meadows https://www.skihood.com/en/the-mount...-mountain-cams

Smoke has drifted down to Sisters and Bend. Gonna suck when it gets really hot tomorrow.

Fires going in Klamath Falls - per KQs post above - and Rogue Valley as well.

Happy last day of spring…

Fire near Lynx Pass blew up yesterday, just south of Stagecoach State Park near several homes. Muddy Slide fire. Lightning. That whole area is a tinderbox.

New fires in Hayden, one near Dinosaur (north Moffat Cnty), and also Eagle also popped up yesterday. Hayden is out but all the others are just getting started.

Huge chinook flew over town yesterday, wow those things are massive.

We need to be in Stage II restrictions like yesterday. What in the everliving fuck is the state waiting for? July 4th just around the corner, millions of tourons just waiting to light their stupid fireworks and campfires over the next month...this will not bode well for us. Stage I language is too confusing for the average stupid person. Fires allowed in developed sites.... doesn't say anything about actual metal fire ring, nothing about dispersed camping/rock fire rings... Don't people that write the rules know that stupid people don't read more than one sentence? They need to simplify the wording and/or the stages of fire ban, IMHO.

Modern weather is just nutso. It’s 44* and drizzling here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBBF02BF-A133-409F-99D4-135EAFBADA05.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	377588

Everything in extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Huge chinook flew over town yesterday, wow those things are massive.
    They are…but look at this monster:
    Name:  F75309E1-BB05-4B68-9F1F-8EEED99E15EE.jpeg
Views: 494
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  CC7DCC35-B091-4C0C-A855-558A44B4EEFE.jpeg
Views: 467
Size:  23.5 KB