Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfire 2021

Currently worse then that up here in BC. Truck covered in ash this morning and it reeks like smoke in my office. Eyes burning inside.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I was really surprised to read this on the Inciweb page for Bootleg. I knew they had to de-energize power lines, but had no idea about the effect of smoke on powerlines.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7609/
    I’ve seen arcing. Smart people don’t stand near power lines when it’s smokey at ground level.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Currently worse then that up here in BC. Truck covered in ash this morning and it reeks like smoke in my office. Eyes burning inside.
    I forget where you are Hefe but Castlegar area, Vernon and Kamloops all look awful. Nice to see we aren't the worst in the world anymore?

Good luck with the rest of the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I’ve seen arcing. Smart people don’t stand near power lines when it’s smokey at ground level.
    Thank you for the smartening…

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I forget where you are Hefe but Castlegar area, Vernon and Kamloops all look awful. Nice to see we aren't the worst in the world anymore?

Good luck with the rest of the summer!
    In Vernon. Just nasty.

Can’t you get filters in your office? Even box fan with high merv filter is really helpful.

I am sure we have them, there is a big HVAC system with a separate building, maybe its just getting long in the tooth.

My brother in Law is supposed to get married on my dock this Saturday, not looking great. Fingers crossed for a shift in the wind.

Yea, second the box fan with a furnace filter here. Makes a significant difference.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wildfire 2021

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    That whole unskilled labor comment…

I mean, it’s one thing to debate about basic entry-level line diggers, I guess, and even that is a real winnable debate when you start looking at the extraordinary fitness and a constellation of little things like operating and field-fixing saws, programming radios, keeping your line gear and PG together in a professional way, reading fuels/weather/terrain, the fine art of dry mopping, evaluating and falling burnt snags…

But more importantly, even as much more involved and skilled as the hand crewmember role is, there’s so much more to the field than the random line digger.

This thing is pervasive, and really bothers me personally, because coming off a career where I had to gain a lot of knowledge and master a lot of skills, I had to deal with trying to find a job in a world full of people who think what I did was dig dirt with a shovel and spray water with a hose. People whose dumb ass obese cousin in Ohio is a volunteer firefighter, or whatever…so heh heh they know what it’s like out there, heh heh.

They could never imagine the totality of, say, an IMT taking over a growing type 3 fire. Or being the first engine boss to arrive at an fast growing interface fire at the edge of one of these western cities. Or a “forestry technician” who spends most of his time dealing with IQCS and arranging and conducting the many formal training courses involved and creating and adjusting automated dispatch plans and staffing level plans for dozens of response zones at different levels of burning index and energy release component, all based on weather and fuel monitoring systems they manage, and specifying equipment needs and managing budgets…then once there’s a fire they’re in an airplane coordinating between dozens of resources on the ground and fight following and coordinating firefighting efforts and managing airspace for multiple tactical aircraft and communicating statuses and assessments to dispatch so other similar “forestry technicians” can complete complex reporting and notification and record-keeping functions so others can make important complex decisions about moving other engines and crews and aircraft to maintain preparedness for the next fire, ramping-up or down the response to the fire in question, food, water, fuel, hose, hose fittings, pumps, portable tanks, tires, medical care, giant tents, generators, dozers, pickup trucks, FAA restrictions, GIS mapping, news media, law enforcement, security, tires, chainsaw parts, helicopter parts, mobile showers, trash, rotating personnel in and out to meet length of duty. Managing timekeeping and contracts for the vendors of all those.
    An organization of dozens of functions, thousands of people, that’s arranged over days, if not hours.

And some fucking political douche looks at this and defends the shit pay and fucked up bullshit with this idea that, like…whatever, anybody can put on a banana suit and spray water with a hose. It’s infuriating, honestly.
    Word, J.

The whole notion of “unskilled labor” in and of itself is a bullshit construct, really. It should be way less task based than person based, yet as a society we’ve made it all about the task. There are complete morons that have somehow made it to the top, and while their job may come with a fancy title, they do a shit job and can and should be viewed as incompetent or unskilled.

When you get someone with a brain on the their shoulders doing “unskilled labor” work it is immediately noticeable and greatly appreciated both from a peer to peer and management standpoint. There is so much more that goes into seemingly rudimentary tasks than someone who doesn’t know the trade will ever be able to appreciate, and that can be applied across the board.

Looks like the weather of the last two days has helped them get the CA fires better under control. Hopefully the next few days of heat don’t cause them to blow up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The wall of smoke over the Carson Range (Tamarack fire) looking from Donner Lake is gone. Chance of T storms all week. We had thunderheads this afternoon but no rain or thunder.

I drove from NE WA to the Columbia River yesterday, and from there to Bend today…..Only clear spots were the Gorge and Mt. Hood……WA was really fucking bad all the way to Wenatchee….Vibes to the people on the Line…..
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Smoke is pretty thicc the last few days. Hasnt deterred the mosi's one fkn bit unfortunately. Fortunately no fire in the immediate valley by some stroke of luck. I think everyone is feeling it at this point. Mood around town is tense at best. Any rain % thats been forecasted hasnt hsppened. Very strange dayz

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Significant weather pattern change forecast for next week. Looks like rain in most of the places that need it. Washington and southern BC getting first real rain in over a month. Accumulated rain through Thursday evening, Aug 5.

Thanks for posting Alta. Man that'll be nice. I hope it doesn't all come with t-storms but I guess my hopes don't matter much.

Hot and humid here with a Red Flag Warning for the next 24 hrs due to T-storms.
    At least the wind is supposed to be light...

Hoping that brings a shift in the wind up here. Vernon had the worst air quality in Canada yesterday. Super thick again today.

Town is smoked out, but still jot as bad as 'loops or the Okanagan. WildFire is taking out one of my work areas, but so far no communities in my immediate area are at risk. Drought codes are through the roof all over. Trails are covered with flour and dead fir needles.
    Heading down to Van Is for a couple weeks holiday, mostly on Hornby Is. Forecast down there for the first few days is rain my wife told me. I responded that I'd be fine if it poured the entire week as long as the air is clear and some of it makes it into the interior. I'd dance in that downpour, ride the bike, gather shellfish and swim in complete contentment. Bring it!

Just discovered my onX map app has an active wildfire layer. This one is burning near the Big Belt backcountry hut southeast of Helena.

JFC I was just at the local feed store and somebody was refilling their propane tanks for a weed burner. I couldn't keep my mouth shut and asked them to please be careful and she looked at me like I was out of my mind.

Now that's how you do a fire line:

Elbow Creek Fire FB post:

Enjoy this example of some incredible work crews completed out on the fire line. What you are seeing is a successful burn out operation conducted by the Prineville Hotshots in the early stages of the fire. This work helped prevent further spread of the fire on the eastern perimeter, and subsequently helped secure this containment line. Thank you, Prineville Hotshots!

Burning out is an indirect firefighting tactic when access to the edge of the fire is not safe or possible. First, highly skilled, and certified firefighters will construct a control line, or sometimes use a preexisting line such as a road. Then, the crew will use drip torches (hand-held ignition device) to ignite the fuels on the side of the fire line towards the fire. The intention is to burn the fuels between the control line and the fire perimeter. The operation is conducted in small chunks under controlled conditions to keep the fire manageable.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Smoke invading Vancouver, BC, Seattle, and Portland. Surface forecast for Monday evening. Not sure when it will blow out. Definitely by Thursday when a cold front moves in.

Another day of smokey gloom here in Rossland. Not much of a long weekend, mostly hanging out inside with the air purifier cranked. Hoping that the rain forecast for later in the week actually materializes, unlike the past few months.

Jeezus... Hawaii is on fire too.