Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfire 2021

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Lots of monsoonal rains this week. The rains (and lightning) make it as far North as Idaho and Montana as far West as Oregon:

Cliff Mass on the topic:
    https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2021/...on-brings.html
    damn, let's hope so. weather channel not yet on board.

View of N Sister (R) and Middle Sis yesterday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	391.8 KB 
ID:	380568
    Nice little haze cover - AQI supposed to be 31 at the time

And a shot from the same location September 2018 (before the snow flew)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0802.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	648.1 KB 
ID:	380569
    Last edited by TBS; 07-26-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    damn, let's hope so. weather channel not yet on board.
    Sketchy, imho, because that energy can easily arrive as an hour of afternoon dry lightning and 50 new starts.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Charlie Warzel sounds like one of those douches that moves from NYC to Missoula and complains about ________ even though it has always been that way.

This is a good line, "I am ashamed to admit, returning home from a quick trip this week, that I felt pangs of resentment as my plane descended into the valley where I live." I can see this guy jetting back and forth across the country complaining about the "man-made climate crisis causing the smoke."
    I had the same thought when I read that...

I haven't seen it this smokey in a while. AQI 155...dipping into the red.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Sketchy, imho, because that energy can easily arrive as an hour of afternoon dry lightning and 50 new starts.
    Living on the east slopes of the Cascades, I’m not super stoked about this

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So how’s our Vets?
    He just called me. Burned up to the hill behind his house and was saved by a patch of black from another fire that had burned behind his place.

Just added a second filter over the inlet from my swamp cooler into the house. Woke up raspy this am.

that would be terrible. thanks for the education.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

And it’s dry enough that even if it rains they hold over and come roaring to life when it gets hot.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Living on the east slopes of the Cascades, I’m not super stoked about this
    Same here. There’s thunderheads forming this PM and the air has that staticky feeling

A lot of thunder and a little rain here. I'm surprised they don't have a red flag warning up like they have with previous thunderstorm predictions this summer. We do have a flash flood warning.

I just drove by a large heli staging zone and a massive crew camp for the Bootleg Fire. Looks like war out there. Impressive shit you guys do/did.

This was pretty good

Just got an air quality warning in CT. for smoke particles from California. We're all in this together!

feeling it for mags in Okanogan county right now. AQIs as high as 500 day after day.

I tell ya, it’s been wet as hell this year in Germany. Normally this weather drives me nuts and make me miss home out west. This year, not so much.... Vibes dudes

That whole unskilled labor comment…

I mean, it’s one thing to debate about basic entry-level line diggers, I guess, and even that is a real winnable debate when you start looking at the extraordinary fitness and a constellation of little things like operating and field-fixing saws, programming radios, keeping your line gear and PG together in a professional way, reading fuels/weather/terrain, the fine art of dry mopping, evaluating and falling burnt snags…

But more importantly, even as much more involved and skilled as the hand crewmember role is, there’s so much more to the field than the random line digger.

This thing is pervasive, and really bothers me personally, because coming off a career where I had to gain a lot of knowledge and master a lot of skills, I had to deal with trying to find a job in a world full of people who think what I did was dig dirt with a shovel and spray water with a hose. People whose dumb ass obese cousin in Ohio is a volunteer firefighter, or whatever…so heh heh they know what it’s like out there, heh heh.

They could never imagine the totality of, say, an IMT taking over a growing type 3 fire. Or being the first engine boss to arrive at an fast growing interface fire at the edge of one of these western cities. Or a “forestry technician” who spends most of his time dealing with IQCS and arranging and conducting the many formal training courses involved and creating and adjusting automated dispatch plans and staffing level plans for dozens of response zones at different levels of burning index and energy release component, all based on weather and fuel monitoring systems they manage, and specifying equipment needs and managing budgets…then once there’s a fire they’re in an airplane coordinating between dozens of resources on the ground and fight following and coordinating firefighting efforts and managing airspace for multiple tactical aircraft and communicating statuses and assessments to dispatch so other similar “forestry technicians” can complete complex reporting and notification and record-keeping functions so others can make important complex decisions about moving other engines and crews and aircraft to maintain preparedness for the next fire, ramping-up or down the response to the fire in question, food, water, fuel, hose, hose fittings, pumps, portable tanks, tires, medical care, giant tents, generators, dozers, pickup trucks, FAA restrictions, GIS mapping, news media, law enforcement, security, tires, chainsaw parts, helicopter parts, mobile showers, trash, rotating personnel in and out to meet length of duty. Managing timekeeping and contracts for the vendors of all those.
    An organization of dozens of functions, thousands of people, that’s arranged over days, if not hours.

And some fucking political douche looks at this and defends the shit pay and fucked up bullshit with this idea that, like…whatever, anybody can put on a banana suit and spray water with a hose. It’s infuriating, honestly.

I mean, it’s one thing to debate about basic entry-level line diggers, I guess, and even that is a real winnable debate when you start looking at the extraordinary fitness and a constellation of little things like operating and field-fixing saws, programming radios, keeping your line gear and PG together in a professional way, reading fuels/weather/terrain, the fine art of dry mopping, evaluating and falling burnt snags…

But more importantly, even as much more involved and skilled as the hand crewmember role is, there’s so much more to the field than the random line digger.

This thing is pervasive, and really bothers me personally, because coming off a career where I had to gain a lot of knowledge and master a lot of skills, I had to deal with trying to find a job in a world full of people who think what I did was dig dirt with a shovel and spray water with a hose. People whose obese cousin is a volunteer firefighter, or whatever.
    They could never imagine the totality of, say, an IMT taking over a growjj in g type 3 fire. Or a “forestry technician” who spends most of his time dealing with IQCS and training and creating and adjusting automated dispatch plans for dozens of response zones at different levels of burning index and energy release component, and specifying equipment needs and managing budgets, then once there’s a fire they’re in an airplane coordinating between dozens of resources on the ground and fight following and coordinating forefighting efforts and managing airspace for multiple tactical aircraft and communicating statuses and assessments to dispatch so other similar “forestry technicians” can complete complex reporting and notification and record-keeping functions so others can make important complex decisions about moving other engines and crews and aircraft, ramping-up or down the response to the fire in question, food, water, fuel, hose, hose fittings, pumps, portable tanks, tires, medical care, giant tents, generators, dozers, pickup trucks, FAA restrictions, GIS mapping, news media, law enforcement, security, tires, chainsaw parts, helicopter parts,
    An organization of dozens of functions, thousands of people, that’s arranged over days, if not hours.

And some fucking political douche looks at this and defends the shit pay and fucked up bullshit with this idea that, like…whatever, anybody can put on s suit and spray water with a hose. It’s infuriating, honestly.
    Preach. There is only so much you can teach a new firefighter. The rest is learned through hard fought experience and it takes years. If you don't have leaders with those years of experience, everyone (public included) is less safe.

Edited to add: and you can;t have one leader with experience leading a bunch of high-turnover rookies. That doesn't work either. Crew dynamics, having someone question split second decisions, etc., all requires experience.

This thing is pervasive, and really bothers me personally, because coming off a career where I had to gain a lot of knowledge and master a lot of skills, I had to deal with trying to find a job in a world full of people who think what I did was dig dirt with a shovel and spray water with a hose. People whose dumb ass obese cousin in Ohio is a volunteer firefighter, or whatever…so heh heh they know what it’s like out there, heh heh.

They could never imagine the totality of, say, an IMT taking over a growjj in g type 3 fire. Or a “forestry technician” who spends most of his time dealing with IQCS and training and creating and adjusting automated dispatch plans for dozens of response zones at different levels of burning index and energy release component, and specifying equipment needs and managing budgets, then once there’s a fire they’re in an airplane coordinating between dozens of resources on the ground and fight following and coordinating forefighting efforts and managing airspace for multiple tactical aircraft and communicating statuses and assessments to dispatch so other similar “forestry technicians” can complete complex reporting and notification and record-keeping functions so others can make important complex decisions about moving other engines and crews and aircraft, ramping-up or down the response to the fire in question, food, water, fuel, hose, hose fittings, pumps, portable tanks, tires, medical care, giant tents, generators, dozers, pickup trucks, FAA restrictions, GIS mapping, news media, law enforcement, security, tires, chainsaw parts, helicopter parts,

And some fucking political douche looks at this and defends the shit pay and fucked up bullshit with this idea that, like…whatever, anybody can put on s suit and spray water with a hose. It’s infuriating, honestly.
    “Fuck that guy” would have worked.

I feel you on the transition to a new career. I got lucky and was hired by someone who understood what was on my resume and whatever he threw at me wasn’t going to compare with what I had been dealing with.

They could never imagine the totality of, say, an IMT taking over a growing type 3 fire. Or being the first engine boss to arrive at an fast growing interface fire at the edge of one of these western cities. Or a “forestry technician” who spends most of his time dealing with IQCS and arranging and conducting the many formal training courses involved and creating and adjusting automated dispatch plans and staffing level plans for dozens of response zones at different levels of burning index and energy release component, all based on weather and fuel monitoring systems they manage, and specifying equipment needs and managing budgets…then once there’s a fire they’re in an airplane coordinating between dozens of resources on the ground and fight following and coordinating firefighting efforts and managing airspace for multiple tactical aircraft and communicating statuses and assessments to dispatch so other similar “forestry technicians” can complete complex reporting and notification and record-keeping functions so others can make important complex decisions about moving other engines and crews and aircraft to maintain preparedness for the next fire, ramping-up or down the response to the fire in question, food, water, fuel, hose, hose fittings, pumps, portable tanks, tires, medical care, giant tents, generators, dozers, pickup trucks, FAA restrictions, GIS mapping, news media, law enforcement, security, tires, chainsaw parts, helicopter parts, mobile showers, trash, rotating personnel in and out to meet length of duty. Managing timekeeping and contracts for the vendors of all those.

And some fucking political douche looks at this and defends the shit pay and fucked up bullshit with this idea that, like…whatever, anybody can put on a banana suit and spray water with a hose. It’s infuriating, honestly.
    Come on dude, really? If Californians had just raked their fucking forest we wouldn't have these fires in Idaho, Montana, or anywhere and there would be no need for firefighters. Buy a rake.

Yeah, I had a WTF moment when I heard that unskilled part too...

The Bootleg fire may get some rain today - forecast for the area sez "heavy rain". Even so, managers don't think it will turn the tide.

I was really surprised to read this on the Inciweb page for Bootleg. I knew they had to de-energize power lines, but had no idea about the effect of smoke on powerlines.
    Power distribution interruptions have occurred in SE Oregon from Fields, OR to Winnemucca, NV affecting power to pumps supplying agricultural ranches. There have been significant impacts to the CA power grid, causing strain on their power distribution system, which is a very sensitive issue. Smoke has already caused arcing due to the conductivity of the carbon particles in smoke, which impacts power distribution lines well ahead of the fire.
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7609/

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    feeling it for mags in Okanogan county right now. AQIs as high as 500 day after day.
    Thanks man. This is sure getting old. I was way too excited for my 20 pack of N95 masks to show up in the mail yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Thanks man. This is sure getting old. I was way too excited for my 20 pack of N95 masks to show up in the mail yesterday.
    Ugh, damn.