Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfire 2021

And Tannerite…fuck that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Subject arrested and charges filed on Robertson Draw. Tl;Dr version: John Lightburn, 55, of Bridger is facing two felonies and one misdemeanor after experiencing mechanical issues while riding in an area closed to motor vehicles, spilling fuel, and then lighting it by attempting to confirm that his bike was still producing a spark.

https://www.kulr8.com/bozeman/man-ar...520acea26.html

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Well, he did have spark.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Subject arrested and charges filed on Robertson Draw. Tl;Dr version: John Lightburn, 55, of Bridger is facing two felonies and one misdemeanor after experiencing mechanical issues while riding in an area closed to motor vehicles, spilling fuel, and then lighting it by attempting to confirm that his bike was still producing a spark.

https://www.kulr8.com/bozeman/man-ar...520acea26.html

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

With a last name like that….

Had some ash on the car the other morning on northern Front Range. Hope these storms bring a good drenching sans lightning

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The Wasatch Front has had 15 red flag days so far in June. Fireworks go on sale today as the debate rages on about who can and who can't restrict or ban them and where.
    1.9 billion dollars was spent on fireworks last year according to the Amer. Pyro. Assoc. This debate will rage on with all that money involved.

The area burning above 8,200 feet more than tripled in 2001 to 2017 compared with 1984 to 2000.
    Over the past 34 years, rising temperatures have extended fire territory in the West to an additional 81,500 square kilometers of high-elevation forests, an area similar in size to South Carolina.

Rocky mountain forests now burning more than any point in past 2,000 years
    the 2020 wildfires alone were responsible for 72% of the total area burned in high-elevation forests since 1984 in their study region, and Colorado had seen three of its largest fires on record.

Name:  um-research-rocky-moun-2.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  39.1 KB

Air Quality Impacts

Fire Kills Birds
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    1.9 billion dollars was spent on fireworks last year according to the Amer. Pyro. Assoc. This debate will rage on with all that money involved.
    you know its big biz....I did find it kind of odd in Utah that they were used (tents) as school/sports team boosters. The full on stores, like Phantom, et al, shouldnt be allowed in places where huge forest fires are a regular thing. I got one about 30 min from me just over in Pa...my parents have 50 acres, we do a pretty big show every year round the fourth, typically wait til a couple days after as you get killer deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The area burning above 8,200 feet more than tripled in 2001 to 2017 compared with 1984 to 2000.
    Well it can only go another 3000' until it runs out of trees.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Well it can only go another 3000' until it runs out of trees.
    It burned up to treeline in several cases last year and in at least one the fire just skipped over the alpine to find more trees: E Troublesome jumping the continental divide to burn down towards Estes Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I guess it gets a bit more windy up high too so that's another problem with those jumping.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    All that money going to China to celebrate America.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Consign that to "Things that make you go Huh?"
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Name:  11709218_1187155047977096_2249451832420134339_n.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  38.3 KB

In our case, our reservation brothers are getting a cut for the good shit.

I drove I-40 east to west thru AZ today. Smelled of smoke east of Flagstaff, rain showers west of Flag. I didn’t look up the RH, but the fires might be getting some help from that. Windy tho.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    In our case, our reservation brothers are getting a cut for the good shit.
    Same in NM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I drove I-40 east to west thru AZ today. Smelled of smoke east of Flagstaff, rain showers west of Flag. I didn’t look up the RH, but the fires might be getting some help from that. Windy tho.

Same in NM.
    Drove same stretch of I40 on Wed coming from Grand Canyon OW back to Sedona and had a 5-6 mile stretch of under 1/2 mile visibility due to smoke. Whole forest/hiking/biking/tours all shut down from Flagstaff south. Pic from Monday: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1624724452.309972.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	377981
    "Not all who wander are lost"

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Multiple fires reported and being responded to in Rowena. Fires started between railroad tracks and I-84. W-bound is currently closed and being re-routed in The Dalles. E-bound is backed up. Rowena residents are being evacuated.

“California is losing hotshots, the rock star firefighters with the track records to successfully fight these mega blazes.”

I didn’t realize we were having success with these large fires and that it was due to IHCs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was driving north up I-5 in Northern California today (Saturday) and noticed a bunch of smoke as I neared Dunsmuir. When I got up by Mt. Shasta I saw there was a fair sized fire on the lower north slope of the mountain. I got to see a large air tanker and a very large air tanker line up and make their drops, and a medium helicopter was working a bucket and landing at the Weed airport.

Not much wind, and the smoke was kind of light colored, so there’s a good chance they might be able to catch it tonite. Hope so, it’s going to be 115 degrees on Sunday. I felt glad to be visiting relatives and sleeping in a bed tonite instead of scraping line thru the night.

Edit: I guess they aren’t going to catch it tonite.
    https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/06/26...rn-california/
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 06-26-2021 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    “California is losing hotshots, the rock star firefighters with the track records to successfully fight these mega blazes.”

I didn’t realize we were having success with these large fires and that it was due to IHCs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It’s complicated, but there really is no substantial debate (among people who really know wildland fire) that shots accomplish the majority of the most important and most difficult work building fireline on project fires.

If we’re low on hotshots…I dunno…fucking good luck just letting everything rip to the next road downwind and catch 1000 spots (with no shots…who would normally be the best resource to hold a road bump)…

I dunno…I’d like to hear it from the inside. I don’t trust the media about wildland fire. I don’t trust them to understand hotshots, I don’t trust them to not insert agendas into individuals’ stories…I don’t trust them to understand the specifics of strategy and tactics that underpin any specific firefight or the overall setup of a given season or area command… none of it.

MS….

I know we kinda talked about this before, but do you get antsy when you’re watching one and have nothing to do with it?
    If not, count your blessings…that scenario makes me crazy, just all wound up with nowhere to go, nothing to do about it. I end up feeling like shit for a few days. My therapist has me trying to focus on parts I hated, like digging up moon scape stump holes all day…but when it’s clearly IA, and the air show is on, that’s not really where my mind goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    MS….

I know we kinda talked about this before, but do you get antsy when you’re watching one and have nothing to do with it?
    If not, count your blessings…that scenario makes me crazy, just all wound up with nowhere to go, nothing to do about it. I end up feeling like shit for a few days. My therapist has me trying to focus on parts I hated, like digging up moon scape stump holes all day…but when it’s clearly IA, and the air show is on, that’s not really where my mind goes.
    You know, not really. For one thing, I’m getting old and slow. When I was watching that (and I can still see it right now) I was on my way to grandpa duty and I knew I’d be comfortable and fed well. But I did sort of envy the air attack, knowing the air was pretty calm, there was a fairly interesting airshow going on, and they had a great view of Shasta and the Siskyous. But mostly it was ‘been there, done that, got the t-shirt’ for me. I could just picture the scene on the line perfectly.