Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tannus Vs Cushcore tire inserts

I’ve been a hardcore Cush core fan since the beginning. DH bike? Cush core. XC hard tail? Cush core. Beach cruiser? You better you bottom dollar Betsy. However, the new Tannus tubeless insert has caught my eye as a lighter weight option for climbing. Unfortunately the one quality I require from Cush core seems to be vaguely mentioned throughout the internet. That crucial question is how hard is it to blow a tire off a rim in a corner.

I have a problem with keeping tires in their home. Before Cush core I was smoking tires in corners with 40 PSI and tubes but this magical product fixed all my problems. I went from deciding to ruin tires/wheels or having no traction to having my cake and eating it like a 6 year old at a power rangers themed birthday party. I can’t live without inserts but as time goes on I can’t help but ask if there is now a better option? I understand the Tannus tubeless is not built like a dump truck as Cush core is. There will be limited flat tire performance and some support will go away, but how much? No one has been able to tell me how much of a comprise it will be swapping inserts.

If you have the answer please help me click that purchase button. I’ve been close many times but have yet to do so as I am worried I will be back to my tire murdering ways.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

1. First and foremost, if you're ripping tires off your rims as often as you report, your level of badassery is so far beyond 99% of the experts in here. Even the 1%er experts in here with mad dog schralping skillz would be hard pressed to make such cornering claimz. For the life of me, I can't imagine why you're turning to us.

2. I can't imagine anything holds the bead on as well as CushCore, unless it's ProCore. And I'd eat my delaminating Five Ten before I'd ever try that Nazi bullshit road tube full of sealant inside a road tire inside your mtb tire with a 7 inch long 2 stage stem madness.

3. Has anyone ever seen the Tannus stuff in person? I literally thought it was an April Fools joke when I first saw it. The website looks real though. Just confusing and weird, like black republicans.

4. Please buy some and report back to us. Honestly, I would 100% love to hear more about it. I for one just tried a Nuke Proof insert in my wife's bike to save money and weight. It's so loose in there it went on with no problem. It's also so loose in there she can feel it rattling around. She thought her wheel was falling off. So one of my projects this weekend is to swap the CC back in. Oh, my aching wrists and thumbs!
    However many are in a shit ton.

^^^
    Re: #1. Seriously. Utter badassery beyond anyone (both in here, and on the world cup downhill circuit). Or his pump gauge is broken. Or he's running shitty loose tires on shitty loose rims.

Re: #3. I have some of the original tannus things. Foam insert that surrounds a tube. I don't particularly like them, but I think they make sense in very particular situations. But their foam seems fine - a little less dense than cushcore, but it still has some meat to it. I'd bet their newer tubeless insert is actually pretty decent (assuming the shape is good - tough to say without fondling them).

OP probably means the tannus "tubeless". Their new liner. I put one in my 9er wheel . Smooths the ride and supports rhe sidewall and of couse prevents flats. Im not sure about keeping your tires from ripping off. I wont be doing that. It has helped keep the bead in place. Im now not weeping any sealant after the bikr park day. Only a couple days though so take that with a grain of salt. It went on relatively ez
    My nukeproof air liner did save some tires but rattled like jm2e mentioned. Road like shit too. The foam is too hard. I havent tried cush core. I have a vittoria air liner im going to put in to try a tannus compare. Probably going to buy some more tannus liners for the other bike though. Seems like a good design

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I have the Tannus tubeless insert, (rear) and just put it through pure tire hell down here for about twelve solid days of riding.
    I *think* it saved my ass a few times, with stupid low tire pressures and no flats. However, today on one of the gnarlier DH in the Sacred Valley, I hit a super square edged rock (water trough thingy), and put a centavo sized hole in the sidewall...HOWEVER, it was on a (gasp, don’t hate me) EXO casing, so I pretty much got what I deserved.
    HOWEVER, again, I was able to ride down a bumpy fire road/road for about a mile with no further damage to rim and insert.
    Hope that helps, it’s all I got.
    Coming home to order a DH casing tire...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4351.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	566.2 KB 
ID:	370934

This hommie rips bois..

I think the only answer for OPs epic badassery is truck-style bead lock rims or maybe solid rubber tires. Otherwise I think he’s just too powerful.

I like the Tannus tubeless insert a lot. That said, I don't think it's *as* good at keeping tires on the rim as Cush Core. Because I'm apparently way less badass than the OP, it's good enough for my purposes. And it's lighter and rides better, while still adding a bunch of sidewall support and rim protection.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have the Tannus tubeless insert, (rear) and just put it through pure tire hell down here for about twelve solid days of riding.
    I *think* it saved my ass a few times, with stupid low tire pressures and no flats. However, today on one of the gnarlier DH in the Sacred Valley, I hit a super square edged rock (water trough thingy), and put a centavo sized hole in the sidewall...HOWEVER, it was on a (gasp, don’t hate me) EXO casing, so I pretty much got what I deserved.
    HOWEVER, again, I was able to ride down a bumpy fire road/road for about a mile with no further damage to rim and insert.
    Let the record show, THIS is an example of a well articulated real world, anecdotal review, complete with specific examples of terrain and riding style.
    Thank You Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    1. First and foremost, if you're ripping tires off your rims as often as you report, your level of badassery is so far beyond 99% of the experts in here. Even the 1%er experts in here with mad dog schralping skillz would be hard pressed to make such cornering claimz. For the life of me, I can't imagine why you're turning to us.

I should have thrown I live at a bike park, have extra tummy muscle, and love to square off corners (we have some lovely pockets to smoke wheels and tires in). Maxxis has been more reliable and can hold up to the abuse longer. the Schwalbe tires are fucking garbage and will explode if looked at wrong. I’ve been too nervous to try much else after finding what I like ASSEGAI/DHR II/Shorty (Moondust level depending) up front and a DHR II in the rear

I’m sure I’m not the only person who has realized this place gives some of the best advice on the internet and is full of folks who are smarter than the average bear. It’s also full of die hard skiers who love to tinker who would likely carry these traits over to the bike world. The other issue is most bike advice has to come with a grain of salt due to the riders stoke factor. That’s why the collective seems like a great audience for advise.

I’ve read the online stuff and it sounds good, but it’s been one of the more difficult products to figure out because I am a special case. I’m not so worried about breaking stuff, because that’s inevitable here. I’m most worried about riding out on fire roads after I burped a tire that wouldn’t have had an issue with Cush core because the tannus isn’t as beefy. So far it sounds as if it’s worth the risk. I’ll give it a shot with an older set of tires that won’t break my heart if they get KO’d in round 1. If it doesn’t work for me I’ll pass them down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Most helpful bit of advice I have received so far. I don’t want to go back to tires with no inserts. The damping and ramp up are well worth the weight penalty and they don’t require a DH casing. I’ll give them a shot.

I have had a CushCore Pro in the rear of my current bike for a little over a year with Michelin midweight rubber at 3-4psi less than I ran previously (now 25psi, 80kg on very rough natural trails). Stellar performance, only failed me once when a landing on a very pointy rock dented my rim (EX511) enough to snap a spoke and lose the seal at the bead. I have a Tannus Tubeless waiting to go when my new frame arrives. Reports from people who have ridden both say that it feels more like running no insert compared to the very damped feel of CushCore, which some prefer and some don't, and sidewall support/rim protection "almost as good". I thought it was worth a try for 100g saved, and after having to reseat my CushCore 3 times in the space of a couple of weeks last summer I'll happily take an easier mount/demount. I put the Tannus on a bare rim just to look at it and all of this stuff makes sense. Feels like slightly denser foam than CushCore.

Agree with whoever said ProCore is your answer for the most secure bead lock. A local guide friend has been running it with DH rubber for 3+ years and swears by it, but is going to try my CushCore to compare when I get my new setup. Buy the parts individually and it's cheaper than the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiler17 View Post
    I should have thrown I live at a bike park, have extra tummy muscle, and love to square off corners (we have some lovely pockets to smoke wheels and tires in). Maxxis has been more reliable and can hold up to the abuse longer. the Schwalbe tires are fucking garbage and will explode if looked at wrong. I’ve been too nervous to try much else after finding what I like ASSEGAI/DHR II/Shorty (Moondust level depending) up front and a DHR II in the rear

I’m sure I’m not the only person who has realized this place gives some of the best advice on the internet and is full of folks who are smarter than the average bear. It’s also full of die hard skiers who love to tinker who would likely carry these traits over to the bike world. The other issue is most bike advice has to come with a grain of salt due to the riders stoke factor. That’s why the collective seems like a great audience for advise.

I’ve read the online stuff and it sounds good, but it’s been one of the more difficult products to figure out because I am a special case. I’m not so worried about breaking stuff, because that’s inevitable here. I’m most worried about riding out on fire roads after I burped a tire that wouldn’t have had an issue with Cush core because the tannus isn’t as beefy. So far it sounds as if it’s worth the risk. I’ll give it a shot with an older set of tires that won’t break my heart if they get KO’d in round 1. If it doesn’t work for me I’ll pass them down the line.

That made me think of my dh casing(not bike park casing) dh34. Since putting it on there is no squirm stuffing it into berms and no sealant seapage. I think its a wire bead. Havent tried the dh22 but it doesnt have a bike park casing so only dh casing and should offer the same bead grip. Dh22 would compare to the assegui in pattern and the dh34 is somewhere between a dhr2 and a minion for pattern and spacing.
    I liked being able to mount my new schwalbe big betty with not too much effort but maybe thats going to be a problem. All the michelins took some effort to get on a rim, especially with a liner. In the bike park the e wild, wild rockr2, dh 34 (bike park casing) i could feel flex in the rear. Initially i thought it was the lighter than dh tire casing but it was also the bead flex and id see sealant all the way around on my sidewall. Dh 34 with dh casing has bedn bomber. Dh casing mich come with a hefty price tag at almost dbl the enduro weight tires, which are a great price. Id order from "bike24" or "chainreaction cycles" for those
    Still like the tannus design but not many days on it to confidently say it works

Looking forward to some more hard riding Tannus reviews.
    I’m hearing “works almost as good, but your old arthritic hands won’t hurt for 2 days after wrestling them on & off!”

Wtf are you talking about? Whining and not bringing anything to the table , it sounds like. Maybe your wife flexes tires and can add some data?

1000% get the Tannus Tubeless. They ride better than any of the others by a huge margin IME

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Looking forward to some more hard riding Tannus reviews.
    I’m hearing “works almost as good, but your old arthritic hands won’t hurt for 2 days after wrestling them on & off!”

I actually needed help with my Tannus insert, I couldn’t wrassle it on my 34mm ID LB carbon rim. New tire and new Tannus.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

A heads up when setting up the Tannus, make sure you already have a good tape job seal before install, i.e. its been a biatch to seal my tire with a new tape job and Tannus install at the same time due to the limited transfer of sealant to the rim surface with the limited transfer ports.

Anyone else with Tannus notice an inordinate amount of squeaking rubber while riding? I like the ride quality so far but something with the tire/insert combo is noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    A heads up when setting up the Tannus, make sure you already have a good tape job seal before install, i.e. its been a biatch to seal my tire with a new tape job and Tannus install at the same time due to the limited transfer of sealant to the rim surface with the limited transfer ports.
    Good one. That makes sense. It wasnt really planned but i spun my tire a lot and also bounced it a lot and its holding well. I think i broke my normal MO and actually read the instructions not even thinking about those 2 sets of drain holes
    Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Anyone else with Tannus notice an inordinate amount of squeaking rubber while riding? I like the ride quality so far but something with the tire/insert combo is noisy.
    Mine are quiet on 2.4 tires with one rim being 35mm inner and one being 30mm inner. My meta am 29 is so quiet with that new shimano stuff and the chain protectors i probably wouldve noticed any noise. Microspline freehub body is pretty cool. The one spline that wraps around the cassette spline is a brilliant design. Way overdue

Well, This is probably outside the concerns of most riders here but...
    ... I did some rolling efficiency testing with Cushcore XC vs. Tannus Tubeless vs. No Insert on rollers using my power meter.

In a 2.4 Maxxis Rekon Race, The Tannus Tubeless was clearly more efficient at 20, 25, and 30 PSI.
    The Cushcore XC was more efficient than the Insert-less Rekon Race at 20psi, Less at 30 PSI and Similar at 25 PSI.

Interesting. How big was the different in terms of percentages?

Yeah, interesting for sure.

Was that on pavement, gravel, or bumpy trail?

This test was on rollers. Looking to test again in the real world.

Right now just speed at "x" watts, need to do some math to convert to rolling resistance values.

Speed for Tannus was 1 to 1.5 mph higher @ 160w for 25 and 20 psi.