Broken lock on Dynafit toe

Okay so this is dumb as hell, i pulled the lever too hard on my toe piece to lock it, and went too far. Subsequently tried to kick it open with my other boot and broke the little plastic thing that makes up the lock mechanism (if you can even call it that).

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it? Tried just stuffing a dowel in as a blocker to create a ghetto lock mode, but it didn’t work, the binding will still release when kick turning and shit.

It’s just tiny little piece of plastic. But I gotta say, the amount of plastic in this binding is annoying.

Broken one

Unbroken one

Carve up a little piece of plastic or aluminum and glue it on with plastic weld epoxy. Or you could maybe just build up the spot with only plastic weld epoxy? Honestly, it looks like that piece is replaceable (it looks like you can use a punch to knock out that metal pin? or does it accept an allen key maybe?) I would contact dynafit and ask if they have a replacement part available. Or ask the people at skimo co.

I'm not aware of anyone selling pieces/parts for toes. Considering the possible consequences of a toe piece failure, I'd just replace the whole toe. Skimo co will have answers for you.

I think I saw that they were selling these toe lock stubs on skimo.com but it was $20 plus shipping for these little guys. Seemed excessive. But it does come out with a small punch, not a hex key, unfortunately.

But do you really think it’s that sketch? I figured if I was just in mellow terrain and soft snow, a release while skinning would just be more annoying that catastrophic.

Yeah along the lines of what drizzle was saying, I was thinking I might just end up trying to make my own out of some hardened epoxy and a file.

Base plates are also cracked on these. But this plate is really just something for the lock to lever against, the actual metal part of the toe piece sits flat on the ski.

Just get the correct parts and fix it. If you must kick turn and shit, please, well off the side of the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by benzo92 View Post
    I think I saw that they were selling these toe lock stubs on skimo.com but it was $20 plus shipping for these little guys. Seemed excessive. But it does come out with a small punch, not a hex key, unfortunately.

But do you really think it’s that sketch? I figured if I was just in mellow terrain and soft snow, a release while skinning would just be more annoying that catastrophic.

Yeah along the lines of what drizzle was saying, I was thinking I might just end up trying to make my own out of some hardened epoxy and a file.

Base plates are also cracked on these. But this plate is really just something for the lock to lever against, the actual metal part of the toe piece sits flat on the ski.
    $20 for anything ski related is just a drop in a very deep bucket.

And personally, the terrain I tour in, yes, unwanted release is a big deal. So it does sketch me out.

Yeah I should stop whining and just pay up. Something about me just feels like it’s wrong for this 3 gram block of plastic the size of my fingernail to be so expensive. But what was i expecting?

Quote Originally Posted by benzo92 View Post
    Yeah I should stop whining and just pay up. Something about me just feels like it’s wrong for this 3 gram block of plastic the size of my fingernail to be so expensive. But what was i expecting?
    Either buy the part or take up bowling.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Either buy the part or take up bowling.
    Dynafit have a lifetime warranty now. This part is a very common failure on this toe style. If you contact Dynafit in Colorado they’ll send you a handful of these for free or better yet they may replace the whole toe pieces for a Dynafit speed radical which has the same mounting pattern but the more reliable older toe lock design. Ymmv

Damn! I just paid $20 for these haha

I’ll try anyway though. Thanks for the info.