Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Kinda like the Ribbon eh? 
    Does the Ribbon still have markers? The first few times I rode it there weren't any markers at all... and you could end up fairly easily in a dead-end up top on the mesas. Then someone glued friggin' reflective rubber flaps to mark the route.

Once you're off the mesa, the route is pretty "standard" from what I remember - there were some fun options in some of the slickrock dry wash areas, IIRC.

Ribbon is cool but seems like it’s best with someone to follow that knows it well or enough rides to be able to let er rip. Worth experiencing and also worth taking the time to explore the little side lines if you’re solo.

I can relate to the road climb hate. Climbing something that can be shuttled just feels wrong. It’s a necessary evil, though, especially when riding solo.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

If there's a good descent involved, I really couldn't give less of a shit about the route to the top. I also ride solo more often than not. Music or podcasts are definitely required, though.

I always imagine my fancy MTB tires wearing down really fast whenever I ride pavement on them. Probably totally illogical but it keeps me on dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If there's a good descent involved, I really couldn't give less of a shit about the route to the top. I also ride solo more often than not. Music or podcasts are definitely required, though.
    Ahhh... to be young again.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Slickrock is better on a motorcycle. Even better while tripping
    I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Seems like as good of place to ask as any, I'd be silly to think I can get a campsite at 18 road on a Friday at 5pm, right?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Seems like as good of place to ask as any, I'd be silly to think I can get a campsite at 18 road on a Friday at 5pm, right?
    You're silly to think you can get a campsite *anywhere* in Mesa County on a Friday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm kinda baffled by the number of anti-ribbon people there are in here. I feel like it's the rare trail that has 1) the novelty factor of cool slickrock features, 2) awesome views, 3) some interesting techy sections, and 4) a bunch of pretty fun trail in between #'s 1-3. And the road climb makes it not worth it? It's like 3.5 miles of paved road that's not particularly steep. I'm as lazy as they come, but that's like a 20-30 minute climb. I'd pretty much just have to give up biking if an easy 20 minute climb was going to serve as a major impediment to riding good trail.

Don't get me wrong, there are a bunch of great trails in the Lunch Loops area. But the Ribbon is the only one that stands out as being different, and it's the only trail in that area that feels semi-remote, vs. the lower trails that are essentially a bike park.
    I like Ribbon trail for the days when you had one too many beers at camp the night before. Shuttle trail for me.

Yes.

Probably better to just reserve a cheap hotel room.

If you don't mind driving ~15 minutes, you can find lots of easy camping options just over the Utah border.

If you don't mind driving ~15 minutes, you can find lots of easy camping options just over the Utah border.
    Yup. I'm pretty familiar with the area, just wasn't sure if 18 road was still a gong show every weekend. All I want is to ride good singletrack from my camper door like everyone else in this state, is that too much to ask? Lol

Specifically, Grand Junction

Ok I can’t stand it anymore. Two comments:

Anyone who doesn’t LOVE Moore Fun should probably sell their full suspension and just ride a hardtail. Or maybe just give up mtn biking and buy a gravel bike. Good god.

Second, 3.5 miles of climbing is too much? What the hell? I ride a 6” travel bike and as far as I’m concerned the very best rides in the state have climbs at least that long. 401. Monarch even with a shuttle. Scotties Run. Reno Flag Bear. Doctor Park. It’s part of the ride. Just fucking do it. Hell my kids were doing that stuff when they were 10. And they were happy for it, dammit.

Jesus people. This is upsetting.

I saw people shuttling White Ranch today. Goggles and regular helmets. The lazy DH enduro steez.

re: Moore Fun

Finally, a reason to post in this thread. I love Grand Junction. Passed through once and came back each of the next two years until covid made that not doable. My absolute gaper ass randomly hit this trail on my my first still new mountain bike. It kicked my ass and I hiked lots of it but it was insanely fun. I came across two or three other riders, each mentioning it's better to ride in the opposite direction lol. I live in Ontario and most of the trails in my area are along the Niagara Escarpment, which can be slightly tech but mostly fast and flowy through dense woods. Quite a change of scenery.

Stayed at the Grand Vista (good value, but garbage internets at the time - it was mlb play offs and the hotel tv didn't show any games). Really like the town. The roads there confused the hell out of me though.

Can't wait to drive 2.5 days to get there again.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    <snip>
    Second, 3.5 miles of climbing is too much? What the hell? I ride a 6” travel bike and as far as I’m concerned the very best rides in the state have climbs at least that long. 401. Monarch even with a shuttle. Scotties Run. Reno Flag Bear. Doctor Park. It’s part of the ride. Just fucking do it. Hell my kids were doing that stuff when they were 10. And they were happy for it, dammit.
    I'll do all those climbs to get to those rides (well, maybe not 401). But the road climb to the Ribbon - nah...

Hell - I did 4 shuttles in a day at Monarch once. That was a shitload of climbing - but worth it.

As always - YMMV.

Anyone have any updates or beta on whether palisade plunge will be ready this season?

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Anyone have any updates or beta on whether palisade plunge will be ready this season?
    Yes it will be done sometime this summer. The new portion on Grand Mesa is still under feet of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Yes it will be done sometime this summer. The new portion on Grand Mesa is still under feet of snow.
    Cool, figured as much. Couldn't find anything yet on trailforks or updates since last year.

Cool, figured as much. Couldn't find anything yet on trailforks or updates since last year.
    For update, head right to the source: https://www.copmoba.org/power-the-plunge/

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    For update, head right to the source: https://www.copmoba.org/power-the-plunge/
    Thanks. way more info than when I last looked last year.

Search jong

Palisade gets its own Enchilada!
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=320658

The Ribbon is infinitely better than Slickrock. Slickrock is 100% novelty, with about 5% actual fun riding. The Ribbon is like 30% novelty, 85% actually fun riding. (The percentages don't have to add up because novelty riding can also be fun).
    This is correct. In this era of terrible bike availability, anybody who can't have a good time on Ribbon should be forced to relinquish their bike to someone who actually likes bikes.

Bumping this (a year later). Im going to be in town tomorrow evening.

Prob gonna ride LL, maybe check out the controversial Ribbon.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Confused by the ribbon beta.

Park at LL, but then ride back into town to get onto Little Park? Is this a 1.5-2hr ride?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums