Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yup and yup.

Put me in the camp of everyone should ride the ribbon at least once. It's a different sort of experience.
    I am in *both* camps WRT the Ribbon. Everyone should ride it at least once, but ONLY if you can manage to get a shuttle to the top. 'Cause that road climb basically makes it not worth it.

YMMV.

Oh - and IMO, *any* ride at LL, regardless of how much time you have, should include Holy Cross. Every time.

The Western Rim trail in Rabbit Valley is not very techy, has great views and good mileage, definitely worth checking out. The food at Taco Party is pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    True, or at least that was the case last fall.
    I saw someone on MTBR post that they rode it last week too...

I'm kinda baffled by the number of anti-ribbon people there are in here. I feel like it's the rare trail that has 1) the novelty factor of cool slickrock features, 2) awesome views, 3) some interesting techy sections, and 4) a bunch of pretty fun trail in between #'s 1-3. And the road climb makes it not worth it? It's like 3.5 miles of paved road that's not particularly steep. I'm as lazy as they come, but that's like a 20-30 minute climb. I'd pretty much just have to give up biking if an easy 20 minute climb was going to serve as a major impediment to riding good trail.

Don't get me wrong, there are a bunch of great trails in the Lunch Loops area. But the Ribbon is the only one that stands out as being different, and it's the only trail in that area that feels semi-remote, vs. the lower trails that are essentially a bike park.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm kinda baffled by the number of anti-ribbon people there are in here. I feel like it's the rare trail that has 1) the novelty factor of cool slickrock features, 2) awesome views, 3) some interesting techy sections, and 4) a bunch of pretty fun trail in between #'s 1-3. And the road climb makes it not worth it? It's like 3.5 miles of paved road that's not particularly steep. I'm as lazy as they come, but that's like a 20-30 minute climb. I'd pretty much just have to give up biking if an easy 20 minute climb was going to serve as a major impediment to riding good trail.
    Maybe for you - but that road is fucking STEEP in at least a couple places. 20-30 minutes - you goddam braggart.

In my defense, I did say YMMV. I only do the Ribbon if I can get a shuttle.

But more importantly - did you know that there are mt bikers that don't like Moore Fun out at Loma? Fuckin' blasphemers.

I rode Moore Fun about 12 years ago and all I remember is not liking it. My wife was pretty new to riding and riding with me so I think that may be coloring my perception. Tell me why I'm wrong and convince me to ride it again!

Moore fun sucks!

At least I hear that all the time when I take unsuspecting xc minded friends on it.

It's a really good challenge to try to clean.

I just climb up the ribbon. Roads are for skinny tires.

You see, toast?

You that don't like Moore Fun should just take up knitting.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    <snip>
    I just climb up the ribbon. Roads are for skinny tires.
    This is actually the way to do it *if* you insist on "looping" it. From what I gather, these days, it's probably not a good idea as the DH traffic would likely drive you to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This is actually the way to do it *if* you insist on "looping" it. From what I gather, these days, it's probably not a good idea as the DH traffic would likely drive you to drink.
    It's not like the enduro front rangers. You see an occasional person when climbing it.

I am in *both* camps WRT the Ribbon. Everyone should ride it at least once
    So, like Slickrock?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    So, like Slickrock?
    Yeah - kinda like Slickrock.

You see, toast?

You that don't like Moore Fun should just take up knitting.

I am in agreement. There are people that think Moore Fun is fun, and there are people that are wrong. The same goes for The Ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    So, like Slickrock?
    The Ribbon is infinitely better than Slickrock. Slickrock is 100% novelty, with about 5% actual fun riding. The Ribbon is like 30% novelty, 85% actually fun riding. (The percentages don't have to add up because novelty riding can also be fun).

Slickrock is better on a motorcycle. Even better while tripping

Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    The Western Rim trail in Rabbit Valley is not very techy, has great views and good mileage, definitely worth checking out. The food at Taco Party is pretty darn good.
    I've been riding Western Rim for years, but hadn't for a few until last fall. I'm taking it off my list moving forward because it's gotten super loose and sandy thanks to all the moto traffic. Maybe my memory is hazy, but I remembered it being much more fun.

IMO the juice is worth the squeeze on the Ribbon with the road climb. I looked and it took us about 45 minutes to go from the gunny loop/free lunch trailhead to the ribbon on little park rd. Very casual pace, but the road isn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I am in agreement. There are people that think Moore Fun is fun, and there are people that are wrong. The same goes for The Ribbon.
    Oh I think the Ribbon is fun. As a shuttle.

It’s been a decade since I’ve done the ribbon but I still remember taking a far right line that was narrow - with bushes to your left and a cliff to your right - and riding it very fast with my friend following behind me who had never been on the trail before.

In my memory this was incredibly sketch thing to do but time has a way of amplifying things...

I’m firmly in the camp of “Ribbon trail is fun and unique”

Everyone should ride it at least once, but ONLY if you can manage to get a shuttle to the top. 'Cause that road climb basically makes it not worth it.
    Maybe for you - but that road is fucking STEEP in at least a couple places. 20-30 minutes - you goddam braggart.
    Sir, I generally hold you in high regard, but your degree of disdain for a 3.5-mile 1,200 vert road climb is challenging my convictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Sir, I generally hold you in high regard, but your degree of disdain for a 3.5-mile 1,200 vert road climb is challenging my convictions.
    I really, really, REALLY hate climbing road. Especially when it's something I don't have to.

Oh - and I don't know why the fuck you would hold me in high regard - I'm a fuckin' skill-less hack with questionable taste in tires.

ETA: I'm also old, fat, and slow - and those are my *good* traits.

You hate nevegals, high regard instantly achieved.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Slickrock is better on a motorcycle. Even better while tripping
    True. Rode it last year on the moto. Funny how all the mtb dorks think that it is all theirs. It was made by Hondas back before MTBs even existed.

Anyway. Ribbon is fun but I’m w/ Skerd. Shuttle only

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    You hate nevegals, high regard instantly achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    True. Rode it last year on the moto. Funny how all the mtb dorks think that it is all theirs. It was made by Hondas back before MTBs even existed.
    The other thing about Slickrock is that it can be fun as SHIT if you ride all over hell's half acre finding features to play on. If you follow the painted dots strictly, it's kinda meh. But there's a TON of fun shit in that sandstone up there...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's a *great* ride up in our Front Range high country that also involves a 5 mile/1500 foot road climb to loop it. Also won't ride that one without a shuttle. And it's a fantastic ride.

The other thing about Slickrock is that it can be fun as SHIT if you ride all over hell's half acre finding features to play on. If you follow the painted dots strictly, it's kinda meh. But there's a TON of fun shit in that sandstone up there...
    Kinda like the Ribbon eh? 😆