Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    'Kung Flu' got the Dave Chappelle stamp of approval as hilarious, so just call it that.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    They're contagious.
    more contagious than the flu it seems
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Ditto on the Spanish flu thing. When you're a powerful country you don't have to have diseases named after you. You can't call Covid the Chinese flu because it isn't influenza duh. And you can't call it Chinese coronavirus or Chinese Covid because there's a good chance there will be another one originating in China and then another. Better just stick with the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Don't forget the icing!

Don't shit on my cake and call it icing!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Was Alabama bro/sis and Mississippi cousins? What about Arkansas? I thought that was cousins...your confusion has confused me.
    Fuck 'em all

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Fuck 'em all
    That's what got them started.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I was just thinking that we didn't have enough covid threads on TGR and needed another one. Excellent!
    Variants.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Variants.
    lack of social media distancing
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Was Alabama bro/sis and Mississippi cousins? What about Arkansas? I thought that was cousins...your confusion has confused me.
    You missed the memo. Arkansas is cool now. Bentonville and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Don't shit on my cake and call it icing!
    Heh. Do you even know what a Boston Pancake is? I can assure you that the icing isn't shit.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Heh. Do you even know what a Boston Pancake is? I can assure you that the icing isn't shit.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ston%20pancake

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Ah yes scenic Lyme, PA along the banks of the Connecticut River. Also, we spell it "color" round these here parts.
    Subtle. Well played.

I was going to rage against op and edumacute him about connecticunt

But hats off to you
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I was just thinking that we didn't have enough covid threads on TGR and needed another one. Excellent!
    This isn't a Covid thread. It's a variant! ;-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Do the variants have an official name, like Covid-19, that people can understand? If so, maybe people could use those official names. Anyone got a list?

We are not the President of the US calling it Kung Flu after it has an official name that people know.

Platform and purpose for using Kung Flu seem to matter to some people.

Some people also have concerns about dickheads, who feel enabled by such speech, attacking their relatives.

Small number of people concerned about it on a ski forum to be sure.

Carry on with the fun...

Let me know when Brazilians are being terrorized for walking down the street by xenophobic assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Do the variants have an official name, like Covid-19, that people can understand? If so, maybe people could use those official names. Anyone got a list?
    I noticed on cbc they are referring to variants in their reporting in the following manner:

The P1 variant first detected in Brazil,
    The B117 variatn first detected in Britain
    etc.

A mouth full to say conversationally, but seems like a good, fact based reporting practice that won't offend anyone.
    27° 18°

Someone is catching on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    We can call the variants "Brazil" or "British"?
    Going against a fairly longstanding protocol of naming diseases/outbreaks after the location of patient zero or the outbreak origin such as "Lyme, Pennsylvania; Hantan, South Korea; the Spanish flu etc.
    The WHO or some other powers decided that calling the bat flu "Wuhan disease" was racist so we have to call it Covid-19 yet the variants are named after the regions/countries they appear in?
    Colour me confused.
    Who is the “we?”

Does the “we” include Sharon Williams?

“In the late afternoon on April 6, a woman burst into Good Choice for Nails Salon near Manhattan’s Chinatown and began berating and threatening the Asian workers. “You brought coronavirus to this country!” she yelled, according to police.

Her diatribe continued outside, where she spewed hateful remarks at an Asian person on the sidewalk.

Then, when a bystander intervened, she called the Asian American man “a Chinese mother f-----," according to police. But he wasn’t just another pedestrian: He was an undercover NYPD officer.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

Does the “we” include Brandon Elliot?

The security camera video was shocking in its brutality. A 65-year-old Filipino immigrant was walking down a street near Times Square when a man, in broad daylight, suddenly kicked her in the stomach.

She crumpled to the sidewalk. He kicked her once in the head. Then again. And again. He yelled an obscenity at her, according to a police official, and then said, “You don’t belong here.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...k-nyc.amp.html

The fuck is wrong with people?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

So we can't call the bat flu "Wuhan flu" but

How about Jan Myers? Is he one of the “we?”

“Prosecutors say Myers shouted, “Come on out, you slant eye” and “Hey Miss Vietnam… you’re not going to live very long.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kir...outputType=amp

Darrell Hunter - Is he part of “we?”

The victim, a 42-year-old Asian woman whose name has not been released, first called police on Sunday when she says Hunter entered the store threatening to shoot Chinese people. According to her report, it was the third day in a row that Hunter had been in the shop and caused a disruption. But by the time officers responded to the call, the man had fled.

Hunter allegedly returned early Sunday morning. Only, this time, the victim told police, he "used a hand gesture to mimic a gun, and simulated shooting the occupants of the business" before walking out the door.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/98327...for-hate-crime

3,795 incidents received by the Stop AAPI Hate reporting center from March 19, 2020 to February 28, 2021

Types of Discrimination

Verbal harassment (68.1%) and shunning (20.5%) (i.e., the deliberate avoidance of Asian Americans) make up the two largest proportions of the total incidents reported.
    Physical assault (11.1%) comprises the third largest category of the totalincidents.
    Civil rights violations — e.g., workplace discrimination, refusal of service, andbeing barred from transportation — account for 8.5% of the total incidents.
    Online harassment makes up 6.8% of the total incidents.
    National Trends

Women report hate incidents 2.3 times more than men.
    Youths (0 to 17 years old) report 12.6% of incidents and seniors (60 years old and older) report 6.2% of the total incidents.

https://stopaapihate.org/2020-2021-national-report/

Chinese are the largest ethnic group (42.2%) that report experiencing hate, followed by Koreans (14.8%), Vietnamese (8.5%), and Filipinos (7.9%).
    Incident reports come from all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
    Businesses are the primary site of discrimination (35.4%), followed by publicstreets (25.3%), and public parks (9.8%). Online incidents account for 10.8% ofthe total incidents

Chloe Kim on being Asian in a white sport:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp

I went to school with kids who are white, and it felt isolating. My sport is very white. As a U.S. snowboarder, I'm the only minority on the halfpipe team. And that becomes isolating, too. My friends and teammates were supportive, but I just didn't feel comfortable speaking about it because they couldn't fully understand my experience. I never felt I could talk to anyone, and then being in the spotlight at a young age put me in another difficult situation. I feel very stuck sometimes.

When I won my first X Games medal at 13, people belittled my accomplishment because I was Asian. After that, I stopped speaking Korean to my parents in public. I was so ashamed and embarrassed and hated that I was Asian. When I was around my white friends and my dad spoke to me in Korean, I'd respond in English. They'd ask me, "Do you not know how to speak Korean?" I'd say, "Not really. I never learned." But I was fluent. That was so disrespectful and makes me feel so guilty because my dad came to the States to give us a better life and pursue the American dream, or whatever that means anymore.

When I made the 2018 Olympic team, people started asking me about my identity and my story growing up as a Korean American. By that point, racism toward Asians had become so normalized, people would say racist things to me as jokes and I would just laugh because I didn't want to deal with the confrontation and say, "That really bothered me." I just said anything to get it over with because I was so uncomfortable all the time.

After Pyeongchang, after I accomplished something I'd dreamed about since I was a little girl, I was expected to be something more than an Olympic gold medalist. I was expected to speak up and be an activist. It was a lot of responsibility. I still don't know how to talk about all of this. It's difficult to talk about these things. In snowboarding, all my friends are white and no one had these conversations.