Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    You’re most definitely high. That I think we can all agree on.
    Hi^5!

or 10, whatever it takes

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Vanlife Test:

Sleep in your rusted shitbox, strewn with all the possessions you own, by the church or library? Low class
    Sleep in your late model pickup + slide in, or converted minivan, at some quiet trailhead? Middle class.
    Sleep in your custom build Sprinter, all perfectly organized, in the ski area parking lot? Upper class

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post

still a trucker
    swing your fucking sword.

The OFFICIAL Upper, Middle, and Lower Class Definition Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I’m right there with you. If you figure it out let me know.
    You and m2711c were the ones that agreed with me on this. Does that take it back to the upstate thread? There’s a clue there...

You upstate guys know you don't deserve nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    You and m2711c were the ones that agreed with me on this. Does that take it back to the upstate thread? There’s a clue there...
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    You upstate guys know you don't deserve nice things.
    That tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I'd define things as-

Upper class= people who live off interest, earnings, dividends, and rent paid for by the labor of others. (probably less than 3% of Americans)

Upper middle class= people who have careers or own small businesses that offer the ability to save and invest for the hope of one day living off the interest, earnings, dividends, and rent paid for by the labor of others either for a short stint in retirement or generationally if cards are played right. (Maybe 10% of Americans).

Middle Class= People who are able to float the image of stability, but have very limited control over their circumstances because of limited resources. Some may own houses with mortgages, some may rent. Cars and big ticket items are leased or bought on monthly payments, etc. Education or medical expenses risk bankrupting the entire family, etc. Small amounts of investible assets may be acquired, but generally not enough for a dignified retirement or hope of creating generational wealth.

Lower class= everyone else. These are the people who pay interest on everything they own, living paycheck to paycheck, never acquire significant investible assets and have no hope of a dignified retirement.

I have no data to make an educated guess on the breakdown of the % of the population who are middle class or lower class. Perhaps being on some form of government assistance is a good delineation between the two groups.
    Depressing, but true. Through some cosmic good fortune I’ve been able to live my life working at something I enjoy, and only as much as I need to, owning my home, and saving towards a dignified retirement. Raised in a very different middle class egalitarian time, I always assumed that every modern enlightened democratic society aspired to share its prosperity and provide similar opportunities to all but the physically and cognitively disabled (who would be supported with compassion) but it clearly hasn’t worked out that way. The upper (rentier) class decided (with technology enabling them) to take it all for themselves, and leave the increasingly irrelevant and easily manipulated masses to wallow in ignorance and addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    My semi-serious answer to this impossible question? Class is defined by your ability to fund convenience across your life.
    yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at too with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think the definition should be based more on what you can and can't do versus a simple income number, or income with some COL adjustment.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    whatever it takes
    220, 221...
    I still call it The Jake.

Wagner Custom --Upper
    Rossignol up to Kastle - Lower Middle to Upper Middle
    3 mount special on TGR Gear swap --Lower
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Wagner Custom --Upper
    Rossignol up to Kastle - Lower Middle to Upper Middle
    Could I get a ruling on where Rax skis fit in this distribution?

Are they still in business? Tom from Austria hasn't updated the website since 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Whelp, now I know who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Whelp, now I know who I am.
    Perhaps save up and get a 2 mount next season?

Sloppy seconds are better than thirds.

Part of my childhood was with my single mother in college, no car, no tv, thermostat on 50, taking the bus to the thrift store for used clothes, etc.
    Then she graduated and built up a good career and we had a decent car and I was able to ski and play other sports and stuff. Middle class identity with a pretty good understanding of what poverty feels like.

Now, my wife and I had some dips with her previous company going out of business, but we sit right at the middle income number.

Kevo’s description of the middle is exactly right.

It’s a very half empty half full thing.
    My work is spent around poor people, and I’m often kind of guilty at the contrast. Then again, I’m a skier and that world is so full of wealth it can be hard not to want to keep up.

A local politician once said he tells how things are going by tires and roofs.
    You see a lot of bald tires and worn out roofs where my bus goes... and you know it’s getting ugly when you start seeing tires on the roof, holding tarps down.

I have ok tires, metal roof hanging in there.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Depressing, but true. Through some cosmic good fortune I’ve been able to live my life working at something I enjoy, and only as much as I need to, owning my home, and saving towards a dignified retirement. Raised in a very different middle class egalitarian time, I always assumed that every modern enlightened democratic society aspired to share its prosperity and provide similar opportunities to all but the physically and cognitively disabled (who would be supported with compassion) but it clearly hasn’t worked out that way. The upper (rentier) class decided (with technology enabling them) to take it all for themselves, and leave the increasingly irrelevant and easily manipulated masses to wallow in ignorance and addiction.
    QFT

Sent from my SM-P610 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

pretty good childhood/ ok house but we only had one car/ black & white TV/ really good food/ mom didn't work

being a made man at 18 has put me on easy street

but i do see people now who wine about their lot in life

I often wonder how many squandered their chances ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know