Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    So I think it's a mistake to break class in the US down to just money. It certainly is the dominant thing, but the reason class isn't more fluid is that it isn't the only thing. Things like attending high prestige schools and having certain manners/interests/knowledge allow some individuals access to certain kinds of networks that someone with a similar income but without those class markers is excluded from. This is one of the things that makes class "sticky". Something happens to the income stream of the Harvard (or even Brown!) graduate, and that durable class marker ensures they don't fall far economically. A small plumbing supply company owner might make more most years but likely lacks those markers and network access so the class position is much more closely tied to income.
    So thread title should reference upper, middle, and lower caste.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    The higher class you are, the shittier you treat the help, right?
    There's a difference between highly paid and high class.

I was working on a $50 million dollar home for a well known billionaire and come Christmas, this guy buys honey baked hams for every man jack on the jobsite. At that time there was over 300 people on site every day. I saw guys who literally couldn't comprehend the act. They had never seen anything like it.

The clients were a very appreciative and gracious couple. The wife would drag an ice chest full of popsicles around to hand out when it was hot. unfortunately this was not common behavior from our tech titans.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Lower class asks "Did you have enough to eat?"
    Middle class asks "How did the food taste?"
    Upper class asks "How did the food look?"
    You're on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    So thread title should reference upper, middle, and lower caste.
    Nope, class isn't quite as sticky as caste as there are no assumed innate assigned properties, whether they are acceptable professions or purity rules. I've spent a good deal of time in India, where caste is absolutely still salient, and while there are overlapping features, it is still very different from class in the US. In some ways it's more like if you mixed race and class together and hardened their ascriptive properties a bit.

I'd define things as-

Upper class= people who live off interest, earnings, dividends, and rent paid for by the labor of others. (probably less than 3% of Americans)

Upper middle class= people who have careers or own small businesses that offer the ability to save and invest for the hope of one day living off the interest, earnings, dividends, and rent paid for by the labor of others either for a short stint in retirement or generationally if cards are played right. (Maybe 10% of Americans).

Middle Class= People who are able to float the image of stability, but have very limited control over their circumstances because of limited resources. Some may own houses with mortgages, some may rent. Cars and big ticket items are leased or bought on monthly payments, etc. Education or medical expenses risk bankrupting the entire family, etc. Small amounts of investible assets may be acquired, but generally not enough for a dignified retirement or hope of creating generational wealth.

Lower class= everyone else. These are the people who pay interest on everything they own, living paycheck to paycheck, never acquire significant investible assets and have no hope of a dignified retirement.

I have no data to make an educated guess on the breakdown of the % of the population who are middle class or lower class. Perhaps being on some form of government assistance is a good delineation between the two groups.

While it is imperative to have enough money to eat and enjoy life, I hate categorizing people into "classes". I'd rather discuss people according to their moral fiber. Mensch, Good person, Douchenozzle. Fuckwit. Not too long ago, I had a family over for dinner. Actually, I think that a maggot was present, too. The father (and wife and kids) were so full of themselves. More than once, he bragged about being in the top 1%. Even in my drunken stupor I grew bored before the end of cocktails. By desert, I was ready to throw them out. No Sambuca for them.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I buy my a carhartts as seconds online. Does that categorize me as underclass or simply undesirable?
    that categorizes you as cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    If you wear Carhartts you get to claim “workingman” or “middle class” status no matter how much you make.
    everyone wears Carharrts up here

with their blundstones

the upper class would buy a new pair for a wedding
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Lower class asks "Did you have enough to eat?"
    Middle class asks "How did the food taste?"
    Upper class asks "How did the food look?"
    What if you eat your lunch out of a baggie on the lift with your gloves on even in snowstorms (especially in snowstorms?) Where does that get me classified?

There's a weird amount of truth in the saying once a dirtbag, always a dirtbag.

Why is there so much pride for me in maintaining that low class lifestyle? I could be Bill Gates rich and I'd still be eating cold sandwiches out of baggies on lifts...

sprinter van check
    golf sitting by the pool sunday brunch at the country club check
    smoking weed out of beer can bowl check
    definitions are just ways to put people into boxes to try to lable them who they might be
    you guys are slipping

Have you smoked crack out of a broken off car antenna?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    was that in hunter's biography?
    I used to put it in the bowl with some weed

that categorizes you as cheap.
    I prefer the term, 'thrifty'.

I propose a vanlife test:

Sleep in your rusted shitbox, strewn with all the possessions you own, by the church or library? Low class
    Sleep in your late model pickup slide in, or converted minivan, at some quiet trailhead? Middle class.
    Sleep in your custom build Sprinter, all perfectly organized, in the ski area parking lot? Upper class

Flame away !
    I sleep in my standard ‘17 Subaru between a trailhead and a lift base. Does that make me lower middle class or upper lower class?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I prefer the term, 'thrifty'.
    "Expenditure adverse"

My semi-serious answer to this impossible question? Class is defined by your ability to fund convenience across your life.

it’s just a matter of time

I don't know about upper, middle and lower. But I do know I am high class. And you cats ain't.

lift eaten sandwiches is just tastiers fer sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I don't know about upper, middle and lower. But I do know I am high class. And you cats ain't.
    You’re most definitely high. That I think we can all agree on.

If you wear Carhartts you get to claim “workingman” or “middle class” status no matter how much you make.
    This is Harrison Ford’s MO around here.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Lower Class: Walmart Bike Shaped Object
    Middle Class: Diamond Back
    Upper Class: Yeti

(Does not apply if you work in a shop, then you are just low-class)

the Yeti thing is a cliche now, they actually are cheaper than many other brands
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    There's a weird amount of truth in the saying once a dirtbag, always a dirtbag.

Why is there so much pride for me in maintaining that low class lifestyle? I could be Bill Gates rich and I'd still be eating cold sandwiches out of baggies on lifts...
    I’m right there with you. If you figure it out let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    depends on what kind of car the antenna is from

if it is your own antenna that would be pretty low class
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know