WTB: lightweight touring gear

I want to ski some volcanoes this spring and my current touring setup is too heavy for the longer missions. I drove around salt lake today and looked at a bunch of different gear and created a wishlist of gear if I had infinite funds. Looking to see if any of the maggots are selling gear similar to what I’m looking for.

DPS Pagoda Tour 106 (184cm)
    Tecnica Zero G Pro Tour 25.5
    G3 Zed
    Crampons for ski boots (leverlock style not the strap style)
    Axe or whippet

Thanks
    Happy sufferfest season!

If you’re focusing on volcano skiing and funds are an issue, you can definitely get away with a cheaper and lighter setup than what you have proposed. You do not need a boot as stiff as a zero g or a ski as wide as a pagoda 106 to ski volcano corn.

85-100mm waist ski, 1200 - 1300g boot, skimo race/minimalist tech bindings are the type setup I use and frequently see on spring volcano tours, though of course people just run what they brung.

I have found spring volcano skiing is tough on boots due to dirt approaches and sharp volcanic rock. The zero g has fairly soft plastic, so expect a shortened life span if you’re planning on spending a lot of time in the PNW. (I have a pair and only use them for winter touring for this reason).

You could probably buy some used zero g 85 and scarpa F1s for the price of used pagodas or zgtp and get more than adequate volcano performance.

Obviously the setup you’ve thrown out would also be a killer lightweight Utah touring setup so maybe worth the extra cost/weight and a short trip to the PNW wouldn’t affect the lifespan of the gear too much.

Sorry that doesn’t help your gear search. Just hoping to save you some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    Obviously the setup you’ve thrown out would also be a killer lightweight Utah touring setup so maybe worth the extra cost/weight and a short trip to the PNW wouldn’t affect the lifespan of the gear too much.
    That's kind of the idea. Obviously I wouldn't be using the setup just for volcanoes but that's the inspiration for me looking at lighter gear. I'd definitely prefer not to spend $1200 on skis. But after looking at a bunch of different skis, the shape and weight of the pagoda really stood out to me. I was turned off by most of what I saw in the lightweight touring category: stiff, straight and narrow like a damn 2x4. I'd like to be able to ski the soft stuff without having to make hop turns. I'm looking for something in the 100-105 range and the wide shovel on the pagoda looks really appealing for railing chop and wind buff.

jrredho just posted some ZGTP in your size...
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.